Author Topic: Atlas TOFCs  (Read 8427 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
Re: Atlas TOFCs
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 12:48:06 AM »
"I couldn't get it to make a lap on my layout (admittedly, below Atlas' recommended minimum radius curve), but with the new wheelsets and long, body mounted couplered cars connected to each end, the Atlas flat is running reliably now on curves down to approximately 11" radius!"

The prototype has the same problem, and the same solution.  Many roads have restrictions on coupling short and long cars on subdivisions with sharp curves.  For operators, maybe time to update the timetable or special instructions.
N Kalanaga
Be well

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 10:40:55 AM »
Ironically, I just removed a set of BLMA wheelsets from a BLMA gon that I've owned for approximately two years that never ran well.  Swapping in FVM wheelsets while I was on a roll with the Atlas car fixed that, too.  I don't know why I waited so long.

Also, you can swap in #1016 knuckles in place of the factory-installed #1015 knuckles, which should allow you to run then on 11" radii without spacer cars.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +419
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2013, 12:12:17 AM »
I got my pre-order of these a couple weeks ago, but only tonight have been inspecting them closely.

I had a problem with the flanges hitting the underbody on ONE of my three cars, and the solution was simple:  turn the truck around, 180 degrees.  The bolster is not centered: it's like an MT truck.  Turn the truck so the bolster is toward the outside and you won't have

Other than that, these are beautiful cars, albeit fragile.  I had to re-glue one of the lifting pads after removing one car from the box.

And finally, a question:  Any tips on how to place the container pedestals?  And what happens to the container pedastals on the prototype when in TOFC service?  Where do they get stored? 

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 01:30:20 AM »
On at least some of these cars the container pedestals stored in pockets at the ends of the "tracks" on the deck.  They'd be lifted out, then slid along the track to the desired position, locking into the crosswise slots along the track.  MT's flats have these tracks, although their pedestals don't fit into them.  Not having seen the Atlas cars, I don't know whether they do, but I'm assuming so.

In later years, with lift on/lift off trailer loading, the pedestals may have been left in place, but that's after my era.  Anyone know for sure?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:32:41 AM by nkalanaga »
N Kalanaga
Be well

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »
Thanks, I thought it was something like that.

The track detail is indeed molded on to the Atlas cars,  although I believe it is done in metal instead of plastic like the MT cars.  Thus this detail is one that is slightly better on the MT car.  (But that's not really relevant to my questions...)

My RTTX cars came with container pedestals, but as I'm thinking about it, I don't think RTTX cars can carry containers?  I believe the orange end hitches are not collapsible.  (Atlas only includes raised hitches for the ends, but both raised and lowered hitches for the middle hitch.)  So I guess I should use those pedastals for some other car...

My real issue is that I don't like permanently fixing hitches and pedestals to TOFC cars, and I'm thinking about how to do temporary attachment for containers on these cars.  I use wall-tack for hitches and trailers, but container pedestals are a lot smaller.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2013, 02:17:39 AM »
How do the pedestals attach to the car?  If they fit in holes one could glue them to a container, then plug the container into the deck.  It would be the same container every time, but if you have multiple cars, the containers could be used in different combinations.
N Kalanaga
Be well

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2013, 03:23:54 AM »
My RTTX cars came with container pedestals, but as I'm thinking about it, I don't think RTTX cars can carry containers?

All purpose flats generally retained that purpose after RTTX conversion. There are photos, so Ed's law applies here.
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
How do the pedestals attach to the car? 

They don't, that's the thing.  There's no holes or placement guide or anything.

If they fit in holes one could glue them to a container, then plug the container into the deck.  It would be the same container every time, but if you have multiple cars, the containers could be used in different combinations.

Yeah, normally I wouldn't give over a container to a particular configuration that way.  I do magnets and tacky glue for all this stuff, so I can always change things again later.  In this case I might make have to make an exception.  Still thinking about it...

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2013, 12:07:13 PM »
All purpose flats generally retained that purpose after RTTX conversion. There are photos, so Ed's law applies here.

