Author Topic: Mainline vs Siding heights  (Read 2872 times)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
Re: Mainline vs Siding heights
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 05:08:46 AM »
In the past, I've used HO scale Midwest Cork roadbed for the mainlines and N-scale Midwest Cork roadbed for sidings and branchlines.   I simply extended the HO cork about six to eight inches into the siding, then sanded a gradual transition using a home made sanding block with 220 grit sandpaper stapled to it.  Worked really quickly and the transitions don't have to be very gradual as they're pretty steep prototypically.

I haven't had a lot of luck with WS foam roadbed and I don't recommend it, although I realize a lot of people use it.  I much prefer cork, simply because it can be easily sanded and modified.

Nowadays, I'm just sanding down N-scale Midwest cork on the sidings using that same old home made sanding block, then laying ME code 40 for the Medium Duty trackage on the sidings.

If you're interested in representing medium duty trackage using only code 55, you can cut the spacers between the ties and move the ties apart a bit.  Medium duty track's ties are almost always spaced further apart than heavily trafficked mainline track's ties, even on sidings used regularly for mainline trains to pass, such as on UP's center sidings in Weber and Echo Canyons in Utah which obviously have lighter rail as well as less densely spaced ties.

Of course, I'm talking about trackage with wooden ties.  Concrete ties are out of my era and I know virtually nothing about them, other than they're gray and ballast sits on top of 'em in the middle.

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 07:09:08 AM »
Awesome photo. Great depth of field. Did you stack that image?

Thank you for the kind compliments....they should be directed to Railwire member Tim Horton. 

This location, Coykendahl, is one of my favorite places on the layout...an isolated siding where the westbound and eastbound once a day wayfreights used to frequently meet clinging to the slopes high above the Arrow lakes!

Tim took the photo several years ago, actually during his first photo visit!  There have been many more since then (thank you Tim!).  I believe he used Helicon on the photo.  He replicated this angle for an N Scale Mag cover shot as well but the angle was slightly higher and the crop closer so the locomotives appeared much more massive.  A work of art!

thx again

md
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:20:32 AM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 07:16:49 AM »
Thank you for the kind compliment.  This location, Coykendahl, is one of my favorite places on the layout...an isolated siding where the westbound and eastbound once a day wayfreights used to frequently meet clinging to the slopes high above the Arrow lakes!

The photo was taken with my simple point and shoot Canon with no focus-stacking.  Please don't ask me any more details about it as I am no photographer...just got lucky.

When Tim Horton replicated this angle for an N Scale cover shot he did use focus stacking however.

thx again

md

I have seen your Flickr pages, Mark. You get lucky a lot.  :ashat:
Peter Pfotenhauer

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 07:19:25 AM »
I have seen your Flickr pages, Mark. You get lucky a lot.  :ashat:

Thank you again.  I did edit my posted reply.  While I have taken the vast majority of the photos on the Flikr page - normally by taking 100 shots and hoping to keep 1! - I checked this one photo in particular and Tim took it so I want to make sure he gets credit for its fine composition and depth of focus.

thx

md
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:21:23 AM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/