Author Topic: Atlas TOFCs  (Read 8428 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4249
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Atlas TOFCs
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
Being a business partner has its privileges.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Atlas Paul

• Crew
  • Respect: +361
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 01:54:15 PM »
The models arrived about 10 days ago, all in house orders were filled and shipped - distributors first, individual customers and "business partners" second.  Bryan happens to live pretty close to Atlas, so he likely had his shipment the next day.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
Phew! Thanks for the clarification! With the post about MBK being almost out-of-stock already, I thought maybe the concept of "limited runs" went to a whole new level! :scared:

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +419
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 03:16:53 PM »
The post about MBK is clearly a mistake.  Maybe it was a confusion with the trash flats.    MBK doesn't appear to have posted them yet, although they did post a whole bunch of Atlas locomotives so it seems likely we'll see them shortly.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 11:43:37 PM »
I had some of the MTL boxcar reds too. Foobs. Sold them when the BLMA F89 was announced (1967).

Mark, what's wrong with the MTL TTAX cars?

That series was a Flush Deck ACF car just like the Atlas car.

Jason

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 12:23:58 AM »
The brown TT cars are an earlier prototype.  The yellow TT cars are correct, although some of the releases have not been in the correct reporting mark number series.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 12:33:43 AM »
The brown TT cars are an earlier prototype.  The yellow TT cars are correct, although some of the releases have not been in the correct reporting mark number series.

So that's like calling the Atlas PS-1 a 'foob' for anything pre '54?

edit -Okay, nevermind, I found the '09 thread we had on these cars.  It doesn't sound like the MTL flat cars are any further off than the Atlas box cars are for earlier prototypes.  I can live with that.

Jason
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 01:29:42 AM by wcfn100 »

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 01:26:57 PM »
MBK now has them posted for purchase.  As of now, all remain available.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
MBK now has them posted for purchase.  As of now, all remain available.

I got mine yesterday... before it was too late.   :)

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1330
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 02:32:24 AM »
Especially on the yellow cars the reporting marks are easy to change.  MicroScale makes decals for the yellow TTX scheme, and one can easily paint out the printed marks with a dab of black paint.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2013, 10:07:24 PM »
Picked up a couple of these from my LHS on Friday.  Nothing new to report about the looks, everything is as-advertised and as-mentioned in the other posts and as-show in the photos.

But, I have one comment...these things are freakishly HEAVY.   That's a good thing, mind you.  And I don't have any hard weight measurements to back up that statement, but it almost seemed impossible that the car I was holding could weigh that much.   Anyway, maybe I'm overstating but just curious if anyone else thought that. (sorry if this was discussed and I missed it...I did scan through a couple of different threads about these cars.)  I am modeling at least one baretable train so these will definitely make that cut based on weight and details.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

rochsub

• Crew
  • Respect: +253
    • The N Scale UPRR Geneva Subdivision
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2013, 10:19:01 PM »
Received mine today. Just one of the triple Hitches model. Looks great, but does not roll very well at all. Flanges are hitting underneath car body.  Replaced wheel sets with FVM and now rolls great.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2013, 10:59:25 PM »
Received mine today. Just one of the triple Hitches model. Looks great, but does not roll very well at all. Flanges are hitting underneath car body.  Replaced wheel sets with FVM and now rolls great.

The wheelsets on my cars were hitting the carbody and making very annoying scraping sounds, as well.  :x  I was afraid there wasn't a fix without inserting a washer and raising the car height.  Thankfully, the FVM wheelsets seemed to have done the trick.  The car tracks better, too.  I couldn't get it to make a lap on my layout (admittedly, below Atlas' recommended minimum radius curve), but with the new wheelsets and long, body mounted couplered cars connected to each end, the Atlas flat is running reliably now on curves down to approximately 11" radius!

FYI, you do not use the FVM replacement sets for Atlas cars (0.553") on this car.  Interestingly, you need the 0.540" length axle, which are the wheelsets for MT cars.

Hard to believe that this got past Atlas' quality control.  But, it's easy to fix, and the extra work to get the Atlas flat running reliably is really no different than replacing the plastic wheelsets that come with most Atlas cars.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

bbussey

• Crew
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2013, 11:43:57 PM »
BLMA wheelsets also fit.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2013, 12:34:06 AM »
BLMA wheelsets also fit.

Ironically, I just removed a set of BLMA wheelsets from a BLMA gon that I've owned for approximately two years that never ran well.  Swapping in FVM wheelsets while I was on a roll with the Atlas car fixed that, too.  I don't know why I waited so long.

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!