Author Topic: "Gold Series" Atlas S-2 ....whaaaaa?  (Read 7810 times)

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
Re: "Gold Series" Atlas S-2 ....whaaaaa?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 10:14:33 AM »
If they sell in HO, they will sell in N.

Blasphemy!  Blasphemy!   :D

Seriously, I will check it out.  I really do wish a portable sound system (on-controller speaker) would hit the market.  Why?  Loco sound is intriguing, but there's so more train sound to be had that's being ignored - most notably car knocking, brake squeal, track tap, and coupling/uncoupling.  Imagine a system that not only recognizes the loco types in your lash-up and speed, etc., but the number of cars in your train, perhaps with a one car default for switching, and delivers a richer sound experience.  Just brainstorming, that's all.  I have no electronic sensibilities, in fact I try to keep away from electricity completely given past events, so just throwin' the idea out there to see if it sticks.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 10:23:16 AM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

MVW

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 10:24:34 AM »

This isn't intended to say either way is better, only that I'm sure there are a lot of people on both sides
of liking/disliking sound, so offering 2 versions is a good approach.

Max hit it on the head: Choice is good. Those of us interested in sound will snap these up, and those who aren't can go with the cheaper (but still DCC-ready) model, if they're interested at all. Best of both worlds.

And as Scott said, the exciting part is, "If they can do it in an N scale S2, they can do it in anything." That's good news for us "sound lovers," as Max labeled us  :D, but I hope sound-equipped and DCC-ready become the two standard versions for all new loco releases.

Jim

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 11:35:36 AM »
Locomotives with sound in them are like children...one or two are okay but any more quickly become annoying and make too much noise.
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

Scott Lupia

• Crew
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
Debating on whether sound in locomotives is good or bad is pointless conversation since it is all subjective. There is no right or wrong answer. My point was that atlas made a bold step by introducing an alco switcher with factory equipped sound as an option. That fact gets me all hot and bothered in a very good way

Scott lupia
"All I wanted was a Pepsi"

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
To much sound is nothing but noise which can be rather anoying.My thoughts on the subject are if your more than 5 feet away from the sound equipt item and can hear it clearly it is to loud.

We have a modular club in West Michigan that has soiund installed everywhere and they have no consept as to what LOUD means.They were even told at one show (by management) to either turn it down,turn it off,or leave.That worked for one show then they were right back to LOUD at the next one.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 12:20:36 PM »
Rather have sound at a show than those larger scale smoke producers which choke you out.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »
Rather have sound at a show than those larger scale smoke producers which choke you out.

+1.  my favorite Timonium show layout is the On30 one that runs the small slow steam - they have sound in their locos and it's the bomb to watch them crawl along.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 01:29:16 PM »

We have one show with a G-scale setup right next to ours, with both too-loud sound and three or four locos with smoke. Joyous.  :RUEffinKiddingMe:

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8552
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »
Blasphemy!  Blasphemy!   :D

Seriously, I will check it out.  I really do wish a portable sound system (on-controller speaker) would hit the market.  Why?  Loco sound is intriguing, but there's so more train sound to be had that's being ignored - most notably car knocking, brake squeal, track tap, and coupling/uncoupling.  Imagine a system that not only recognizes the loco types in your lash-up and speed, etc., but the number of cars in your train, perhaps with a one car default for switching, and delivers a richer sound experience.  Just brainstorming, that's all.  I have no electronic sensibilities, in fact I try to keep away from electricity completely given past events, so just throwin' the idea out there to see if it sticks.

QFT. Onboard locomotive sound always seems naked without the clickityclack and rumble of the train behind.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »
If we can light a passenger car and put a man on the moon, we can make "ambient car clickity clack." Slap a speaker in a box car.  It would be cool to see a speed adjusting "car sound" decoder out there.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »
QFT. Onboard locomotive sound always seems naked without the clickityclack and rumble of the train behind.

Switch to metal wheelsets and knick your rails every fifty scale feet!

:P
The S.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
It would be cool to see a speed adjusting "car sound" decoder out there.

Hence my thinking on-throttle would be the place for its source.  Throttle controls the speed, so... clickety-clack would slow/speed up, braking sounds and slack action noises could be triggered, etc. all from the changes to throttle position.  Key in your loco type(s) to get the right engine sounds (maybe a recently serviced v. smoking 'n' flaming setting for poops and giggles - the latter including cursing engine crew) and the number of cars in your train (and maybe a freight v. passenger setting - maybe even a transition era freight v. modern freight setting for predominantly short v. long cars) to get the train noises about right and have the sines and cosines do the rest...
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »
Switch to metal wheelsets and knick your rails every fifty scale feet!

:P
The S.

But I thought rail sections were 39 feet long?  double  :P

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »
Clickly clack, haven't heard that in awhile.  If you modeling late to present RRs with welded rail you rarely hear that anymore.  Even in what yards are left, the trains move so slow you don't really hear it.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2013, 06:03:48 PM »
 :|            Forget just sound. "Circus Modeling & Sound is much worse". Believe me, much as I love Circus Models, have your layout next to an extensive  "Model Circus" for three days with their display sound turned up at ear splitting levels to over come out the crowd noise in the building , calliope music (I never want ta hear it again).          Nate Goodman (Nato). "Who did order two Atlas Gold locomotives."