Author Topic: Its official.... UP to restore BIG BOY 4014  (Read 6165 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7846
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Its official.... UP to restore BIG BOY 4014
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
Incorrect.

These regs exist for reasons, and the FRA is not ridiculous in its approach to tourist and recreational services. Historical societies, museums and tourist railroads are often made up of volunteers or semi-professionals (almost always with the best intentions) who don't live and breathe a safety culture the same way professional railroaders do.

Boiler explosions are no joke.

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2013, 03:57:53 PM »
Locomotive boilers were more often than not built to withstand 4-5x their intended operating pressures. . . .

-Cody F.

Like to see some references, citations or rationale for that. Can't quite figure out why someone would want to run a 300psi boiler at  1200 psi, or how you could get enough heat into the system to do it. Weren't most of the problems due to under-pressure conditions, or uneven pressure conditions, and liquid water condensing?

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
Re: Its official.... UP to restore BIG BOY 4014,"Woo Woo kachoo !"
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2013, 02:11:14 AM »
       "Woo Woo  Kachoo, Wooziers and all that jazz !" Now I will have to sell off my Con Cor Rivarossi  4014 for big bucks. Some parts were already robbed from the locomotive when the 3985 was restored , ones that were common to both lokies. One I believe was an air pump. I received a Fund Raising Folder for the 611,they are really looking for big bucks. Good luck on this endeavor with out help from NS. There will be a lot of fire departments along the Union Pacific that will not be happy as these locomotives and the Challengers were famous for fire starting , that is why a fire hose was on the rear of the tenders. The 3985 was converted to oil because of that reason. When it visited Utah before it's conversion it started two major brush fires along the right of way pulling excursion trips on two days.  Nate Goodman (Nato).

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +597
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2013, 12:19:19 PM »
Like to see some references, citations or rationale for that. Can't quite figure out why someone would want to run a 300psi boiler at  1200 psi, or how you could get enough heat into the system to do it. Weren't most of the problems due to under-pressure conditions, or uneven pressure conditions, and liquid water condensing?

I just reiterated information that I have picked up.
The whole point of constructing a boiler to withstand 4-5x its intended operating pressure is for safety.
Good enough then, good enough now.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

seusscaboose

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +190
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2013, 04:30:39 PM »
LMGTFY
maybe section 230.37 will help
http://www.utu.org/worksite/PDFs/safetylawsummary/steam_locomotive_standards.pdf

DISCLAIMER: not responisble if the document it out of date
"I have a train full of basements"

NKPH&TS #3589

Inspiration at:
http://nkphts.org/modelersnotebook

pnolan48

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • N Scale Ships
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
I just reiterated information that I have picked up.
The whole point of constructing a boiler to withstand 4-5x its intended operating pressure is for safety.
Good enough then, good enough now.

-Cody F.
Found it on google from ASME. You are correct; bursting pressure is 4-5x maximum allowable working pressure.