Author Topic: Atlas Forum MT SW1500 DCC Thread #2 :)  (Read 12412 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: First roadnames for MT SW1500s
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2013, 09:08:37 PM »
Bingo, the N trak club I was in in Vegas did all 4 tracks DCC, as we had mountain line.  Here in Spokane we do all DC as most of the members don't want to convert.  There has been talk of allowing one or more tracks to run as DCC, but between the 4 members with DCC, I run Digitrax, 1 has an NCE system, and 2 have MRC.

Since decoders are all compatible, the type of commend station and booster hooked up to one or more of the N-Ttrak track should not make a difference.  All DCC decoders are compatible with all DCC systems.  The only possible problem would be the throttles.  But if any of you has a system with enough throttles to allow all interested members to run their trains on the DCC track then you're all set.  Often (on small N-Trak setups) it doesn't make sense to run more than one or two trains on the same track anyway. Then, you only need a DCC system with one or two throttles.  DCC really shines when it comes to lighting (and sound). Even with a single train running, if it can show off its lighting or sound capabilities to the audience at the train show, you have reached your goal of attracting them to your layout.

But this is really OT here, so we better stop discussing this before we get a spanking from the moderators.  :oops:
. . . 42 . . .

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2013, 01:02:36 AM »
Thread drift is fine, and par for the course around here.  It's when people start lecturing each other that the yellow flags go up.  Now back to DCC and Ntrak.  ;)

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2013, 01:32:32 AM »
I would guess about half the N scale sold at our shop either comes with DCC installed or ends up with a decoder at a later point. One thing that almost every customer asks about anymore is DCC readyness with the intent to upgrade at some point. DCC is in the minds of many customers. I have only one customer with what I consider a large layout, that is still DC only.

BTW - Our Ntrak club is set up to run any combination of DC or DCC. We have 3 Aristo Throttles and 3 Digitrax boosters set so that each line can select from either DC or DCC.
Tony Hines

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4593
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2013, 05:11:59 AM »
I would guess about half the N scale sold at our shop either comes with DCC installed or ends up with a decoder at a later point. One thing that almost every customer asks about anymore is DCC readyness with the intent to upgrade at some point. DCC is in the minds of many customers. I have only one customer with what I consider a large layout, that is still DC only.

Wow, about half?  That is more than I expected. Very nice!
. . . 42 . . .

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2013, 05:41:07 AM »
Since decoders are all compatible, the type of commend station and booster hooked up to one or more of the N-Ttrak track should not make a difference.  All DCC decoders are compatible with all DCC systems.  The only possible problem would be the throttles.  But if any of you has a system with enough throttles to allow all interested members to run their trains on the DCC track then you're all set.  Often (on small N-Trak setups) it doesn't make sense to run more than one or two trains on the same track anyway. Then, you only need a DCC system with one or two throttles.  DCC really shines when it comes to lighting (and sound). Even with a single train running, if it can show off its lighting or sound capabilities to the audience at the train show, you have reached your goal of attracting them to your layout.

But this is really OT here, so we better stop discussing this before we get a spanking from the moderators.  :oops:

Pretty much our issue is lack of throttles for all the systems, club "owns" an MRC system, but no idea how many throttles.  And being none of them are fairly cheap, I'm not going to buy one for a system I can't use at home.  Most of our setups are fairly small, so maybe 2 trains, but most likely one per track...only reason most of us have thought about DCC is we have a t yard, so it comes out on blue in one direction and yellow in the other...with DCC we can DCC blue and yellow and cross over to the other track to get back into the yard to park.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2013, 05:43:14 AM »
Wow, about half?  That is more than I expected. Very nice!

Honestly that is more than I expected too.  The 2, well 3, but 2 are the same, just 2 store fronts, that sell N scale here, the main one has no N scale DCC equipped. And the other 2, have about half and half, however the inventory doesn't seem to move.

I've been tempted to buy a few of the DCC equipped units to swap out with my early non DCC ready Atlas units.  Prices aren't bad, sub $100 pre tax, so if I could sell the old mech with new shell for a decent price, I feel I made out.

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2013, 07:34:10 AM »

BTW - Our Ntrak club is set up to run any combination of DC or DCC. We have 3 Aristo Throttles and 3 Digitrax boosters set so that each line can select from either DC or DCC.

