Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/30/13  (Read 11572 times)

Skeebo

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
Re: Weekend Update 6/30/13
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 12:51:14 AM »
Jane and Mark,
     Sorry for the lag in reply, today was layout construction day at Marc's and that's an all day event for the five of us. I've been wanting to model this train since 86', I even built it once before with Minitrix U28's and Atlas Ore cars, but it wasn't right. After learning pressure molding at the Chantilly N scale show a number of years ago I decided to do it right. I've all ten loco's and the caboose done, so it was onto the cars. Like I said I couldn't talk any of the manufacturers into doing it so it was up to me.
     As for the loads, I seem to remember buying a pair of ore car extensions with load at a show. Not sure of the brand but if I cobbled then two together they came out very close, all I would have to do is add a lip around the top and ribs that matched up with the car. The loads texture didn't look too good but as I glue fine iron ore over the top it doesn't really matter. I've decaled 45 so far and so only have 55 to go to the end of train helpers and caboose. I've set aside the next six, which I hope to get done before work tomorrow.

Jim

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 04:15:22 AM »
Hi
The weekend is over here in NZ.  Actually managed some modelling.
Started Western New York & Pennsylvania 630.  She's ex CP Rail C-630M 4500.

Still working on the rebuilt air intakes.  Need to install 2 paper filters in each of the 4 openings.  The Briggs filters I have left over should work.  The new roof walkway is from 6Axlepwr. 

Cheers
Steve

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +458
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »
Finally finished my repower/remech of my Key H-4, That Victor donated to me YEARS ago....Pictures later

EDIT: Ok, I lied, my camrea battery is dead  :facepalm: so pictures on Tuesday.

(Orginal A-board Topic: http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65727 )
So, I'll describe what I did. Orginally, I put a Vandy tender behind it, geared the rear driver, and put the motor in the tender, driveshaft going from the tender to Loco. It never ran well and I couldn't get it to work right to save my life, So it got boxed. The other day I decided to take another crack at it. I discovered that the motor that was in the orginal tender drive fit into the firebox. So away with the tender motor, and I ended up powering that last axel with the orginal motor, from the fire box, utilizing one of the gears from the orginal drive. Overall, it runs REALLY well on DC, but on DCC, it's getting an intermitten short, that I gotta find. My gut tells me it's in the pilot truck....

I also DKS'd my Atlas 4-4-0 this weekend, huge cosmetic improvement, the old wheel inserts are a pain in the a$$, thats for sure. Also, I glanced at one of my old Bachmann old-timer combine, and thought: Drover. So I threw together a drover caboose, by building a cupola for it, Although, I think I need to cut it down a little, it seems too tall. Again, I will take pictures on Tuesday, I gotta work a 24 hour shift on monday......
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 02:03:25 AM by delamaize »
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2013, 03:52:19 PM »
Hi
Started Western New York & Pennsylvania 630. 
Cheers
Steve

Nice seeing 630 getting some luv.

We see her quite often around here.

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »
Back to some modelling today after my surgery and recuperation, which is proceeding well.  Working on the three M-630s including installation of pilots, couplers and adjacent details.

I purchased eight of the new NARC rotary gondolas to represent the sulphur traffic from Taylor, B.C. on my layout, and Jeff Briggs has applied some moderate weathering for me, keeping in mind that these cars were in sulphur rather than coal service, and were only two years old in my chosen era:

Prior to my surgery I applied decals to my seven Gooderham slab side hoppers and handed them to Jeff for weathering.  We spent some time reviewing reference photographs and discussing suitable weathering techniques to replicate the prototype cars as closely as possible, which had white residue from cement and lime service, and were also caked in grain dust.  Jeff did an awesome job on the weathering, and these cars are a very important addition to my revenue car fleet:

More photographs in the dedicated Gooderham slab side hopper thread.  They will serve the grain elevators at Dawson Creek:

Jeff also built two CN SW1200RS locomotives for my friend John Walter, who has given permission for photographs to be shared with you here:

Happy Canada Day to all my fellow Canadian RW members!

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2013, 06:57:51 PM »
Are those Flexicoil side frames from MBE?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1636
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2013, 09:59:32 PM »

He doesn't list them on the website, but Eric makes a kit for both CN and CPR SW1200s.  They include the truck side frames.  That looks very much like the CN kit that I have.

