Author Topic: Athearn Parts  (Read 1550 times)

TrainReign

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Athearn Parts
« on: September 08, 2013, 12:29:35 PM »
I'd need a bunch of truck screws for my Athearn N Scale boxcars. I believe the Athearn part number is 99016. I don't see these listed on Athearn's website. In fact I see very few N scale parts listed on their website.

Does Athearn carry these?

Where else can I get them (and what size are they)?

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 12:49:12 PM by TrainReign »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Athearn Parts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:34:27 PM »
Athearn sells these directly. It is done through email, not on the website. The website has a link to contact them for spare parts.  Click on the "contact" link http://www.athearn.com/About/Contact.aspx , then select "parts" and compose your inquiry.  They will respond with availability and price.  Then you send them your credit card info in emails.  I suppose you might be also able to do this over the phone - ask them.  That is how in the past I've ordered things like those trucks from them.
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:57:55 AM »
Sending credit card info in emails can be tricky.  If you put it all in one email anyone who intercepts that email, and it isn't hard to do, can read the info.  If sending "secret" info by email, one of the easiest ways to make it more secure is to send it in multiple messages.  The first would have an explanation of how it was split, and how to reassemble it, with the info itself in later messages.  For a credit card, my suggestion, which I have used, goes like this:

First message:  Name - since they have to know who you are anyway, and type of card.  Neither is any secret.  It can also include your order and any related messages. 

Second message:  I have a Visa card.  I sent the first and third 4-digit groups with the validation code.  Nothing in the message said what the numbers were, just three groups of seemingly random numbers.  It also had my first initial and last name, not enough to use the card.

Third message: The second and fourth groups, similarly unlabeled, and the initial and name, with a confirmation of what I was ordering.

In this case, it was to a well-known online hobby shop, and they kept the info on file, so it doesn't need to be resent in the future.
N Kalanaga
Be well

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:11:08 AM »
I have ordered quite a few Athearn parts. I always call them. If it goes to an answering machine I hang up and call them again later. Always talk to a live person and place my order.

Shipping is going to be $10.00 regardless of how few you order. You order one set of truck screws and it will be $10.00

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +488
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:00:55 AM »
I just ordered parts from Athearn and they do not want CC info in an email. They want your phone number and then they call you for the CC info. Worked well.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1329
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:47:23 AM »
Carl and Brian:  Actually talking to a real person, and knowing that person is at the company you're ordering from, is probably one of the most secure ways of sending credit card info.  It sounds like Athearn has put some thought into their ordering system.
N Kalanaga
Be well