Author Topic: Benchwork toppers Pro and Con  (Read 6723 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Benchwork toppers Pro and Con
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 05:09:23 PM »
There are lots of options for attaching switch machines.

I have the same problem on my shelf.

I've fixed it by creating mounting pads on which I mount the turnout controls, which themselves are recessed into holes in the foam.

I'll try and grab some pics tonight.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1254
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 05:23:35 PM »
When  I start my next layout, it will be very different, based on my previous experience. Last layout used wood. Lots and lots of it. Little did I know how much wood can expand and contract with changes in humidity. My last one had 2x legs with L girders supporting 1/2" plywood roadbed, and plaster over screenwire scenery. Next one will be Micore on top of a steel stud framework and legs. Let's see that stuff shrink and swell. I might decide to use Masonite spline roadbed, but you can be sure it will be covered with several coats of primer. I will return to using yellow carpenter's glue to hold down track and a thin plaster shell on screenwire. Turnouts shouldn't be a problem if the hole for the actuating wire is also primed.

Being in Utah, I don't have noticeable expansion and contraction of my wood benchwork, but, I can see that it'd be a problem in areas of high humidity.

Even living in one of the most dry States, I decided at some point a couple of decades ago, to prime and seal some of my benchwork on several modules to see if I could observe any advantage to doing so.  Nope...just more work.  But, I'm sure if I lived somewhere with high humidity, priming and sealing WOULD make a difference.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 08:25:53 PM »
I have started with foam over a plywood module sections. It has gone okay, but I don't like routing the turnout throw rod from my Blue Points  through the foam. I had added a rectangular brass "tube" through the foam to contain the throw rod, and it has worked okay. This has been for an area that is mostly flat.

When I get to the end of the current bench work I plan on going with an open grid with 3/4 inch plywood on risers as there will be a long grade. Wiring is also a bit of a pain when everything is covered up. I had planned on having the foam covered modules be "self contained" so that I could take each section and turn it on its side, but that hasn't worked out for my plan due to some unforeseen circumstances (ie. joints between modules in the middle of a turnout, etc..).

It is possible to mix and match ideas as you go. Some techniques may work out better than others for various portions of your layout.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 10:55:12 PM »
... I'm going to venture a guess that there are two schools of thought about how to build benchwork....
(1) The "Tabletop School": T...
The second school of thought is the "Open Benchwork School",...

Robert:

I thought this was a really good summary of the key factors one could/should/ought to consider in making a choice about benchwork....you ever consider writing an article about this?   Better yet: how about conspiring with our moderators into making this one of those "sticky" type things that people can refer to in future?
Regards,
Paul