Author Topic: Benchwork for staging  (Read 953 times)

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
Benchwork for staging
« on: August 31, 2013, 05:29:27 PM »
After a long hiatus, I am starting to organize for adding staging to the C&I Sub, which will be the 1' x 8' extension shown at the south of the track diagram below.  Please would y'all to talk me through a few choices for the benchwork?

The staging will be attached to the wall, and here I am considering either a.) metal brackets attached at the joists on 16-inch centers; or b. supporting the roadbed/shelving on storage containers, which would be backed with plywood and attached to the wall, but which would not extend the full length of the staging shelf and would leave a foot and a half or so of the shelving cantilevered on each end.  Is there any reason not to use 3/4-inch thick laminated shelving for this application?  I guess I am asking about the likelihood of warping or distortion over time.  Alternatives would be 3/4-inch hardwood shelving such as oak or birch, or particle board, or perhaps just plywood?

Regards,
Paul

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
Re: Benchwork for staging
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 09:52:51 PM »
Paul, you could use a hollow core door. You could also fabricate L brackets. Or you could buy them Pre-made. Heck,, just one sheet of plywood would be all you need. You would have material for the sub roadbed and all supporting benchwork members.

I could do it even with just a 2'x 8' piece of plywood. Would not even need to be 3/4", you could use 5/8". That section would be one piece of 1'x8' for the top and 7 pieces of 1"x2" material, with a little scrap left over .

You could also use the adjustable shevling brackets and Pre- made shevling.

Key thing is,,,do what you will make you happy.

Adios,Wyatt

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
Re: Benchwork for staging
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 02:36:46 AM »
Paul, I know it's just a staging yard but if it were me, I'd use plywood on a 1x2 inch vertical frame for stability with 1x2 cross joists at about 16 to 24" and screw the assembly to the wall studs. One or two brackets with diagonal brace should hold it steady. I you have humidity issues where you live, I'd also paint both sides of the assembly to seal it before Laing track. I built a similar staging yard in my uninsulated garage and its steady as a rock.
Have fun whatever you choose to do! Interesting track work btw...
Otto K.