Author Topic: New video uploaded to youtube  (Read 4901 times)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
Re: New video uploaded to youtube
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2013, 05:10:22 AM »
Philip, we aren't worried about camera being the point of ignition.  It is the Dremel tool's commutator which sparks heavily, very close to the alcohol vapors.  All power tools which have motors with brushes will produce constant sparking between commutator and brushes.

But after reading that another member here was airbrushing their rails with Floquil while sucking the over-spray (and all the fumes) directly into their shop-vac, I no longer feel like there is any need of trying to warn people about possible dangers from the silly things they are doing.  :facepalm:

I was/am that member...and it wasn't Floquil but Krylon...Camo Ultra Flat Black to be exact.  Since I stick two hoses together and the body of the shop vac is about 12 feet away from me, I don't have a problem with a little 'splosion. 

However, if the concentration of Krylon fumes was sufficient to 'splode, then I'd be passed out on the floor, so as long as I can breathe without getting woozy I'll be okay.

Whatever cautions you wanna give me...they're okay...but the fact is, I've been doing this for years and have not yet had any type of pyrotechnics...like flames shooting out of my shop vac...

I have lit paint directly from the spray can before however...and lit off SRB rocket fuel (don't ask)...and I reload, and I'm the one who always lights the fireworks on the 4th of July for the family....get the picture????   :trollface:

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2013, 05:15:37 AM »
...I'm the one who always lights the fireworks on the 4th of July for the family....get the picture????   :trollface:

Yep... you're the one who loves to show off.  :trollface:

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1665
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
I have uploaded a new video to youtube. This one is on stripping paint from Kato models.

I have found this method to be the best and safest method to remove paint. It is quick and VERY easy.

Hope you find it useful.

Brian

Well I just tried this, and I gotta say it works great!   Here are some quick pics of a Kato shell, freshly-stripped:

I soaked the parts in a bath of 91% alcohol for about 24 hours, and I was quite impressed at how easily & quickly the paint came off using the Dremel.   It looks to me like the alcohol affects the bond of the paint to the plastic.  The paint came off almost in chunks, with very little pressure required.

In close examination under a magnifier, I see no sign of damage or scratching from the rotary brush.  I do see a little paint left, in some of the grooves between the cabinet doors and in the grilles.  I think this is because the bristles of the brush were too large to fit into those areas, and the paint would come out if I could find a finer brush.   I also had some trouble getting the brush into the step wells, so I will probably try to do those over (again, once I can find a finer brush).

I did all this work from in the paint booth, so I wasn't worried about any fumes.

Thanks Brian, for posting a really great & useful technique!   8) 8) 8)

Ed

ns737

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 11:55:18 PM »
HI I have used 91% for years. but i do it by first heating a bowl of water in the mic. for 5 min. then put the bottle in the bowl of water to heat it up . then i pore the heated 91% it in to a tray i have the shell in. you will see the paint flows off the shell. i let it soak for 2 or 3 min. then i lightly scrub it with a soft tooth brush if needed. when the 91% gets cold i just repeat. I striped a up sd70 ace shell down to bare shell in 15 min. with no residue.