Author Topic: Coupler heights  (Read 3099 times)

havingfuntoo

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
Re: Coupler heights
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »
Got any pictures to show us?? Sounds like you are having fun too

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »
No pictures yet. Soon though. The parts have been quoted, but last night I sent in the new files. Just waiting to hear back from them to get the parts made. hen i will assemble it and post photos on my web site.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4248
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 10:25:22 AM »
... I had to make some slight sizing changes so the parts could be manufactured. Mostly for wall thicknesses. The coupler pocket or what some call the buffer plate is scale height and depth. The width is 0.014" wider than prototype. This is because of the coupler shank pin hole.  The draft gear box is also just slightly wider that prototype, but not by much. Mostly due to the fact that it would be near impossible to cast 1" wall thickness in N-Scale. That would be 0.00625" thick. ...

A thickness of .00625" may be impossible to cast, but not to etch.  Half-etch .375mm stainless steel gets you to .00738" with superior strength.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 10:51:28 AM »
The draft gear box being a little wider is of no consequence. It is in a position where it never gets viewed from the end. Only from the sides. So the side detail is of more importance. Also being a little wider has no effect any any other details added for example the pilot support pipes. As well, when you build all the underframe detail, the frame width is just a bit wider than prototype. That is because of the split frame design and how the shell sits on the frame. It is not that much wider though and allows some great frame detailing options such as traction motor cables  :D.

The coupler pocket could use photo etched sides. It would reduce the width to being just 0.003" wider than prototype. Definitely not noticeable, but 0.014" is not all that detracting either.  Using photo etch on the coupler pocket WOULD detract from how it looks because of the way coupler pockets are built and welded together. You need that overlap of the side pieces at the top. Just looks right. In 3D it looks really good and I am curious to see how it will look in model form.