Author Topic: Dayson & Mixen Line  (Read 3661 times)

Chris1274

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
Re: Dayson & Mixen Line
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 06:03:09 PM »
Still in the planning stage, though hopefully beginning the construction stage before too long. I've modified the plan from the expansion point of view. I'd like to build it in such a way that the HCD can be incorporated into a larger layout without too much modification. Here's the result:

And here's what I have in mind (thus far) when it comes to a future expansion:

I don't know yet what the bottom section will look like, but will almost surely involve extending the mine branch to another loadout or even a large-ish prep plant, while the mainline will loop back on itself to allow for continuous running. But that's looking well down the road. For now the central 36x80 section will keep me busy for some time to come.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:34 PM »
Are those buildings to scale?

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 12:05:28 AM »
Still in the planning stage, though hopefully beginning the construction stage before too long. I've modified the plan from the expansion point of view. I'd like to build it in such a way that the HCD can be incorporated into a larger layout without too much modification. Here's the result:

And here's what I have in mind (thus far) when it comes to a future expansion:

I don't know yet what the bottom section will look like, but will almost surely involve extending the mine branch to another loadout or even a large-ish prep plant, while the mainline will loop back on itself to allow for continuous running. But that's looking well down the road. For now the central 36x80 section will keep me busy for some time to come.

Chris, do you want to consider flipping the junction between the branch and mains so the access point is as far from the wye to the staging yard as possible? You can of course do multiple loops to add running time for a train going up the branch, but often on smaller layouts putting the branch junction as far from the terminal is a good choice.
Peter Pfotenhauer

Chris1274

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 03:21:50 PM »
Chris, do you want to consider flipping the junction between the branch and mains so the access point is as far from the wye to the staging yard as possible? You can of course do multiple loops to add running time for a train going up the branch, but often on smaller layouts putting the branch junction as far from the terminal is a good choice.

Good point. I may keep it as it is for the first stage, and then make a more radical change in later stages by making the branch line come off the main at the turnout just out of the tunnel on the left side of the layout. Let me work it up on AnyRail and show what I have in mind,

Chris1274

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 06:52:15 PM »
OK, here's what I came up with based on your suggestion of moving the branch line access point further away from the staging yard. In terms of actual distance it's not much of a change, but now it would require a full turn around the mainline before reaching the mine branch (barring a backup move ... come to think of it, I could even get rid of the turnout that would allow that).

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »
How does the central portion work as a standalone HCD layout?   :?

Chris1274

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 10:33:25 PM »
It that form it doesn't. That's after I get around to expanding it. But the 36x80 section will look more or less like this at stage 1, which is a complete layout (albeit just an oval):