Author Topic: CGW modelers and Kato's "Late Santa Fe Warbonnet" 176-1121  (Read 2220 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
CGW modelers and Kato's "Late Santa Fe Warbonnet" 176-1121
« on: November 22, 2014, 06:32:08 PM »
The Kato "Late Santa Fe Warbonnet" unit that has basically the roof of the F3 and the side panels of the F7, can be used for CGW unit #114A in the red scheme (not sure about the maroon scheme).

But don't go too late because it lost some of it's horizontal louvers.  ;)

Skibbe, tell your dad.  Let's fix this mishap!   :D

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1243
    • Modutrak
Re: CGW modelers and Kato's "Late Santa Fe Warbonnet" 176-1121
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »
LOL.   :)

You know this post would be more useful if you had some dates...

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
LOL.   :)

You know this post would be more useful if you had some dates...

From what I can find, 114A was in red at least by Sept, 1964 with the high fans and it's original louvers.  The louvers look to be replaced by '67 but there is one shot from 1965 I need to get a better look at with a magnifier.

Jason

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +996
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 08:25:11 AM »
Gentlemen,

Hopefully, this will be helpful - I have a copy of "Trackside around Chicago, 1957-1965 with George G Speir" (written by Ed DeRouin, the photos are by Speir).  The section on CGW has a couple color photos of similar units.
 Photo of 114C (it is taken from a low angle, so the fans are not directly visible, but I would assume the same as 114A), dated April 1961, has grills and louvers of an F7, but is in Maroon paint.

There is also a photo of 111A, dated March, 1964- painted red with chicken wire (ie, standard F3, what I think is termed "Phase 2" in some books).  It is in red (there are also maroon B units in the shot, so no doubt on the red)

Both units have a hatch cover over the last fan.

Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:43:03 AM »
Where would you buy the winterization hatch?

Javier

Andrew Hutchinson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:00:02 AM »
Ngineer,

Sunrise MADE some, Kaslo MADE some, Miniatures by Eric has something similar, but if you can't locate those in the hobby shops ( and there are still plenty floating around) you can make them quite easily.  Here's a couple showing general construction:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32922165@N06/8370962118/in/set-72157632150196434

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32922165@N06/8370965632/in/set-72157632150196434/

Layers are your friend.

Andrew Hutchinson

Ngineer

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »
Sunrise MADE some, Kaslo MADE some, Miniatures by Eric has something similar, but if you can't locate those in the hobby shops ( and there are still plenty floating around) you can make them quite easily.  Here's a couple showing general construction:

Andrew,

thank you very much for your answer and the pictures.

In N scale, winterization hatches are very often missing from the models. I actually need at least two, one for the Athearn F45 (GN), one for the Atlas SD-7 (CB&Q).

Can you please tell me the measurements (dimensions) of your hatches? And what kind of  hatch grills do you use?

Javier

Andrew Hutchinson

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 12:43:46 AM »
Hello Javier,

I've been cleaning and looking around for the past couple of hours and haven't located the hatches or the locomotives they were attached to. There was a good drawing on the Northern Pacific Railway Historical Association page  of an F7 winterization hatch but I can't find you a link to it  nor my copy of it. What I can provide is some data from Intermountain's F7 shell. I have a CN version and the hatch (with paint) measures 13" high, 40.375" wide and 56.625" long over the vertical portions. There is a small flange around the bottom but I can't really measure it adequately. It's been some years but I think I made the flange about 1.25" wide.

On the SD7 I believe you would be after something similar to the shape and size of hatch on the Intermountain F unit model and seen in the photos of the CGW units up thread. CB&Q folk would know better.

As for the GN F45 I believe they had a rectangular box. I don't have any info on them. There is probably a close enough drawing in Mainline modeler that could be used to work up the hatch as I don't imagine Athearn's parts department keeps much on hand.  There might be something in Atlas' online parts catalog so check there as well.

The larger of the two hatches in my photos was for the GN series 723-732 GP9Ms. Originally I looked at a Details West hatch for dimensional info since I had very little to go on but Duane Buck told me that they were different to what I was after. I'd have to search further through my notes for  the particulars but I remember he was pretty adamant that they were 15" high. I though it was a typo at first as he wrote it out as 1'3" (most hatches I've come across are 13" high) but he insisted it wasn't 13". If I remember I made two less than 15" and one at 15" high just to see what he was talking about. 

As for mesh I went with an English etch available from Ngineering: http://www.ngineering.com/micromesh.htm

The square mesh has better relief than the diamond.

Failing that, products from companies that make coffee and water filters can be pressed into service. I've used bits of MSR filters from an outdoors store and thought they weren't bad. I mention the latter if postal charges are a big issue. If it were me and I could get the etch from Ngineering then I'd do that.

Sorry I can't be more help.

If you want me to get a hold of you when I come across the models just email me privately through the forum and that way I'll have a record of the conversation otherwise I'm unlikely to remember who was after what beyond a week or so.

Andrew Hutchinson