Author Topic: Tender Drives  (Read 2471 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Tender Drives
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »
peteski,

I'm glad a separate thread was started because it was overtaking Jason's T1 thread progress.  At least we can keep the discussion here.

Yeah, but NOW the speaker can be put up front where ther sounds come from anyway!

The other discussion has been inactive for a while.  IIRC, it was Jason's another post where he first revealed that he would use tender drive.

Yes, the speaker can be placed in the locomotive but it is more challenging to find space for as large speaker as possible and to make the enclosure for it as large as possible and airtight.  Due to their shape, tenders are natural speaker enclosures.  Think of the shape of a home entertainment speaker system: it is a form of a cube. I'm not against loco-mounted speaker. The installation is just more challenging.
. . . 42 . . .

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +455
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
Damn Jason, you got my attention again, it looks great, and runs better!! pulls like a beast to boot!!
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »
Peteski, you lost me; what Kato S2 trucks? Kato makes an S2?

I just purchased a cheapo 44 tonner for a tender drive mech but its not as small as one would think, it's about the size of a medium USRA so the quest for a more compact tender drive continues....

Jason, I got to look at the RDC tonight, I have one of the shorties I used under a lightweight baggage car shell to help a wimpy brass steam engine pull its train. DCC'd to the same address as the loco....
Great stuff,
Otto K.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1774
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 08:02:11 PM »
I just looked up some info on the RDC and the NW2 trucks.  It was posted on an old Atlas Forum thread.

Good gracious... the RDC trucks have about 33" wheels and about the correct wheelbase for most
6-wheel steam tender trucks, with a universal coupling and integrated gears. 

Bwa ha ha ha.   Jason.  This has a lot of promise.

The NW2 is about the same, but with a 21:1 gear ratio instead of 12:1.

BWA HA HA HA.

Shave off the sideframes, slap on new ones, put a "phony" middle wheel in there  and you are all set.

Filing this away for a future project.

A little math...
1000 rpm (very conservative speed to expect even a cheap motor to run well at with good power).
1000/12:1 = 83 rpm at the wheels.

= 8.1 scale mph.   Not particularly fantastic.    But then, 1000 rpm was very pessimistic.   A decent Mashima or
other good quality conventional motor can run well at much lower speeds than that.
(and the NW2 trucks would get you 12/21 of the speed, or about 4.6 mph.

This is sounding much easier than I had imagined.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4529
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2013, 11:08:16 PM »
Sorry, I had a brain fart. I meant Kato SW2.  :facepalm: 

Also, while I haven't tried it, I suspect that larger diameter wheels (from another Kato truck) could probably replace the 33" wheels in the RDC truck.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:10:42 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:23 PM »
Sorry, I had a brain fart. I meant Kato NW2:facepalm: 

Also, while I haven't tried it, I suspect that larger diameter wheels (from another Kato truck) could probably replace the 33" wheels in the RDC truck.

Fixed that for you.   :lol:
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »
Thanks for the added info Max!
 I am glad that you guys have realized some other purposes through my experiment.

Delamaize (mike)- havent forgotten about you, I will try ane get some castings ready soon.  Oh and Thanks!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2271
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2013, 10:49:29 AM »
Speaking of SW/NW/whatever-2 as the basis for a tender drive, all this discussion makes me think of is a 1:1 version, the SW1 once used as a "tender" drive behind an otherwise historic 4-4-0 at Stone Mountain Scenic Railroad near Atlanta. They left the stock tender though, and cobbled-up a baggage car-ish shell to disguise the diesel. It seemed to work, if you didn't mind that there was no steam or smoke from the "locomotive", or the burble-burble of a tired, normally-aspirated 567 on leaving the station. (I.e., it killed the ambiance.) :facepalm: