Author Topic: Weekend Update 6/23/13  (Read 8312 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8040
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 6/23/13
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2013, 12:08:24 PM »
They get synced from my phone right to dropbox, and from there I uploaded them to a private picasa album.

It's not great, but it does the job. I might try to clean that all up a bit once I'm done the raw cataloging.

R L Smith

• Crew
  • Respect: +499
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2013, 09:43:47 PM »
As always, some really good stuff this week.  David Gray, nice to see your update.

I've not posted for awhile either, but with an Open House coming up in less than 3 months, I decided it was time to get after a large un-finished area.  I need to fill about 6 linear feet of backdrop with background flats and am kitbashing some DPM and Walthers kits and the Atlas Middlesex building. 

I had originally planned to bash the Walthers Roberts Printing into a flat and decided it wouldn't work well, and two weeks after I built it as-designed -- in typical Railwire fashion --  a photo shows up of a great kitbash.  (see above - thanks Peter! {a.k.a.Basement calling})

Started here:

Some acrylics for a hillside background:

I spray-painted two DPM Trackside Transfers, several pieces from the Empire Leather Tanning kit, and the Atlas Middlesex kit using three different colors of red to (hopefully) show the factory complex was added onto over time.

It will take a week or so to get all the individual pieces of the Empire kit glued together, and that will determine the final placement (and roofline) of the far-left building.  It's a start...

Ron
ELHS and NMRA member

If the women don't find you handsome, make sure they find you handy...

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3160
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »
They get synced from my phone right to dropbox, and from there I uploaded them to a private picasa album.

It's not great, but it does the job. I might try to clean that all up a bit once I'm done the raw cataloging.

Ed, you could add a link to the ipicasa image in the excel file.  Then when you have it open you could acces the image, no?

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Over the weekend I wiped a MTL hopper naked and gave it a new identity. As much as I preach less is more when it comes to weathering, I always pile it on thick anyway. Though most of my equipment will fall in the late 70's to early 80's, and the build date on this car is '77, it is showing some serious age already...

Before:

After:

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +665
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »
Finally got some work done.
Installed the Southern Junction wye to connect the town of Driftwood with Baque Yard and the Santa Fe staging yard.

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2013, 01:05:22 AM »
last Picture Ice Cream Salt   .. please explain

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2013, 01:35:44 AM »
Not my photo but Ice Cream salt is used in ice cream makers to reduce the temperature of the brine, not as a topping! Same reason that salt was added to reefers.
http://www.sci-experiments.com/ice_cream/saltwater.html

Best wishes, Dave
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:37:48 AM by Dave Schneider »
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2013, 01:36:10 AM »
last Picture Ice Cream Salt   .. please explain

Everything tastes better with salt - even ice cream!  But it makes it melt, so you have to eat it really fast!     :)

My wild guess is that it is some sort of coarse salt used in the old fashion ice cream making machines which use brine to cool the ice cream mix.
. . . 42 . . .

dnhouston

• Crew
  • Respect: +665
    • Dusty Junction & Northwestern
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2013, 01:43:29 AM »
Coarse salt used in weathering from Tom's  :ashat: book.  Harder to see, but the last container is also coarse salt with slightly smaller pieces.  Also works as a great weight for glueing down track.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2013, 01:49:20 AM »
Peteski:  Exactly.  And those old-fashioned machines are still made today.  I've eaten ice cram made in one.  It tasted fine (vanilla) but was definitely soft-serve.  Hard ice cram didn't exist until mechanical refrigeration.
N Kalanaga
Be well

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4614
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2013, 02:36:09 AM »
Peteski:  Exactly.  And those old-fashioned machines are still made today.  I've eaten ice cram made in one.  It tasted fine (vanilla) but was definitely soft-serve.  Hard ice cram didn't exist until mechanical refrigeration.

Looks like Dave answered the question few seconds before my speculative answer.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

Hamaker

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2013, 07:51:23 AM »
The ice cream salt does not go IN the ice cream.  You would pack crushed ice inside the "barrel" which contained the cannister with the ice cream mixture inside.  You then sprinkled the salt on the ice which would cause it to start to melt.  This made the crank easier to turn and created a super ice cold slurry which would cause the ice cream to freeze,

You'd continue to add ice and then more salt until you could no longer turn the crank.  My brothers and I would take turns turning the crank so no ones arm would fall off.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left.