Author Topic: Northwest Industrial Park Engineering Report  (Read 30811 times)

SSW7771

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
Northwest Industrial Park Engineering Report
« on: May 21, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »
I am starting this topic to track my progress on my Northwest Industrial Park N scale shelf layout. The main purpose for this layout help me build up my modelings skills. That way when (if when) I get a chance to build the "dream" Layout I will be better prepared.

The layout was inspired by Lance Mindheim's book "How To Build A Shelf Layout" however, I changed the locate to the real Northwest Industrial Park in NW Houston, Texas along SP's Houston-Dallas Line. I chose several industries and relocated them to the same lead which I used as the basis for the layout.

I started the layout about a year and half ago just after I got married. The layout as if currently stands is fully operational and has very rough scenery. Couple of the structures are in progress. Now for a few pictures...

Thanks,

Marshall
Marshall

auburnrails

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Northwest Industrial Park Engineering Report
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »
Welcome!  Looks awesome, too.  I'm also inspired by Lance's work and gradually working on a modular industrial layout.  It's nice to see your work.  It's hard to tell from the pictures, but do you use a cassette for the lead?

Great job!

-Dave

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +493
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:08:39 PM »
sweet, looks good. I also enjoy Lance's work, and I'm beginning work on a small inglenook layout that will be operated like an industrial park a bit. Looking forward to seeing more work  8)
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

SSW7771

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
Welcome!  Looks awesome, too.  I'm also inspired by Lance's work and gradually working on a modular industrial layout.  It's nice to see your work.  It's hard to tell from the pictures, but do you use a cassette for the lead?

Great job!

-Dave

Thanks for the comments guys!

Dave, yes that is a cassette on the right. It provides a swtiching lead and staging at the begining and end of the op session. I orginally built the layout on top a shelving unit in my old apartment. The cassette went across the bedroom door and was removed when the layout was not in use. Since then we bought a house and now it is mounted on the wall using the adjustable shelving from Home Depot. Below are a few pictures of the cassette:

Thanks,

Marshall 
Marshall

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 01:31:46 AM »
Always good to see the SSW/SP here  :D
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

auburnrails

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:16:28 AM »
Thanks for the shots of the cassette.  Nice!  I was asking about it because my under construction will need one as a lead but it will stick out into the middle of the room about 5' so I'm not sure how to proceed yet.  It's early - plenty of time to plan it - but it will need at least a leg of some sort since I don't have a wall to rest it on. 

Great job!

-Dave

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 09:56:32 PM »
Always great to see someone modeling a TEXAS prototype!

I grew up in Houston and spent a lot of time driving around the old H&TC from Houston to Hearne and the old Katy along I-10.

You will need some GP-9E's or SW-1500's for the 80's and 90's, or throw in some RS-11's and RS-32's in the 70's. UP has used a collection of GP38/40/60 series and B40-8's on the locals that run this line.

postman

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »
Like your layout. I´m also building a switching layout inspired by Lance Mindheim´s work. Have 2 industries, a food processor and a transload terminal.  I´m modeling CSX in South Florida.
Any update?

SSW7771

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 05:52:13 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys!

Here is a quick update. I have not have much train time between my travel schedule for work and house chores. A few weeks ago I caught my cat Thor getting a little too personnal with the layout. Sorry for the fuzzy picture, I stepped out the room for a second and upon return caught him red handed.

So I switched gears and starting building a lighting valance to take care of two issues:
1. better layout lighting
2. a place to mount a cover to keep Thor off the layout when not in use

Here is the current state of the valance. I still need to paint and install lighting.

Thanks,

Marshall
Marshall

auburnrails

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »
Looks great!

-Dave

SSW7771

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 07:42:25 PM »
Layout Update!

I have not had much layout time since the last update, but I did get the lighting valance finished and installed. Below are a few pictures of the lights I installed, I plan to change the light bulbs out with some LED bulbs later on. Overall I am pleased with results. For those who have a good eye, you will notice that the light fixtrues were about 1" too big. I may extend the valance in the future to hide these.

Thanks,

Marshall
Marshall

avel

• Crew
    • Layout Album
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 08:02:52 PM »
This is cool, makes me want to get my plank out and do a little work on it. Maybe extend it just so I have an excuse to get some of the Exactrail bulkhead flatcars.
iamaman27 on the youtubes

Supaned

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 04:25:31 PM »
Great layout - one question I have.

Do you manually uncouple the cars or use magnets for hands-free?

SSW7771

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 08:38:13 PM »
Great layout - one question I have.

Do you manually uncouple the cars or use magnets for hands-free?

I use a Rix pick uncoupling tool for manual uncoupling. It works good for my application.

Thanks,

Marshall
Marshall

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +165
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »
Looks good! What is the area in the foreground going to be? I think it is listed as Energy Alloys on your schamtic.