Author Topic: EMD SD40 and GE U30C DEEX project  (Read 2332 times)

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
EMD SD40 and GE U30C DEEX project
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:49:59 PM »
So I mentioned in another thread that I was working on a new major project. It was the wrong thread for it so I will continue it with this one. My railroad is Monongahela and Detroit Edison rode these rails to get their coal loads. My come back to N-Scale will be what I hope to be a big splash with fully decked out models and if I can, phase specific. Over the years I have done a lot of experimenting and still have it all. I have designed a new power pickup method which allows me to put in a scale fuel tank with depth and a frame rail with traction motor cables. Now it is time to put that experiment into action. I have also done a lot of photo etching and will be doing some more, probably a lot more and some more 3D printing of detail parts. I made a really nice speed recorder and the GE speed recorder cones and units are on their way to have the masters cast in steel for solid masters which I hope to have cast from white metal.

This one is the simple disk speed recorder and is photo etch. The pin is a piece of 0.020" styrene rod with a piece of 0.008" annealed brass wire for cable.

I do not yet have photos of the GE coned speed recorder and wheel slip indicators. But there are two types of sending units on the tree. Enough cones and units to cover all six axles. They are to scale and look really nice. The speed recorder in the photo was done about two years ago. I still have a number of them left and will probably get more made when I send in my files to get other pertinent parts photo etched for these DEEX units.

One of the things I do and I did this for all my HO parts. When I design a part, I go on the forums and ask if anyone is interested in getting in on a run. I gather names. I pay for it all up front and the only thing I ask is if you send in your name, you commit to purchasing the items. The cost is split across all who are interested and the only additional cost to you is shipping. So as this project moves forward, I will post things I am going to get made. If you are interested, let me know and I will put you on the list.

My son in law is a dental caster. He has his own business. So when I get detail parts made, I send them to him and he melts them out and casts me solid metal masters. Then I can get castings made from them and have parts made in white metal. When I do this, I will also offer fellow modelers to get in on the run. You will not have to pay for the masters to be made, just the white metal run castings. This way I do not have to run a business, I get what I want and you all can piggy back on what I am up to and benefit if it fits your bill.

Brian

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
Re: EMD SD40 and GE U30C DEEX project
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »
Thinking
about a herd of SP U33C and maybe a couple of SP/SSW B36-7s.  PM with details, looking forward to these parts...
Support fine modeling

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »
I have designed a new power pickup method which allows me to put in a scale fuel tank with depth and a frame rail with traction motor cables.

OK you've got my attention.  That's always been a pet peeve of mine.
Aaron Bearden

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
Give me a little time. I am putting together an article about it now. I will send it to MRH (online magazine).

I ran the locomotive last night on DCC and it was smooth.

Brian

ryan_wilkerson

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • ShastaRails.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 01:55:33 PM »
Brian,
I like your "non-business" plan. Looking forward to getting in on your detail parts. The speed recorder looks good. I remember reading your articles on fans and your Utah Railway GP35 rebuilds to 38s. Glad you're back in N!

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »
Well, I do not know about the non-business plan. It has not always worked either  :).

The speed recorders are already on order. I had 200 frets made so there will be plenty to sell. I have also already sent the coned speed recorders to have the tree burnt out and metal masters made. Then I will get a quote on getting them made in white metal. I'll hit Details West up for that. He has done a project for me in the past. I'll get 200 sets of those made as well so there will be plenty in stock to sell.

The design of my parts require that you know how to build models. I imagine that there is not a person on this list who has not built a kit before. You will need to source small tools and parts. For instance. With both speed recorders, you need to buy some 0.0083" micro drill bits to drill a hole for the cable. for the disk speed recorder in the photo above you need to buy some 0.020" styrene rod. When I get the parts in, I will do a youtube video on how to assemble them. It is very easy, but I know how much it helps to actually see how it is done.

Brian

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:55:18 PM »
The design of my parts require that you know how to build models.

What a novel concept.  Can you do that from three feet away?   :ashat:
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »
You would be suprised at how many complaints I have heard from model railroaders pertaining to detail parts because there are no instructions on where the part goes or how to put it together. That is what mean when I said "The design of my parts require that you know how to build models".