Craig
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:21:29 AM by craigolio1 »

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2013, 10:02:26 PM »

Bryan:

I believe that Jeff took one of the Eric sideframes, cleaned it up and modified it to his liking, and then cast it to make eight for the two locos.  The Eric sideframes were designed for the Life-Like switcher but John's models are built on the Kato NW2 chassis hence the modification requiements.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2013, 12:09:22 AM »
It's been a while since my last update.  I tore out my first attempt for the road through Aberdeen, which was built with lightweight spackle, and made a second go at it, using regular joint compound.  After several days of drying with touch-ups (a second coat of joint compound) where necessary, I lightly sanded and wet-wiped to create a smooth surface.  I cut in the flangeways with my NMRA gauge as a screed, and the trains run well through the railroad crossings.  I would appreciate some suggestions for how to paint the road to create the most realistic look for blacktop.

A few weeks ago, I finally laid down a coat of paint on the first section of track, as I prepare for ballasting (the double track section at left in the following picture).  I attempted to paint the lesser used tracks with a rust color on the rails, before overspraying the track from above with grimy black.

Here, you can see how I used a lower profile roadbed under the two sidings in Southern Pines.  I've had no problems from the vertical curves causing any derailments or unwanted uncouplings.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +117
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 12:32:49 AM »
Since I will soon hopefully have SW1500s to run over it, I decided to mostly finish laying track on Canal Street, one of the most peculiar little streets in Philly: 

This fascinating building had 4 sidings running directly into the building; a Conrail ZTS map also indicates three car spots right in the middle of the street. "Screw you guys, the customer wants this boxcar spotted here..."
Sean

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 01:16:34 AM »
It's been a while since my last update.  I tore out my first attempt for the road through Aberdeen, which was built with lightweight spackle, and made a second go at it, using regular joint compound.  After several days of drying with touch-ups (a second coat of joint compound) where necessary, I lightly sanded and wet-wiped to create a smooth surface.  I cut in the flangeways with my NMRA gauge as a screed, and the trains run well through the railroad crossings.  I would appreciate some suggestions for how to paint the road to create the most realistic look for blacktop.

Dave,
if you haven't yet stain the joint compound road, make sure that both, the part of the road inside the tracks and outside of the tracks is slightly lower than the rail-top.  If it isn't, track cleaning will eventually remove the stained layer of the joint compound, exposing the bare white compound.
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 03:27:21 AM »
Hi
Started Western New York & Pennsylvania 630.  She's ex CP Rail C-630M 4500.

Still working on the rebuilt air intakes.  Need to install 2 paper filters in each of the 4 openings.  The Briggs filters I have left over should work.  The new roof walkway is from 6Axlepwr. 

Cheers
Steve

Great start!  I need to build me one of those.  Are you using any of the Briggs M-630 kit parts or did you bash your own parts?
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

mandealco

• Crew
  • Respect: +356
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 04:21:32 AM »
Hi John
I do have a set of Briggs DoFaSCo trucks for this,  I also have a set of MbE sideframes, just in case I haven't improved my assembly of the Briggs ones.  The other changes so far have just been made to the Atlas parts.  Apart from the trucks, and the usual detailing, the only other big change is to the radiator.  I'll use the same method as on my GB&W C-424, which creates a full width radiator and a see through walkway.

Now, just need more spare time to work on her.

Cheers
Steve

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 07:05:07 AM »
Dave,
if you haven't yet stain the joint compound road, make sure that both, the part of the road inside the tracks and outside of the tracks is slightly lower than the rail-top.  If it isn't, track cleaning will eventually remove the stained layer of the joint compound, exposing the bare white compound.

Peteski,

I agree.  When I went back over the road with light sandpaper and then a wet piece of paper towel to smooth the surface, I was able to make the rails stuck up ever so slightly above the road.  This not only ensures that the wheels don't lose contact with the rails, but, as you pointed out, I won't destroy the surface when track cleaning.  I actually used my track cleaning block to find the high spots.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »

Tim
[/quote]

Tim those switchers are outstanding . I can't remember when I ever saw something to point out that I would change that you posted . IMO though the conical stacks atop the muffler , or whatever they are look like a poorly made casting instead of what they should look like . Could you not use the plastic ones from many sources , or fab ones to give it that smoother look ?

Richie Dost