Author Topic: Kato E5 MTL front coupler?  (Read 1071 times)

alasdaircg

• Respect: 0
Kato E5 MTL front coupler?
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
Little help please.  I had delayed putting in a front-end coupler in my E5 A-unit until I had the shell off anyway, to fit a decoder.  Did the latter, and went to drop in an MTL 2001 (or 2004, same problem) ... er, but no.  IIRC those are the MTL of choice for Kato E8, fitted previously, so had not really thought about it.  Moulding (black) just inside slot in pilot has a sort of vertical lip, which means the MTL points downward - certainly does not fit correctly.

Do I have to cut back the top of the MTL box (whether a 2001, 1015, whatever); or remove the lip?  Or is there a better solution?

2 points: I do not like Kato couplers (I know there is one in the box); I have searched the archives, tried to anyway, both here and other forums, with no result (but apologies if I have missed one).

TIA

Alasdair Gillies
London, England
(an ICRR fan, finding himself seduced to the 'silver side', particularly by this release!)

bill pearce

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: Kato E5 MTL front coupler?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »
Will this be coupled to anything for  any period of time? If it is generally a lead unit, with perhaps the occasional helper, I would consider using a Z scale coupler. I've done it on several E's and F's and been happy. The installation is a little fiddly, as some shimming is usually required, but it's a simple cut and try situation. I wouldn't count on the z coupler to serve for pulling a full train up a 2% grade, but I think the occasional helper would be fine.

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »
I have replaced other Kato pilot couplers with MTL z-scale couplers.
They fit snuggly within the Kato space.

alasdaircg

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »
Bill / Roger: thanx both.  2 probs with the Z scale route: coupler box still fouls the 'lip' I refer to, above, so mounted coupler points downward; and anyway, the rake (slant) at the front of the E5 is so pronounced - e.g. more than any steamer I have to hand - an MTL 905 just isn't big / long enough to clear the pilot!

To get round the latter problem, it will have to be a 2001 (the longer of the 2 offset types).  This is not an issue on the more 'bulldog' nosed types (E8/9, F3, F7 &c).

Maybe I will just have to think about assignments.  Trouble is I have another of the beauties on the way: I think I have seen somewhere that E7A + B unit (E5, or F3 or 7, apparently) + E7A was not uncommon.

Suggestions welcome.

Alasdair