Author Topic: New N Scale Concrete Barriers  (Read 4797 times)

Great Lakes Models

• Respect: 0
New N Scale Concrete Barriers
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »
N Scale Concrete Barriers
Great Lakes Models

Here is our new product.
They are available in 3 different quantities.

available at www.greatlakesmodels.com

Product Info

Concrete Barriers

N Scale

015 002 415 010-04

$4.32

4 pieces

--------------------------------------

Concrete Barriers

N Scale

015 002 415 010-08

$6.76

8 pieces

----------------------------------------

Concrete Barriers

N Scale

015 002 415 010-16

$12.52

16 pieces

---------------------------------------

Our Concrete Barriers are made out of a Lead Free white metal and are easily paintable with a Concrete Color. They are exact replicas of the 4' Straight V-Block Concrete Barrier.

Concrete Barriers came out around the time of the Interstate Building Project of the 1950s. Concrete plants could use the left over cement at the end of the day to produce Barriers. They would then use these Barriers to form bins to hold their Aggregate, Sand, etc. As other companies started looking at these Barriers, they became more common during the 1980s.  In 1994 World Block Company started selling the metal form for the V Groove version and the use exploded. Now you see them everywhere from job sites to Railroad Yards.  Landscaping Companies use them as bins or even just as retaining walls, etc. Since Barriers have become more standard now there is even a resale market out there and Construction Companies will have piles of Barriers in their yards.

Options for use:

1) Used to form bins at: Cement Plants, Rail Yards, Landscape Company or Construction Company Yard, Farms to hold Sand, Aggregate, Ballast, Feed and Grain, etc.

2) Construction Company Yard all stacked as a pile.

3) Job site as a Barrier to keep cars out.

4) End of a road as a Barrier.

5) Parking lot as a Barrier for trucks.

6) Retaining Wall.

7) On a Farm to hold Grain and Feed in.

8) A couple stacked to help support temporary poles or light posts at a job site.

Great Lakes Models
www.greatlakesmodels.com

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3528
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
Re: New N Scale Concrete Barriers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »
Nice little product, and I commend you for taking the time to illustrate possible prototype uses for us.

Tim
T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:47:25 PM »
Nice little product, and I commend you for taking the time to illustrate possible prototype uses for us.

Tim

Yes, very cool.  I was having a hard time visualizing what the product represented from the e-mail, but the photos here are very good examples and I'll have to have some.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
Thanks for the photos and the product!  One of those everyday, ubiquitous objects that are there, but not spectacular or even noticed most of the time.  When I first saw your photos, I thought to myself "What are those??"...then after looking at your photos, I thought "Ah...YEAH...I've seen those!"

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1569
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:58:45 PM »
Seem a little on the expensive side.  Have you considered casting in resin rather than metal?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Great Lakes Models

• Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 12:23:20 AM »
I'm glad you like them I have been working on getting these out for some time.

Yes I checked on making them out of other materials( including resin) this is the cheapest way. That why it took so long to get them out.

I have more pictures on the website for other uses I have seen them used for.
www.greatlakesmodels.com

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 01:51:05 AM »
I agree that this is a very useful detailing item which is will come in very handy!

We have made less detailed version from hydrocal.  Here they are installed on a layout.

While these are very useful, I also think the price is a bit steep.  for example, NZT sells their resin-cast bulk containers in packages of 12 for $12. They can be found online for even less than that price. Those are much more detailed than the concrete barriers and a decal is also included.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:38:15 AM by tom mann »
. . . 42 . . .

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
Nice Eco-Blocks!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 10:38:41 AM »
People (like me) who do decide to buy some of the barriers might just buy one package then use them as masters to cast their own (for their own use).  If they were less expensive to begin with, those people would most likely purchase the amount they need and skip the hassle of re-casting their own.
Just saying...

Just saying that'd be wrong?

Because that would be pretty messed up. Someone took some time to bring something new to market, dropped their own money to do it, but because it's more than you'd want to spend on it, you'll just copy it?

That's not cool.

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »

Because that would be pretty messed up. Someone took some time to bring something new to market, dropped their own money to do it, but because it's more than you'd want to spend on it, you'll just copy it?

That's not cool.

No, it's not cool.

Personally I would take any comments about price with a grain of salt. 

I would assume Great Lakes has figured out what their labor costs are to make these and they've added some profit (which they should) and are at the point of testing.

Put them out there and see what happens.

The market will determine if the pricing is a mistake or not.

And if I were a supplier/manufacturer of model RR "stuff" I wouldn't give much thought to what others are charging for a totally different item.   
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 11:17:10 AM by MichaelWinicki »

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 11:18:54 AM »

That's not cool.

but it is a reality ... happens all the time  -- isnt' that how some of the loco shells get made .. modify an existing shell to suit the prototype you want ..

Chulvis

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +5
    • http://www.featherrivertrains.com
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 11:23:15 AM »
I don't see a problem with the price. The 16 piece package comes out to .78 cents each. I don't think Great Lakes will be uncorking any bottles of Dom PĂ©rignon in celebration of his fortunes made in cast metal detail parts.

Cool product, BTW.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »
I would love to see Feather River Trains and other shops start to carry the Great Lakes line. So far, their products are only available from a single shop, and the shipping charge is a bit steep unless you buy multiples. I would be much, much more likely to try out their products if they could be included in a larger order from FRT or others.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8039
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »
but it is a reality ... happens all the time  -- isnt' that how some of the loco shells get made .. modify an existing shell to suit the prototype you want ..

That's true, but when that happens, there are modifications being done.

It's not like someone said "I'll just order one of those BLMA gons, make a casting, and start making my own".

I think it's poor form to openly advocate ripping off someone like that, especially right to their face. It discourages people from trying to make new things.

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 06:29:26 PM »
I think it's poor form to openly advocate ripping off someone like that, especially right to their face. It discourages people from trying to make new things.

+1
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.