Author Topic: Coating Printed Decals  (Read 1121 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +153
Coating Printed Decals
« on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
I do a fair amount of my own decals on an inkjet printer.  I've generally been pleased with the results.  I have been using Micro Scale Liquid Decal Film to coat the decals after printing and prior to applying them.  I learned today that Canadian hobby shops will no longer be able to get this stuff because Micro Scale is not allowed to to ship it here anymore.  Shipment of this, along with a host of other liquids, has been halted by the federal government, likely due to the terrorism paranoia.  I need to find another product, that's available here, to coat the printed decals.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Doug

PAL_Houston

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
Re: Coating Printed Decals
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:11 PM »
Smuggle some across the border with North Dakota?
Regards,
Paul

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4594
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 10:03:25 PM »
Smuggle some across the border with North Dakota?

Funny that you mentioned that.  Just recently, someone I know had a batch of Tamiya clear lacquer spray "smuggled" from Canada to USA.  That stuff is no longer available in US and it is his favorite clear coat.

Just to make it clear, I'm not recommending Tamiya clear lacquer for protecting ink jet printed decals. Sorry for going on a tangent.  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2035
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 06:58:13 AM »
I've used the Testors Decal Bonder rattle can, but you have to be careful with inkjet inks and print stuff on the 'photo' settings.   It takes about 3 really light coats and then a heavier one to make it work right, and it has to thoroughly dry between coats.  But I've had pretty good results, the real trick is getting the right paper.  I've had resolution problems with lasers and scratch-off problems equal to the dissolving ink issues with inkjets.   

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +174
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 07:19:15 AM »
Krylon Gloss...never any runs, drips, or errors... sorry, old 80's commercial.   :facepalm:

I've had great results with it and you get way more product for the price.

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

TiVoPrince

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
    • http://www.technologywrangler.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 07:55:10 AM »
Krylon Matte
gives a great contrast to the glossy surface when applying...
Support fine modeling

diezmon

• Crew
  • Do they speak English in "What"?
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »
I've always used Future floor gloss.. I just brush it on, or apply with a q-tip. 

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »
MicroScale Industries, Inc. also offers a Micro Flat coating for decal finishing.
As a toxicologist, I do not think it would be restricted for cross border sale, however having said that
I admit that geopolitical regulations are often not based on fact or reason.  ;)