Author Topic: Overland Models SD70  (Read 2094 times)

MarkVoight14

• Respect: 0
Overland Models SD70
« on: August 26, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
I was at the BedFord N Scale Weekend show at the Pro-care center this past weekend and I purchased a Brass Overland Models SD70. It looks beautiful and is a good runner; however once in a while it will stop but the motor will still hum. To get it to move again I have to reverse it, move it, then set it to forward again. I was wondering if anyone has had similar problems with an SD70 or another Overland engine and knows of a way to fix this.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1529
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: Overland Models SD70
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »
Mark,
Based on your Introduction, I was wondering if you were there.  You'll have to get in next years' picture.

As to your loco, start here:

http://www.spookshow.net/omisd70.html
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1715
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:59:54 PM »
Could be some little piece of something stuck in one of the gears. I'd check that first. Internally, there's not much going on -

Cheers,
-Mark

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:42:06 PM »
It is about time you joined us here on the RailWire, Mark! I noticed that you neglected to mention the fact that your SD70 has DCC, which may be contributing to the problem. I hope someone here can help you in time for Friday! Remember, if you need any help on disassembly/maintenance, you know who to call.
- Christian J. Davis

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:19:52 AM »
If there's a decoder in there, it could be interfering with one of the driveshafts (depending on the installation). Running it with the shell off might give you a better idea of what's going on.

-Mark
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:03:14 AM by spookshow »

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 07:27:09 AM »
I used to have one and had the same problem - but only on curves. At that time I was using Unitrack, I think 18" radius?  I sent it to Overland a couple of times and it was never fixed.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 07:28:49 AM by ljudice »

conrailthomas519

• Crew
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 09:16:56 AM »
Mark, Without seeing the locomotive, Thoughts are there is something caught in one of the gears that is causing this problem. Try turning the locomotive upside down and touch the wheels with jumper wires and watch each wheel on each truck. You should be able to detect which one is binding up.
Another option is to package and ship the locomotive to the repair department, attention Roger Frank @ Caboose Hobbies in Denver, Co. He will take care of this issue Free for you as a favor to me, for I already made contact with him about this issue. So he is aware of the problem. If you so choose to do so,  let me know and I will notify him.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:42:49 AM by conrailthomas519 »
TMM

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 11:26:16 AM »
*Bump*

I needed this to stay near the top so Mark can get the help he needs. Neither if us could get the locomotive mechanism to separate from the shell even after removing the screws. Any ideas?
- Christian J. Davis

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »
Did you remove the screws hidden underneath the couplers? Those are the ones that actually hold the shell to the chassis.

-Mark

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 02:55:16 PM »
Yes. I made sure that he removed those (seeing as he is unfamiliar with brass locomotives). I personally observed the removal of all six of the underside screws. Would it be better to leave the fuel tank attached to the frame and pull it using that? With the fuel tank removed, we are at a loss as to where would be a good place to pull the mechanism out (without damaging the trucks, of course).
- Christian J. Davis

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 03:41:32 PM »
There is no need to remove the fuel tank screws - not connected to the shell at all.

Honestly, it's just the screws on the ends that hold the shell on. The shell should just lift off with a minimum of effort once those are out (unless decoder installer guy did something insane like glue the shell on or something).

-Mark