Brian

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »
You would be suprised at how many complaints I have heard from model railroaders pertaining to detail parts because there are no instructions on where the part goes or how to put it together. That is what mean when I said "The design of my parts require that you know how to build models".

Brian

I'm not speaking down at you or your work, but I see both sides of the story here.
Your idea of "The design of my parts require that you know how to build models" can be taken in more than one direction.
I'm sure there are a number of folks out there who can build excellent models, but not without some form of instructions or at least a picture (or more) to work off of. I myself am that way with certain things.
Rather than just hold fast to your position, I'd suggest that you at least try and provide some form of instructions or recommended procedure for how to form-up and add your detail parts to a loco, and/or at least provide some photographs (that are easily printable) to help aid a modeler get the most out of your detail parts. Basically I'm asking that you provide some Service after the Sale. It'll give others a better impression of you, and it will earn you a good deal of repeat customers. It's the best business practice that any small business or cottage industry can adopt, especially since money is still tight for many.

Just a little something to think about.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +445
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »
I dunno.  A speed disk recorder...goes on a truck sideframe.  There aren't too many places to put it...  I would think if you ordered a special detail part you would do so because you realized your model lacked it, and therefore you would know where to attach it.
Aaron Bearden

jlong

• Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 10:30:57 AM »
Is it common to include instructions with detail parts? I guess it would depend on the application and MFG. I've got a few HO Precision Scale and Yardbird Trains steam loco detail parts still in their original package (for a never attempted project). None of them have instructions. Probably because the parts fit a number of applications and it would be difficult to make fit all application instructions. To understand where the parts go, you have to know steam locos and how to make the parts fit. It is assumed you know this. Not by just 6axle but by the detail part suppliers in general from what I've seen. Maybe some guidelines such as drill size and what advesive to use would be helpful. 6axle's post in my opinion is the general attitude toward detail parts. Opinions vary of course.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:41:20 AM by jlong »

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 10:47:17 AM »
Is it common to include instructions with detail parts? I guess it would depend on the application and MFG.

Generally not application instructions, but if the part requires some sort of assembly, there's usually at least a modicum of instruction, often just printed on the back of the packaging card itself.  Drill dize, a comment on the order in which to fold a part, etc.  Rarely something very in-depth, but something helpful so that the user doesn't have to pull out a few bits and figure out the correct size or something like that.

But if I were getting cheap parts from a non-company selling me stuff as a fellow community member that he just happened to make for himself, I'd be 1000% in support of as little additional work on their part as they wanted.  In that case they're usually performing more of a favor than a service, so I extend a heck of a lot of leniency there.  That said, I've gotten more than a few things from members here for little more than the cost of shipping and they usually include instructions; which is very nice of them, but not expected.  I'm sure it keeps them from getting questions on half the items they ship out, so they're doing themselves a favor anyways.
-Mark

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 10:59:54 AM »
As usual, internet is lacking in delivery. I am not looking down on anyone expecting the modeler to know everything. My goal is to get people modeling, create a thirst and demand for more. I do not want to alienate anyone or talk down to them. I want to show HOW EASY it really is to prototype model in N-Scale and how far we CAN push the limits. Maybe more of us would then attend RPM meets with models to show off. Again, create more of an interest.

If I were to start a detail parts company, I would provide instructions. Not printed. That just adds to the cost of the part. But I would create a video and show the tools, steps and procedures on how to use the part and assemble it as well as what it is. Post it up on youtube with a link from the ordering page.

For instance, I will do a video for the speed recorder. It is pretty basic, but there are tricks to making sure it fits properly and does not interfere with the coned pickup strip when installed. I know by experience that watching something goes a lot further than reading and trying to figure what is going on is a small dark picture. I think the video instruction is much better. Plus as you see it, you may see stuff in the background to give you an idea of other parts I am working on  ;).

Brian

jlong

• Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »

But if I were getting cheap parts from a non-company selling me stuff as a fellow community member that he just happened to make for himself, I'd be 1000% in support of as little additional work on their part as they wanted.  In that case they're usually performing more of a favor than a service, so I extend a heck of a lot of leniency there.

Exactly. Plus he's posted instructions right here in this thread. The guy has gone beyond generous. There is no free lunch in this world.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:22:49 AM by jlong »