Author Topic: 89' Flat cars???  (Read 970 times)

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
89' Flat cars???
« on: July 19, 2013, 05:51:52 PM »
Are any of the current flat cars similar to the Flexi-Van flats that the Burlington ran?  I also would like to find something close to their bi-level/tri-level auto racks.  Anything close?
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: 89' Flat cars???
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »
N Scale Kits will be releasing kits of the Flexi-Van flats shortly.  Peter had a sample on display at the NSE convention last month.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:06:55 PM »
No, not yet.  As Bryan said N scale kits is supposed to be doing one.  But I feel like I've been hearing about this project for a decade so it doesn't count to me until it's out.

And no, we need an F89ch to cover everyone's autorack flat needs from the late 60's and 70's (and beyond I would guess).  With some work, maybe the EXR Vert-A-Pak could be used, but I haven't looked inside to see what's there.

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4229
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 06:18:48 PM »
The ExR car would take some work but it's doable.  BLMA trucks with FVM 28" wheels might lower it enough where the bolster won't have to be modified.  But the body/flatcar is one piece, so the VAP has to be cut from the flat.  The flatcar placards also are very thick, and need to be sanded down or replaced.  Hiding the weight would be an issue, with an open auto rack hovering above.  But it's better than starting from scratch.  I haven't looked at the model in a while, but it might be possible to cut out the floor and replace it with a brass or steel slab.  Then you have the decent flatcar detail as a four-sided open box to secure the metal slab to, giving a foundation to build the auto rack above it.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net