Author Topic: Ideas Wanted For the Middlesex Building Add-Ons  (Read 7982 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Ideas Wanted For the Middlesex Building Add-Ons
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2013, 01:09:28 AM »
I still want loading door gaskets!  :trollface:

Looking forward to the overhang with fancy supports.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »
+1
I stopped by Bob's tables on Saturday (at the Springfield show).  As usual, I drooled over bunch of his stuff, and forgot to ask to look at the PRR signal heads.  :facepalm:

But I'm bringing this thread back up, because Bob was selling the first couple of items mentioned in this thread.  He just received them from the etcher and he hasn't had time to even package them yet.  I bought both items.

These are fire escape (single set) and side stairs (3 sets) per fret.  These are done wery well and will be a welcome detailing for this building.

One thing I would have done differently on the fire escape would be to include mounting tabs which could be inserted into holes.  For me just gluing the edges of photoetched railing (to a painted side of the building) is not sturdy enough. I like overkill. IIRC, Gold Medal Models fire escapes do include such tabs.  As-is, I'll have to solder pieces of wire to the railing to make the tabs myself. It would have been much easier to include them in the etching, If someone didn't want to use the tabs, they could simply cut them off.

While Bob never mentioned it either way, but for some reason I envisioned the detail set for Middlesex Building sold as a single fret (a complete detail set). But it looks like Bob will sell every line item in his list as a separate item.  I suppose it is a good idea, giving the modeler flexibility of what to purchase (for this building, and for other uses).

That brings another problem for me: the cost.  These are simple double-sided etched frets which are not very large (see the ruler I included in the scan).  They are both around 2.5" X 3" frets. I don't have the exact figure (because I paid cash, and I bought another item along with these etchings) but from what I recall, Bob sells them for around $16 each.  That to me a a bit steep for small photoetched fret like those.  To me a more reasonable price would be closer to $8 or $9 each.  If the other frets in this set are priced similarly then if one wants to pimp out this building to the max, that will cost some pretty penny  dollar.  At least, that is how I see it.

. . . 42 . . .

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +802
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2014, 07:17:06 AM »
That brings another problem for me: the cost.  These are simple double-sided etched frets which are not very large (see the ruler I included in the scan).  They are both around 2.5" X 3" frets. I don't have the exact figure (because I paid cash, and I bought another item along with these etchings) but from what I recall, Bob sells them for around $16 each.  That to me a a bit steep for small photoetched fret like those.  To me a more reasonable price would be closer to $8 or $9 each.  If the other frets in this set are priced similarly then if one wants to pimp out this building to the max, that will cost some pretty penny  dollar.  At least, that is how I see it.

Pete,
You are more than welcome to try your own hand in the etching biz and see if you make a profit at your reasonable price.

As you noted, we provided THREE flights, actual Stairs instead of ladders and far more detail than any other manufacturer. Oh, and the other manufacturer costs $12 for the two flights without any of the details I am providing. So, to get the three flights that are needed for the basic Middlesex kit, you would have to purchase a starter set ($12) plus an extender set ($12) to get what is required.

And Yes, it makes perfect business sense, for the modelers sake, not to be saddled with parts that are not wanted nor needed. The idea always was that the modeler purchase only what he wants and needs, just like other manufacturers do for upgrade parts. Case in point, there is no loco detail set out there that forces the modeler to purchase every item that COULD possibly go on a model. At least, that is how I see it.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »
Thanks for your commentary Bob. We are all entitled to our opinions (you know that "opinions are like a-holes..." saying, rght?) , so I posted my opinion here. Take it or leave it.   I'm not putting down your product at all. I think the quality is great.  I simply think it costs too much. And you should have etched mounting tabs on the fire escape.   :|  Again, all my opinions.

As far as etching goes, I have home-etched many items ( printed circuit boards, and also brass and nickel-silver parts). I have not done any professional etching, but when the time comes, I can design the artwork and have it etched. I have also looked at the costs for low-volume production. You can charge whatever price you like, and I can choose to buy or not to buy the items. That's the bottom line.
. . . 42 . . .

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2014, 03:38:55 PM »
Bob, are the individual stair treads actually perforated, or is that just a tread pattern in the image?  If they're perforated, is there ever a chance you might do replacement stair treads for locomotive stairs?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Baronjutter

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
Man I love traincat stuff!
What is the actual technique used to cut the metal so finely? 

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2014, 05:47:43 PM »
Man I love traincat stuff!
What is the actual technique used to cut the metal so finely?

Chemically cut. It is called photoetching.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2014, 05:50:13 PM »
Bob, are the individual stair treads actually perforated, or is that just a tread pattern in the image?  If they're perforated, is there ever a chance you might do replacement stair treads for locomotive stairs?

I can answer this one. The etchings I bought are relief-etched, only half way through the metal.

I suspect that if the locomotive stairs were etched from thinner (like 0.005") brass sheet, they could have perforations etched all the way through. But that would also make them more fragile.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:52:00 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .