Author Topic: How to Spray Acrylics.  (Read 2560 times)

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
How to Spray Acrylics.
« on: May 07, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »
This is the best single source I know of for learning the ins and outs of acrylic painting.

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?77908-How-to-paint-a-CB-amp-Q-GP30-in-N-scale

There's a 'step-by-step' version, but I haven't read it to see if it's exactly the same.

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/entry.php?340-Modeling-CB-amp-Q-GP30-974-step-by-step

It also covers decalling.

Jason

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
Re: How to Spray Acrylics.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »
Good call.  Jim's writing is really plain, and he seems to be a very encouraging fellow - at least in the digital world.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 11:43:37 PM »
That thread taught me how paint with acrylics. I use the techniques learned from that to try to help customers at the shop. There are a lot of "old school" modelers that won't use anything but solvent based paints. They think acrylics are heavy, thick and hide details. When they see what can be done, a few have changed their tune.
Tony Hines

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 07:28:46 AM »
None of the Polyscale thinners are available via Walthers.   The material referenced now doesn't appear to exist.  It's going to have to be common material or a more readily available material than through model railroad supply sources.

Years ago I thinned with a mix of alcohol and water with mixed results.

So I'm curious what the material of choice is now for thinning Polyscale.   Badger is kind of nice because it is 'out of the bottle' but that's the exception here.   

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »
The Polyscale thinner is still available. Testors just condensed the product line and has one part number for acrylic thinner instead of a part # for each brand line. They used to have it bottled up under each line, Floquil, Model Master, Aztec, Etc..... It was a pain trying to explain to customers that they were all the same product.

New Universal Acrylic Thinner - http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/704-50496
Same thing under the Polly Scale name no longer available. - http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/270-50496

As far as what I use for thinner.....

Denatured Alchohol and Water. I keep a base thinner which is 50/50 mix of water an denatured. If I want the paint to flash faster, I add more Alchohol. If I want to slow the drying time, I use a mix with more water and less Alchohol.

Another common thinner is basic winshield washer fluid. It works very well, readily available and inexpensive.

Tony Hines

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 09:56:20 AM »
None of the Polyscale thinners are available via Walthers. 

I use distilled water.  Never use tap water.

Jason

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 10:06:35 AM »
One thing I don't think is in the article is using Future Floor Finish as a gloss coat.  I highly recommend it, but it does take a little extra practice to keep it from running. Lots of light coats.

It's provide a good surface for decaling and IMO, a good surface to try and hide decal lines with the use of Micro Sol/Set or Solveset.

Another thing not in there is spraying dull coat.  If you've never tried air brushing it from the bottle, it's much better than spraying it from the can.  I've never really liked any of the acrylic flats.

Jason

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 10:10:15 AM »
Jason,
I'm with you on the Dullcoat thing - it really is the best flat finish out there. That said, I think the keys to Rattle Can Dullcoat success - which I have had - are a well shaken can (including between coats) good warm but not humid air, and distance to the model.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:26:57 AM »
Personally never had any issues using tap water but our local water is pretty good.

I've also had better luck with rattle can dull coat than airbrushing it. Airbrush dull coat always ends up milky, no matter what the brand. As Phillip mentioned, heat the can in warm water and shake well before spraying.

I also stumbled across a nice weathering technique after using dull cote, mist/rain alchohol over the model to create very nice rain stains. It works best on bridges and structures.

Tony Hines

engineshop

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
    • http://www.engineshop.org
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:59:18 AM »
I use bottled water with Pollly Scale, just because I am lazy to search for something else and I store bottles in my garage. I never had problems if I strain the paint with ordinary paint strainer cloth.
Over the years, I learnt that the airbrush gun is more important than anything else. Get the most expensive gun you can afford because you don't want to race in Indy with a Prius.
My painting skills improved every time dramatically after I upgraded my gun.

For great paint results, take this comment from Jim very seriously: "Hold the brush 3 inches away from the model and move at a smooth steady pace." Not 4, not 5 and definitely not 6 inches away.
Closer gets even better results, especially with white and yellow.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 11:15:08 AM »

For great paint results, take this comment from Jim very seriously: "Hold the brush 3 inches away from the model and move at a smooth steady pace." Not 4, not 5 and definitely not 6 inches away.

That's going to depend on the rest of what you're using.  If you have the exact brush/needle size, paint mix and air supply as Jim, then you should spray exactly the same distance as him as well.

With my Paasche VL's largest needle and paint thinned to milk consistency, I can spay 6" without issue and with good coverage.  I can also drop a needle size and spray closer or keep the big needle and just dial back the paint 'action'.  If I tried spraying at 2" with the large needle, I'd get pooling of the paint.

It's a balance that has to be found.

Jason

fredmoehrle

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »
I use distilled water.  Never use tap water.

Jason

Same here, bought by the gallon at the groceries store.
(Man, that was a battle with the wife! :scared:)

For rattle cans, and all paint for that matter, good temp and low humidity are key.
A friend taught me the best temp for rattle cans is body temperature.  Works great.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 04:01:05 PM »
Here's the problem I was referring to about the thinner:

"A scale, $7.80, not currently in stock at Walthers, Expected: Unknown"

I'm 60 miles away from anything that passes as a train store, so if I can't order it I have to find an alternative product.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »

I'm 60 miles away from anything that passes as a train store, so if I can't order it I have to find an alternative product.

There's already been some mentioned.

Along with Distilled water, I use Future Floor Shine.

Others mentioned Denatured Alcohol and Windex.

Jason

SkipGear

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 05:41:12 PM »
Here's the problem I was referring to about the thinner:

"A scale, $7.80, not currently in stock at Walthers, Expected: Unknown"

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHK51&P=7

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/detail-thinner-4oz-TES50496

In stock at both. Never bought it myself though, always use water an alcohol.
Tony Hines