Author Topic: Thursday Proto Photo, Aug 1/13  (Read 2053 times)

Lenny53

• Crew
  • Respect: +1557
Thursday Proto Photo, Aug 1/13
« on: August 01, 2013, 05:43:55 AM »

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3084
Re: Thursday Proto Photo, Aug 1/13
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 06:22:51 AM »
#4710 and #997 (in the boxcar scheme) lead a stack northbound past the Waynesboro Model Railroad Club heading towards CSX Intermodal in Chambersburg, PA on July 31, 2013.

w neal

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 06:23:17 AM »
Buffering...

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »
Shot of an empty ethanol train crossing the Cherrywood Trestle on a rainy evening:
http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=10649

Two shots of a Herzog ballast train behind a pair of well worn CP SD40-2's:
http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=10647
http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=10648

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:03:21 AM »
Two shots of a Herzog ballast train behind a pair of well worn CP SD40-2's:
http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=10647

The most remarkable thing to me in that shot is a new signal installation with searchlights. SA's are a dying breed down here.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 09:35:22 AM »

This is a great header image - title it "The Railwire - we aim for this."
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »

trainforfun

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »

3 rebuilt F40-ph in Halifax july 18th 2013
Thanks ,
Louis

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7961
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 01:48:08 PM »
The progression of CSX's Q398 through Baltimore a few weeks back:

We first got sight of him coming in through Carroll interlocking (where CSX just dumped a bunch of cars on the ground this week)

Then, a pair of shots at a location I've been wanting to shoot something at for a long time, running along the street heading to Riverside Yard.

Then a shot of him coming through the yard and across Key Highway. This was a lucky shot through my windshield.

Pulling around the Locust Point loop, past Tide Point, the home of Under Armour.

And back through the yard. This is right where the I95 tunnel pops out at the south end.

I'd much rather have shot this one train than 20 NS fatheads and stacks. It amuses me how much more I care about a single CSX Dash 9 than I do about a whole NS fleet of them.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +583
    • My train pics
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 02:31:41 PM »
The most remarkable thing to me in that shot is a new signal installation with searchlights. SA's are a dying breed down here.

That's CP. They've done the same at the siding at Port Hope... new mast with searchlights. Not complaining, the traffic lights have all the appeal of, well, traffic lights. About a month ago, I overheard a CP EB crew meeting a WB at Port Hope. There is a tight curve at the west end of the siding and they bound around the corner and can see the signal with maybe 10 seconds before they pass it. Not exactly the easiest signal to read in daylight either, as it is aimed at the curve and pops out from behind the hill as they curve towards the siding. The EB crew remarked to the WB in the hole that they wish they had LED's like the CN, to which the WB crew quipped, "Yeah, we've got all their bosses now, they could have at least brought the signals with them"  :D

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 07:33:18 PM »
The new (about 5 years or so now) CTC at Wolverton on the Galt sub. has signals like that too. Modern looking searchlights.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 07:41:02 PM »
A trio of Huron Central GP40-2s switch steel cars at the yard in Sault Ste. Marie:

http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=10531

CN northbound freight train crossing the swing span over the old Canadian lock canal on the International Railway Bridge at Sault Ste. Marie.

http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=10533

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +498
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »
I went to Marion OH this past Saturday, where it happened to be Conrail Historical Society day at the Marion Union Station depot.  (Unfortunately, I missed the ELHS Day by a week.  :facepalm: )  There was a volunteer inside AC Tower demonstrating how the tower worked, and I got to have dinner with a few of the N Scalers I had previously met from the Columbus N Scale Weekend in May.  Helped out the CR guys (I hope) by buying a CD about the Southern Tier, and also picked up a couple of EL employee timetables from the volunteer at the station.  Lots of trains, and slide shows ran well into the evening.  I left at 10:30 and there were still more than two dozen folks in the audience.

Here is a sampling of photos from the 27th.  First up, I made a detour to Meadville on the way over and found three 4-axle ALCo's:

I then headed southwest to Marion via Conneaut Lake, Kingston and Warren.  Here is the former PRR depot in Warren:

And now at Marion:

This one is from inside the operator's bay in the depot:

A block west is the former Erie shop complex.  Here's a 21st-Century take on the B&O "Sunburst" scheme:

On the way home Sunday, I followed an eastbound CSX freight into Crestline, where it had a stop signal just outside of town.  I waited 20 minutes in hopes I could get a shot of it crossing the diamonds, but couldn't wait any longer and headed for home.

875 miles in two days, but definitely worth it!  Next year I will hope to get there for the ELHS day; I was told the slide shows were very good.

Ron

ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 11:20:24 PM »
Nice pics Ron. It's a shame that old tower is disintegrating like that.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5508
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 03:00:16 AM »

I then headed southwest to Marion via Conneaut Lake, Kingston and Warren.  Here is the former PRR depot in Warren:

I live in Warren. That is not the PRR station. It is a brand new building built right where the old station was. Belongs to some electrical contrator.

This is the real PRR station (actually the 2nd one there):
http://www.west2k.com/ohpix/warrenprr.jpg

This station second generation combination passenger/freight station at the same site as the original PY&A depot underwent modification in the 1950s and was stripped of it's distinctive depot characteristics and shingled. There is a replica station on this site now, but it is not a replica of the station that was here.