Author Topic: Testors reaction to grumbling MRR's  (Read 17426 times)

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
Re: Testors reaction to grumbling MRR's
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 12:24:47 AM »
I'll miss Floquil paints for sure...their Concrete, to my eye is spot on, but everyone has their own preference.  Not that I use a lot of it, but I did take a sample down to my local auto paint store and had a pint of enamel color mixed.  Loved their grimy black and dust...  While I was in Eugene last weekend I noticed a Testor's  stains and washes rack.  Is that new?  All of the rusts and grim colors were sold out so I don't know how they compare to my MIG's and AK's...
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 01:38:34 AM »
Considering the variety of colors rails come in, I suspect that a "close enough" color can be found among the military paints. 

Now, if you're using Rail Brown for something other than track, that might be a problem...
N Kalanaga
Be well

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
I've used SP Dark Lark Gray for fresher asphalt for years and years, as it weathers it looks quite good, and you can sure use a lot of it soaking into a a plaster road.  Almost like a stain, resists chipping very well, looks good in photos.

Meanwhile, over on Facebook, I succeeded in getting a reaction today on a point-blank question on whether they were going to reintroduce the generic railroad colors or not....and if they were, why were they waiting this long?    Got a confirmation of sorts:  "Updates to the ModelMaster Acryl line are being finalized more details will be coming soon."    But they STILL would not list colors that are being discussed on the forums.

That proved a couple things, first they are actually aware of the hostility launched on them in Facebook (maybe they are actually paying attention???) and we shouldn't let them off the hook on anything we actually want.   I have to admit there's a certain satisfaction on harassing a company on Facebook, this hasn't lessened that feeling at all.

And the 'concrete' color is an excellent suggestion.  Out of the jar its not that good, I add about 25% 'dirt' to get what I want.  Oh yeah and 'dirt' too!

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »
Just click the links at Testors.com to RPM their parent and you will see that Floquil was probably 1/10th of 1% or less of their business.  The odds are they are not performing to shareholder demand and brought in consultants who said just dump the smallest product lines regardless of profit/loss since they are a distraction.

Adobe just tossed the entire independent photography industry under the bus (probably $50-100m in license sales) in order to "focus on core business".

Forget it folks, and concentrate on sending love to smaller vendors who care about us!

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:38:01 PM by ljudice »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »
Adobe just tossed the entire independent photography industry under the bus (probably $50-100m in license sales) in order to "focus on core business".

Gotta love it. I never liked Adobe in the first place, and they have now justified my sentiments.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:45:47 PM by David K. Smith »

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
That proved a couple things, first they are actually aware of the hostility launched on them in Facebook (maybe they are actually paying attention???) and we shouldn't let them off the hook on anything we actually want.   I have to admit there's a certain satisfaction on harassing a company on Facebook, this hasn't lessened that feeling at all.

I don't think it really proves that. If they really are making this decision based on getting badgered about it on facespace they are bigger fools than we are. I have no doubt that Testors has had every intention of replicating the best selling colors in the Model Master line from the beginning. The entire Floquil and PollyScale lines aren't losers, certainly there are some colors in those lines that sold very well, probably as well as the most popular paint in other lines, just not enough of them to carry the whole rest of the line. All they're doing is dumping loser product lines, moving some popular colors to the flagship product line, and getting on with it.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 03:18:07 AM »
Actually, they would save money even if they moved the entire Floquil and Polly-Scale lines to Model Master.  They'd still make the same paint colors, but would eliminate separate bottles, labels, and inventory space.  I doubt that they'll do it, because it's too good an opportunity to also get rid of poor selling colors, but it would cut costs.
N Kalanaga
Be well

casmmr

• Crew
  • It is a Hobby
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2013, 07:47:00 AM »
After reading what has been posted here and on TrainBoard, I believe that what is happening is that Testor's is going to consolidate all model paint lines into 2, Model Master and Model Master Acryl, which can then be carried by the big box craft stores, Hobby Lobby and Michael's to name two.  The orders from the big box stores are profitable and is it smart business to accommodate the big orders rather than the small orders of the LHS which are made through distributors.  Also, the big box stores order direct and a large amount and not through a distributor, creating more profit for the manufacturer.  One LHS when you ordered a certain brand paint, required you to buy all 6 bottles which was his minimum order in that color, if he did not stock that color.  Big box stores will always have the colors that they stock and therein lies the problem, PRR Brunswick Green does not sell well to non PRR modelers.  So, we now have generic colors available at the big box and must find the accurate colors for our engines and rolling stock from other manufacturers.  Change is a constant and one must adapt to it. 

