Author Topic: GE U25C announced by Hornby America / Rivarossi  (Read 19442 times)

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
Re: GE U25C announced by Hornby America / Rivarossi
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
Will someone refresh my memory.  What other models did they do in the past that they could update?

To name a few, which we have seen by others since.

GP-9
GP-30
GG-1
Lot's of interesting European Steam
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »
Thanks.  I still have one of those old GG1s and a couple of the GP9s.  Forgot about the GP30.  I do think that is they redid the GP9 in a different phase than the Atas one (including b units) they would make some money.

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +142
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2013, 06:47:57 PM »
Don't forget about STEAM! They produced and 0-6-0 and a 4-6-2 that was the basis for other configurations.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »
Rivarossi has produced lots of steam.

4-8-8-4 BigBoy
4-6-6-4 Challenger
2-8-8-2 Y6
2-8-2
4-6-2
0-4-0
0-8-0

Many were produced under Atlas or ConCor branding but were Rivarossi locos. I believe all the tooling is long gone though so anything would be done from scratch.
Tony Hines

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2013, 07:13:35 PM »
Will someone refresh my memory.  What other models did they do in the past that they could update?

The S-2 switcher? Oops, too late.... :facepalm:

Seriously, it's great to see another major player attempting to get back into American N scale. The entire line of the Rapido/RR heavyweights could  use updating (if they have rights to it) and some of their freight cars (tank cars, emergency gondolas, open side two bay hoppers). They weren't actually too bad for their era, and with new trucks wheels and couplers, they can be made look decent.

But for the most part, to compete with modern offerings, we are talking complete new designs, from the ground up. Their older locomotives (FA1, Heavy pacific, 0-6-0 come to mind) are too dated and clunky, and I don't see anything in the way of mechanisms in their current production readily adaptable to North American prototype. Still, I hope they take a good shot at it...
Otto K.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2013, 08:11:17 PM »
With your permission!  Also changed it from a Phase I to a Phase III.

I take back what I said about not wanting a CR one now.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 09:05:05 PM »
I believe all the tooling is long gone though so anything would be done from scratch.

If true, that's a shame. Their tooling was exceptional, way ahead of its time for the era (70s-80s), and still holds up well today.

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 09:09:44 PM »
I can see I'm going to need at least two of these in PRR.  With all of the new stuff coming out, this is firmly putting my layout into mid-1960s. 
Bob

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 09:18:17 PM »
But for the most part, to compete with modern offerings, we are talking complete new designs, from the ground up. Their older locomotives (FA1, Heavy pacific, 0-6-0 come to mind) are too dated and clunky, and I don't see anything in the way of mechanisms in their current production readily adaptable to North American prototype. Still, I hope they take a good shot at it...
Otto K.

From what I heard there are no plans to bring back some of the old stuff. I think this is good as most of the molds are from the 60's and 70's.

Marc

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 10:26:18 PM »
Biding
my time for the eventual U33C in SP trim...
Support fine modeling

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +584
    • My train pics
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 11:23:28 PM »
I take back what I said about not wanting a CR one now.

Not like anyone believed you  ;)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 01:38:30 AM »
I'll be looking for the NP and BN, and probably a CB&Q. 
N Kalanaga
Be well

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +142
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 06:05:24 AM »

Wait, so does Hornby own Rivarossi and Arnold or just Arnold?
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +182
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:43 AM »

4-8-8-4 BigBoy
4-6-6-4 Challenger
2-8-8-2 Y6
2-8-2
4-6-2
0-4-0
0-8-0

Many were produced under Atlas or ConCor branding but were Rivarossi locos. I believe all the tooling is long gone though so anything would be done from scratch.

The RR pacifics and mikados were USRA heavies and lights.  RR would be hard put to beat Kato's USRA heavy Mikado.  If the USRA lights were improvements over MP's, I would be in for a number of them, as B&O had both. 

Only Erie had originals of the USRA heavy pacific, although a number of roads, including the B&O had copies.  Erie even had a class of USRA heavy pacific copies.

While the 0-8-0 represented a rare enough prototype; only the IHB had those; the 0-4-0 represented a VERY rare prototype:  only two existed.  The 0-4-0 represented the two 0-4-0Ts that the B&O converted to coal and 'conventional' configuration.  B&O steam modellers would be interested in seeing that one, again.  The original Atlas issue did not run too badly for its era.  In addition, it was a pretty good puller.  A few upgrades would bring it up to modern standards.  Hornby probably could get away with hanging a few roadnames on it.

RR used the same shells for both USRA pacifics and mikados.  I forget which prototype matches what shell, but there were differences.  If they sold a USRA light Mikado, built to modern standards (unlike MP's, which suffers from its 1970s construction methods), they could sell many.  Even the BORG had a class of copies, the so-called 'mountain mikados', which UP used for secondary and local passenger on Oregon and Idaho secondary lines (the UP copy was a few feet longer than the USRA light original, but other than that, it was almost an exact copy).

If Hornby brought back the RR steam and built it to modern standards, it would find one customer here.

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1720
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 07:23:08 AM »
Wait, so does Hornby own Rivarossi and Arnold or just Arnold?

Rivarossi bought out Arnold back in the 90's, and Hornby bought out Rivarossi after they went bankrupt a few years ago - so, both.

-Mark