Thanks for real info on N and DCC.  From your post, it sounds like maybe 25% of N scale locos initially come with DCC.  Do your customers prefer  upgraded decoders over the simpler factory installed ones?  Or just not quite ready for DCC level yet? 

It makes sense that large layouts favor DCC.  Any estimates of how many "large" vs. "tabletop" N scale layouts you sell to?  Or, as the intent of my original NTrak question, how many of your N scalers are N Trak only, with no layouts?  Thought it might influence what was bought, and for that matter, if MT considered switchers as something to sell to small, tight radius, switching home layouts, etc.  Just trying to understand the MT thought process.....if there was one!

I recall dithering for years about DCC, with a fairly large layout, hundreds of DC locos.  Again, I may be wrong considering myself typical, since I made the decision, I am somewhat surprised that others 7-8 years later or so are still struggling like I was!

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +907
Atlas Forum MT SW1500 DCC Thread #2 :)
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
Comment Removed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:52:29 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
But the artwork shows Blomberg road trucks...this isn't correct for SW1500s, is it? The text indicates that they will come with AAR trucks so the artwork is a bit odd, unless I am missing something (which would be typical for me).

Best wishes, Dave

What art work are you looking at????? The art work I have seen definitely does NOT have Blombergs!!!!

learmoia

• Crew
Re: Atlas Forum MT SW1500 DCC Thread #2 :)
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2013, 11:42:33 AM »
Comment Removed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:03:51 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »

Thanks for real info on N and DCC.  From your post, it sounds like maybe 25% of N scale locos initially come with DCC.  Do your customers prefer  upgraded decoders over the simpler factory installed ones?  Or just not quite ready for DCC level yet? 

It makes sense that large layouts favor DCC.  Any estimates of how many "large" vs. "tabletop" N scale layouts you sell to?  Or, as the intent of my original NTrak question, how many of your N scalers are N Trak only, with no layouts?  Thought it might influence what was bought, and for that matter, if MT considered switchers as something to sell to small, tight radius, switching home layouts, etc.  Just trying to understand the MT thought process.....if there was one!

I recall dithering for years about DCC, with a fairly large layout, hundreds of DC locos.  Again, I may be wrong considering myself typical, since I made the decision, I am somewhat surprised that others 7-8 years later or so are still struggling like I was!

25% pre-installed is about right  but keep in mind, with Bachmann loco's predominantly coming with DCC installed now, it is starting to skew the numbers. Also the number of sound installed locos also adds to that precentage.  I rarely order Atlas loco's with DCC installed because nobody wanted the old Lenz decoders that were in them. Now that they are coming with better decoders, it makes them a little more appealing but I still think most people want to choose for themselves. I have 8 locos on my workbench right now to install DCC for a customer. A lot of sales anymore hinge on whether I have the correct decoder for the loco on hand.
Tony Hines

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2013, 02:29:34 PM »
Factory
DCC installation percentages are of course a valued number.  A more realisic number would be the pecentage that are sold at retail with DCC installed or accompanying locos when they leave the store.  Especially interesting would be the percentge that leave with a complimentary decoder on the same receipt or a special order placed.  Locomotives with choices can breed additional item sales.  Customers may balk at a model wih a regular decoder if they really wanted sound, the additional cost of an included piece that adds no percieved value may lose a sale.  The value peception for DC boards is about nil at least in my mind, they live in a static bag awaiting a day they are needed for testing or a fue use I'm currently unaware of. 

Ideallly we could know:
locomotives sold
locomotives with factory DCC
Atermarket decoders sold
number of factory decoders replaced

Wildcards would include function only decoders, sound add ons, replacements for failed decoders, and decoders that are stashed away for future use.  Probably more reasons that I'm just not thinking of right now.

Dealers probably appreciate the opporunity to profit a few coins from installaitons.  I notice at my LHS labour seems to be negotiable depending on ease of installation, availability of appropriate decoder, and simple desire to see lingering stock items 'go home with someone'...
Support fine modeling

learmoia

• Crew
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »
Comment Removed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:02:48 PM by learmoia »
~Ian

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1762
    • My website
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2013, 06:23:00 PM »
All I can say is--- I need at least one, maybe a couple.

But CSX has flexcoil trucks.

Will have to wait for future runs.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.