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2013, 08:06:48 AM »
I read this as an indication that someone at Testors is listening to their RR customer base.
My primary uses of Polly S and Polly Scale has been for structures and scenery, not on rolling stock where I was matching an specific railroad colors.
I have used engine black to paint over lettering on steam locomotive tenders to allow for relettering.

kalbert

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »
After reading what has been posted here and on TrainBoard, I believe that what is happening is that Testor's is going to consolidate all model paint lines into 2, Model Master and Model Master Acryl, which can then be carried by the big box craft stores, Hobby Lobby and Michael's to name two.  The orders from the big box stores are profitable and is it smart business to accommodate the big orders rather than the small orders of the LHS which are made through distributors.  Also, the big box stores order direct and a large amount and not through a distributor, creating more profit for the manufacturer.

That's just about exactly what's going on. We've all got our panties in a wad and the conspiracy theories are running wild but its really very simple. Its just business!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:46:20 AM by kalbert »

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2013, 10:19:21 AM »
That's just about exactly what's going on. We've all got our panties in a wad and the conspiracy theories are running wild but its really very simple. Its just business!

It may be "just business" but it is a poor way to do business. I really doubt re-releasing some of the colors was the plan all along or they would have said so at the beginning. I truely think this is reactionary and not part of a plan. If they planned this, then why wouldn't they have said it upfront. I can't believe that their PR people would have so little tact or fore thought as to not let the customer down easy and inform them of a plan to keep the most popular colors.

If the initial press release would have been something like:

"Testors is consolidating our Poly Scale and Floquil paint lines to help control costs and eliminate some inventory issues. Many of the slower selling paints will go away and the more active colors will be absorbed into our Model Master and Model Master acrylic lines."

I think that would have been a much less bitter pill to swallow yet that still doesn't cover the Pactra RC paints which have no equal replacement. In that, they are just flat eliminating a product line that is not replaceable.
Tony Hines

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »
We all know there is less painting and scratchbuilding than before, so does this come as a surprise?  Haven't sales of undecs gone way down, too?

We will be left with maybe one mfg of MRR paints, and prices will be higher to get what we want, just due to low volume.

I wonder.  Does anyone know how many jars of EL maroon, or IC orange gets sold each year?  It would seem that some of the roads they had MIGHT have sold less than you could count on your fingers (or maybe fingers and toes).  Any highly modeled road gets its own paint schems by the mfgs. 

Yes, I understand that if you model EL you are temporarily screwed, but I would bet the EL historical society (or some dedicated modeler who really cares) will start right to work on figuring out what colors and brands you can blend to match their colors more exactly.  Yes, it was nice for you dozen or so modelers of each road to have some company do it for you, but those days are diminishing.  One thing that hasn't diminished, however, is the resourcefulness of model railroaders to get what they want, and usually, to get it cheap!

Short version, MRR will survive.  Also, if we agree it is a diminishing hobby overall, and the building part is diminishing even further, we can expect more of this sort of thing, and should start scouring magazines for what guys in the 40"s-80's did before the boom of products.  Look at the bright side.....this will give Model Railroader and Craftsman an expanded mission statement and some new articles to write!

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2013, 01:14:59 PM »
Sorry guys, learn to mix paints- it's not rocket science.  My CN locomotive red is "Chevy engine red" and "International orange" and mixing Rio Grande orange was the same kind of generic mix.  Make a swatch on white cardboard using toothpick dabs for proportions, mix the spots and let it dry.  Pick your favorite and fine tune. 

If you really want to vent, buy a share and go to the annual meeting and talk to the management.

ArtinCA

• Crew
  • Get over it, they're not going to make that!
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2013, 09:11:54 AM »
After reading what has been posted here and on TrainBoard, I believe that what is happening is that Testor's is going to consolidate all model paint lines into 2, Model Master and Model Master Acryl, which can then be carried by the big box craft stores, Hobby Lobby and Michael's to name two.

This would make sense, except that in pretty much every Michaels I've been into, they only carry basic sprays and the little square bottles of paint. They are not a hobby shop, that stuff is just there for the hubby's to look at while wifey shops for foo-foo stuff. The idea of them expanding into the Model Master line is more of a dream than anything else. And their stocking levels stinks as well. Hobby Lobby my be a different beast, but everyone is limited to what they can carry room wise in a store.
Art in Iowa
Modeling in N scale
Go full foobie or go home!!
http://adventuresinmodeling.blogspot.com/

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2013, 09:20:31 AM »
PRR Brunswick Green does not sell well to non PRR modelers. 

I'm not sure if it even sells well to PRR modelers.  :trollface:

Too green for most people's taste, I hear.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."