Author Topic: If you thought N scale is expensive...  (Read 3623 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: If you thought N scale is expensive...
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 12:07:59 AM »
Clever how you snuck this into the N scale forum Lou...     ;)

Ha...   But seriously,  I think we're getting stuff that as good or even better than some top HO models - and a relative bargain.

I know there is "scale jealousy" sometimes, but this puts it into perspective.

Power Stroke

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 12:59:55 AM »
It's funny - I remember when the Atlas GP7 was the first engine to break the $100 barrier and everyone thought the hobby would crash.

Prices go up, but we adjust and survive.

Yeah, I don't buy anything new. For instance, I have never paid more than $50.00 for a locomotive, and that was a pristine Arnold GG1. I have purchased brand new Atlas Guilford SD26 and GP40s for less than $25.00. You just need to be patient, and not keep up with the Jonses.

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 03:38:10 AM »
There are plenty of models that even in kit form are more expensive than the prices I'm seeing here.
Regards
Tony A

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »
 :) I believe model railroading is still a bargain compared to hobbies such a golf, hunting and fishing or boating.
Most of these are seasonal, but rring is 24/7 year round.
 ;)

jdcolombo

• Crew
  • Respect: +925
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
:) I believe model railroading is still a bargain compared to hobbies such a golf, hunting and fishing or boating.
Most of these are seasonal, but rring is 24/7 year round.
 ;)

Plus, though you may spend a lot on model railroading, you end up with a lot of stuff to show for it.  Some serious golfers spend $1000 or more for a single club.  For $1000, I could get the entire FVM NS Heritage GEVO fleet.  And I don't have to go to a golf course to use 'em - just pop down to my basement.

John C.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »
I have seen a lot of friends dump a ton of money into hobbies such as golf and their game does not get any better.  Or they get frustrated with a part of their game and it runs the whole day at the course for them.  Nice thing with MR is that there are so many aspects of the hobby that you can always find something to do to keep you involved.  Work on the layout, scenery, decals, custom painting, running operations, it just goes on and on.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 02:23:28 PM »
Naturally,
thats why I'm usually broke.  Railroading, home electronics, hunting and golf.  I should be able to qualify for a massive government bailout...
Support fine modeling

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1813
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2013, 02:59:27 PM »
I have seen a lot of friends dump a ton of money into hobbies such as golf and their game does not get any better.  Or they get frustrated with a part of their game and it runs the whole day at the course for them. 

To be fair, there are plenty of examples of model railroaders dumping a ton of money and having little to show for it.  How many of us have started a layout, only to get frustrated with its design and/or performance and basically walk away from it?  I don't mean to disparage MRR'ing at all, it's just that we're not immune to squandering.

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 03:15:31 PM »
Naturally,
thats why I'm usually broke.  Railroading, home electronics, hunting and golf.  I should be able to qualify for a massive government bailout...

If you where a bank also I`m sure you would

will agree MRRing is a great hobby and my favorite! if only I could keep to a budget....

Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

rslaserkits

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »
 sorry guys but prices keep going up and nothing we can do about it. I just order more micro Plywood and in the last two years it has gone from 12 a sheet to just under 20. Card stock that was $200 for 100 sheets delivered 2 years ago is now 12.95 a sheet my cost. I can go on but that is the way it is these days the big companies sales are down so the up prices to keep profits up and make the stock owners happy. That is all that matters anymore.
rich

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 09:28:05 PM »
To be fair, there are plenty of examples of model railroaders dumping a ton of money and having little to show for it.  How many of us have started a layout, only to get frustrated with its design and/or performance and basically walk away from it?  I don't mean to disparage MRR'ing at all, it's just that we're not immune to squandering.

Or all the money spent on rolling stock that can't fit on your layout!!!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 07:38:25 AM »
If you where a bank also I`m sure you would

will agree MRRing is a great hobby and my favorite! if only I could keep to a budget....

I know from experience that "Too big to fail"  just doesn't apply to model railroads!