Author Topic: N scale Storage Case - Good Idea, Bad Idea or No Idea?  (Read 7002 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
Re: N scale Storage Case - Good Idea, Bad Idea or No Idea?
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 06:05:03 PM »
The issue with that is that the foam is only 1" thick.  IIRC that was the thickest I could cut with the die as it was made.  As you go down the stack you do get some compression of the foam due to the weight to the point where there could be concern at the bottom most tray.  If you put strips between the 'T's you cut down on the vertical space as opposed to covering the whole tray and keeping the full height of the 'T's.

I don't remember what sort of testing I did or how serious of an issue this was but I know it was an issue to some extent.  I should probably look at it again and really see how bad it is. I could always go with some sort of stand off, but would prefer not to add more to a fairly simple setup.

Jason

The hard felt is only a fraction of an inch thick. I'd be worried if compression creates issues with or without the minimal thickness added by the felt.

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 06:07:21 PM »
Here's a couple spaces for different cars.

And a note on the 'T's sticking to a foam liner.  The 'T's will tear from the their adhesive backing before they it separate from the liner.  And that's after 14 years.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »
The hard felt is only a fraction of an inch thick. I'd be worried if compression creates issues with or without the minimal thickness added by the felt.

There's no worries without, that I know.

As for felt, it has it's own issues as far as grabbing small details and trip pins.  You can also get 'hairs' into the wheelsets.  And something that flat doesn't provide much cushioning (if that ends up being desirable) and isn't thick enough to keep things like the grab irons on an Intermountain box car from rubbing on the tray.  I'm sure there some ideal solution out there, it's just a matter of finding it.

edit: oops, I didn't know I had posted something before I was done.  :oops:

Jason
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:21:25 PM by wcfn100 »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »
There's no worries without.

As for felt, it has it's own issues as far as grabbing small details and trip pins.  But I'm sure there some ideal solution out there, it's just a matter of finding it.

Jason

That's why I was recommending "hard" felt. It's not like regular felt; it's very tightly compacted and almost smooth, with very little chance of snagging anything.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »
That's why I was recommending "hard" felt.

At some point because of abrasion, there no real advantage to a hard felt over something like a slippery plastic which is something else I could look at for making the trays.

Jason
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:26:14 PM by wcfn100 »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2013, 06:59:46 PM »
At some point because of abrasion, there no real advantage to a hard felt over something like a slippery plastic which is something else I could look at for making the trays.

Jason

A perfect slippery and soft material would be the thin material used for bags which protect electronic devices (like flat screen LCD monitors) inside their shipping boxes.  I think it is polypropylene but it is thicker than standard clear plastic bags and it has a foamy consistency. It is still only about 0.030" thick.  I'm a packrat so I save stuff like that when I buy new monitors. But if you were to offer a kit of materials, you would need to figure out where to buy this stuff in larger quantities.

Hot glue does a good job as adhesive (for both thew bag material and for the foam blocks.
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2013, 07:06:35 PM »
Hot glue does a good job as adhesive (for both thew bag material and for the foam blocks.

The foam blocks already have the adhesive on them.

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 11:58:29 PM »
I like the idea Jason.  Especially since it fits a standard box.  I hate it when my Axion boxes get smudged, or worse, rained on when moving.  With these, a new fresh box is an easy generic fix.

How about the closed cell packing foam sheets from Uline?  It comes in rolls, precut to squares. Should be easy to adhere to the masonite and won't eat up thickness.  It's definitely non-abrasive.  I've packed more than my share of molded freight car bodies in it for shipment to China for decorating.

http://www.uline.com/BL_864/Foam-Sheets?pricode=WE430&gclid=COHG-KLAybcCFWJlMgodkAQAHA&gclsrc=aw.ds

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 12:07:51 AM »
How about the closed cell packing foam sheets from Uline?  It comes in rolls, precut to squares. Should be easy to adhere to the masonite and won't eat up thickness.  It's definitely non-abrasive.  I've packed more than my share of molded freight car bodies in it for shipment to China for decorating.

http://www.uline.com/BL_864/Foam-Sheets?pricode=WE430&gclid=COHG-KLAybcCFWJlMgodkAQAHA&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll look at it as well as the stuff Pete talked about.  I need to load a box with trays w/o the liners and see what room is left before it hits the lid.

Jason

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1242
    • Modutrak
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2013, 12:28:15 AM »
Sent the wrong link, here's all the thicknesses.  1/16" should be good.

http://www.uline.com/BL_869/Perforated-Foam-Rolls

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 11:21:36 AM »
I like the idea,, and along with the felt pad idea that DKS threw in,,,winner winner, chicken dinner!!!

It would make it easier to get certain types of rolling stock sorted out, than my current method of throwing jewel boxes into a large rubber maid. If I want a covered hopper, I go to the covered hopper box,, etc , etc.

you could even add a adhesive sheet protector so you can have a inventory at a glance..etc etc.

I know I would probally fabricate something out of either alluminum, or wood to hold multiple banker boxes. Like a coffin for banker boxes with wheels.

adios wyatt

Zox

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
    • Lord Zox's Home Page
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 09:57:05 PM »
I haven't looked at the tool drawer material but I would recommend against the shelf liner, if it is the soft spongy type.  The stuff can leach plasticizer, which can soften and melt plastic car bodies. It takes some time for this to happen, but the last thing you want to see after storing your cars for a year or two is that the car sides have the shelf liner's texture permanently imprinted in them!

I can confirm this from painful experience.
Rob M., a.k.a. Zox
z o x @ v e r i z o n . n e t
http://lordzox.com/
It is said a Shaolin chef can wok through walls...

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
Just be careful you don't make a complete line of those pieces, else they disappear...
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2013, 11:32:54 AM »
Sent the wrong link, here's all the thicknesses.  1/16" should be good.

http://www.uline.com/BL_869/Perforated-Foam-Rolls

Also comes in 1/32 inch. Cut this stuff into small rectangles, and use it instead of the felt I had recommended. Some double-sided tape ought to work to adhere it.

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »
Just be careful you don't make a complete line of those pieces, else they disappear...

:facepalm:
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.