Author Topic: Mark Dance's CPR in Railroad Model Craftsman Magazine  (Read 4695 times)

fredmoehrle

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
Re: Mark Dance's CPR in Railroad Model Craftsman Magazine
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 12:17:46 PM »
  But I've noticed manufacturers tend to release models for which drawings have been featured in mags eventually. Affect or effect, who knows, but it seems to be a good thing.

Nothing seems to get a model released faster then somebody sacrificing blood & fingers to the old #5 demon! :scared:

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +230
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 12:53:44 PM »
Gents, the latest issue of Railroad Model Craftsman magazine is hitting the shelves now and the feature article is on Mark Dance's CP layout.  We have all seen photos of Mark's incredible layout and this issue will not disappoint.  I had the pleasure of proofing the article before the issue was sent off to the printer.

Mark & Scott,

Haven't seen the article yet, but looking forward to it.  BTW: Got to run the Slocan job @ Mark's about 15 months ago— was awesome and still has me thinking of doing a car-float layout in N myself.  Hope you have some stuff on operations and the unique use of space for Slocan/Rosebery/Nakusp area:

( http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/4626237955/in/set-72157624106602402 )

-Dave

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 04:06:54 PM »
Mark & Scott,

Hope you have some stuff on operations and the unique use of space for Slocan/Rosebery/Nakusp area:

-Dave

Hi Dave: 
The RMC article covers the design philosophy of the layout and what I learned/would do differently (as well as lots of "eye candy" shots :) ).  The article draws very much on the same material that formed the presentation I gave at last year's "Trains" show in Vancouver.

Should you be specifically interested in C&W ops and the Slocan branch, last year's Model Railroad Planning 2012 covered the double mushroom design in the Slocan/Nakusp area while the August-September 2012 edition of Canadian Railway Modeler had a photo feature specifically on the rail barge train.  Additionally, if I am lucky, there will be an article on the car forwarding system in the Dispatcher's Office this fall.

Hope these are helpful.

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

skytop35

• Crew
  • Respect: +731
    • Skytop Models
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
Mark,

Congrats on the cover of RMC. I don't usually buy it but looks like I will have to get a copy to read your fine article!

Bill Denton

Skytopmodels.com

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 04:48:39 PM »
Another thing I like about RMC is the building plans.

I subscribed last June or July to  RMC for the plans, but I've only found one or two that I can use. Usually I thumb through an issue, find nothing of interest, and throw it on a stack of old magazines to get rid of.

Hmm... Kiz's stack is
three feet high...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »
Well deserved: a great model railroad and modeler.  I might have to break down and buy this pamphlet.
Bob