Okay, here are couple pics from the same number series...
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2287817
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2531116

The end hitches don't appear to be a collapsible type.  Atlas has included the proper looking hitch, in raised position only.  If they don't collapse, then it doesn't seem that 2 40' containers can be loaded on this car.  In fact it seems that the end positions for container pedestals can't be used at all.  Perhaps two 20' containers can still be loaded in the middle positions.

Not finding any photos of cars close to the number I have that show containers loaded.

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 01:06:08 AM »
If they don't attach at all that could be a problem!  In fact, it seems to defeat the whole purpose of including the pedestals. 

Could you drill a hole, as small as you can find a drill bit, in the bottom of the pedestal, and insert a very short piece of wire?  A matching hole could then be drilled in the cast-on track, where it hopefully wouldn't be too obvious, and the pedestal stuck in that.  To use trailers, pull the pedestal out and put it in a safe place.

That's how I did my MT cars, as I wanted to be able to run them with three 20 ft containers instead of four.  In their case, I had to cut the middle out of the "pedestals", which were actually four pedestals cast as a single assembly, to clear the rub rails.  A wire under each corner fits into the tracks, and I can run my car with either containers or trailers. 

Why the change?  Four of my mining company's concentrate containers (25 tons each) would have been too heavy for the car, and I wanted the load centered, one over each truck and one in the center.
N Kalanaga
Be well

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 01:31:18 AM »
If they don't attach at all that could be a problem!  In fact, it seems to defeat the whole purpose of including the pedestals. 

No kidding.  At the very least, it seems they expected a permanent install with superglue, or no use at all.

Could you drill a hole, as small as you can find a drill bit, in the bottom of the pedestal, and insert a very short piece of wire?  A matching hole could then be drilled in the cast-on track, where it hopefully wouldn't be too obvious, and the pedestal stuck in that.  To use trailers, pull the pedestal out and put it in a safe place.

It's something to consider, but boy are these things tiny.  To their credit, they really made them to scale.  They are probably half the height of the MT parts, and it could be really difficult to insert wire.

Another thought I just had is to put a piece of double stick tape on the bottom of each corner of the container, and stick the pedestals to them that way.  Then I would attach the container to the deck with tack putty.  I worry that the tape will not be enough to hold the pedestals securely, so I will have to experiment with that idea and see if I like it.  Unfortunately if any of these tiny things get lost at the club they will probably stay lost forever.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 03:37:40 AM »
Another thought I just had is to put a piece of double stick tape on the bottom of each corner of the container, and stick the pedestals to them that way.  Then I would attach the container to the deck with tack putty.  I worry that the tape will not be enough to hold the pedestals securely, so I will have to experiment with that idea and see if I like it.  Unfortunately if any of these tiny things get lost at the club they will probably stay lost forever.

Perhaps just glue them to the corners of the containers?  Or you looking for an easy removal when you want the containers to be used elsewhere.  If so, maybe use a small piece of the tack putty near the corner?  Ont the bottom inboard side of the container holding the pedestal to the container?

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 10:59:04 AM »
Perhaps just glue them to the corners of the containers?  Or you looking for an easy removal when you want the containers to be used elsewhere.

Yes, I don't like permanently modifications to containers of this sort.

If so, maybe use a small piece of the tack putty near the corner?  Ont the bottom inboard side of the container holding the pedestal to the container?

I thought of that too, but really there is very little actual space for any of this.  I will have to experiment and see if the tape or tacky putting actually works and looks okay.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »
Yes, I don't like permanently modifications to containers of this sort.

Just use a water soluble glue.   Soak the container in 1/16" water for a bit and voilà...pedestals and container are ready for re-use.

Only caveat is to make sure your container weathering is suitably sealed so the water doesn't affect it. (or be very careful that the waterline stays below the side sill of the container)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

jagged ben

• Crew
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 08:30:11 PM »
Just use a water soluble glue.

Such as?  White glue?