Author Topic: Kato SD40-2 shell question  (Read 5410 times)

6axlepwr

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
Re: Kato SD40-2 shell question
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 09:05:31 AM »
Going just a bit far with the rivet counting there Brian.

:facepalm:

Because this is the internet, I first need to clarify that my response is not intended as a sharp retort back or that I am offended. Not in the least. Just good conversation among fellow modelers.

I do not think it is, I think it is prototype accuracy. But if taking rivet counting a bit to far was the case, then I wouldn't even care about swapping out the shell to produce an accurate model. Just paint the early version 40-2 whatever I needed it to be regardless of the phase and call it done. 

The other major problem is the GP35 nose is an 81" nose and uses the minor brake pump instead of the brake wheel. So in short and the least amount of work needed is simply to replace the shell with a mid production shell.

Brian

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 09:11:19 AM »
Going just a bit far with the rivet counting there Brian.

Rivet counting is never a crime (unless you are counting someone elses rivets). LOL!

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »
Brian,Even on a slow day the longest part of the job shortening the snoot is going to be disassembling the shell so you can shorten the hood. As for the walkway light your probably the only person that will even know it is there.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
Having purchased a couple of Brian's efforts years ago when he sold off his collection, I was astounded by the workmanship and attention to detail. I look forward to seeing more masterpieces!

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 10:39:15 AM »
As for the walkway light your probably the only person that will even know it is there.

That is very sad to know.  :(

Brian

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »

Brian

But unfortunately true. I have 4 GWR 4-wheeled coaches that were assembled from kits by a top-notch modeller (as per UK spelling). Some of the cars even have interiors, which once window glass is installed and the coaches cleaned up and painted, the interiors will be un-noticable, especially because such coaches didn't have lights, and if they ever did, it was only a tiny oil lamp in the first class compartments, and in the guard's compartment in the brake coach.
The point of all that is that some things are great in concept, and it may be worth it now, but unless you are going to light up said walkway light, it is worth about as much as a wooden penny at your local bank.

(Kudos for doing so though, since now that you've told us about it, we all know that it will be there, though either way it'd be cool if you light it)

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 01:07:36 AM »

Brian

Its not bad...I mean these forums are for us to learn from one another.  However, the walkway light, is that on the nose?  Curious how the SD40-2 version vs the GP35 looks.

I'm doing a few SD40-2s like this, as I doubt Kato will do this style anytime soon.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 08:31:27 AM »

Brian

Brian-  This is certainly not the case.  Those that know will applaud your efforts.  There are still some of us N scalers that care about accuracy... and I'm surprised that Railwire is sounding like a 3' Society in this thread. 

I, for one, am patiently waiting for you to move beyond a simple N scale shell match and paint job and into something clever like frame detailing and hiding pickup strips!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:33:53 AM by Sokramiketes »

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2013, 08:32:45 AM »
Its not bad...I mean these forums are for us to learn from one another.  However, the walkway light, is that on the nose?  Curious how the SD40-2 version vs the GP35 looks.

I'm doing a few SD40-2s like this, as I doubt Kato will do this style anytime soon.

There are three places for walkway lights. On the nose, the long hood end and the step down of the blower duct. The ones on the nose and long hood end are between the sander cleanout doors. The other is at the end of the blower duct on the left side. In your photo, you can see the walkway lights. Look at the first pilot stanchion on the right. At the lower portion you will see the stanchion split two rectangular shapes on the bottom of the nose between the sander cleanout doors. Those are the walkway lights and they are the same on the long hood end.

On the GP30 and GP35, there is a notch cutout at this same location and a light bulb fits into the upper portion of the notch. Take a look at this photo and look at the area between the sander doors. You will see a notched plate with a little hole at the upper portion.  http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=438769&nseq=13 After the GP35, the walkway lights went to what they are on the BN SD40-2 you show in the photo.

Brian

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 08:39:13 AM »
Heck, I'm interested in this thread. I've got a UP snoot I had been toying with modifying for either an MP coal service engine or MKT. I'd kinda lost interest in the project.

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2013, 08:50:05 AM »
Brian-  This is certainly not the case.  Those that know will applaud your efforts.  There are still some of us N scalers that care about accuracy... and I'm surprised that Railwire is sounding like a 3' Society in this thread. 

I, for one, am patiently waiting for you to move beyond a simple N scale shell match and paint job and into something clever like frame detailing and hiding pickup strips!

Mike, and I think I know who this Mike is. I will not be deterred this time. I am on a mission to change the face of N-Scale. Just be patient a little longer and you are going to see some really cool stuff. You are going to be absolutely blown away by what I am working on and hope to bring to market. Let me just say that if I can actually get this part made that is currently in process and be successful, There are good times ahead for the N-Scale prototype detailer. I wish I could go into more detail, but I can't.

I figure maybe about another couple months and I will have some product for sale. I need to redo my web page and get it ready for this. I have a few more parts to design and get quantities cast and I am working on some MRH articles to help promote Prototype Modeling in N-Scale. My new slogan is "Prototype Modeling in N-Scale to the Nth Degree".

Brian

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:49 AM »
Heck, I'm interested in this thread. I've got a UP snoot I had been toying with modifying for either an MP coal service engine or MKT. I'd kinda lost interest in the project.

Unless you have the decals for the MKT model, you may want to do it in MP. Microscale is out of stock on the one key decal sheet for MKT. I wanted to build up three MKT units and was getting ready to order the decals and no luck anywhere. It is decal sheet 60-180. So I will wait until they are back in stock.

By the way, the shell swap I did was specifically for MKT SD40-2's. Putting the mid production shell on the early walkway makes it a dead ringer for MKT.

Brian

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2013, 10:09:30 AM »

What you have in your photo is an 88"nose mid production unit with a minor brake pump. The Kato model is an 88" nose mid production unit with a brake wheel. You can tell it is an 88" nose unit by looking at the space from where the rounded corner of the nose starts and the cavity of the brake pump. Here is a photo of an 81" nose unit and you can see that the same area is much narrower http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cnw/cnw6805abp.jpg.

Brian

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
I will not be deterred this time. I am on a mission to change the face of N-Scale.

Good luck with that, seriously.

Like Mike said, there are some of us who do care about and enjoy detailing locomotives.

In my case the SD40-2 isn't a model that interests me, especially the fat hooded Kato version.  If you want to talk missing fill hatches on F units with stem generators or the dynamic brake box and fan spacing on the Atlas GP30, then I'm in.  :)

Jason

6axlepwr

• Crew
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2013, 11:52:40 AM »
Good luck with that, seriously.

Like Mike said, there are some of us who do care about and enjoy detailing locomotives.

In my case the SD40-2 isn't a model that interests me, especially the fat hooded Kato version.  If you want to talk missing fill hatches on F units with stem generators or the dynamic brake box and fan spacing on the Atlas GP30, then I'm in.  :)

Jason

You mention the GP30. Yes, definite mistake on the fans. The fix is to use a GP35 fan hatch and graft it on. Then remove the center 36" fan and replace it with the GP30 36" fan. What does surprise me though is the fact that Atlas actually put the 1" plate under the DB fan. HO didn't even get this. The other ouch with the N-Scale GP30 is the DB cable routing shroud that is in front of the DB fan. Only two roads had this. UP and Southern. This shroud is there because both UP and Southern had extended range dynamics. Because of this the DB cables needed to be rerouted over the top of the hood so they built this shroud to shield them. But what was left off was the DB access doors on the side of the blister. So for any other road, you need to cut this shroud out and rebuild the DB hatch area. So in short, the Atlas GP30 is sort of a prototype mess.