Author Topic: Atlas announces 3rd release of 40' PS-1, with 8' doors  (Read 11211 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4210
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Atlas announces 3rd release of 40' PS-1, with 8' doors
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »
They're close.  For a fully-accurate model - whether you etch new sides or make them out of styrene to fit around the side details that are a match to the X26C, that's a big job.  And the standard Atlas 5-5-5 ends are different above the top ribs, so they can't be used as-is after salvaging them from an undec if you want a fully-accurate model.

I have one of each scheme.  I might update the grab irons to ladders eventually to make them closer to prototype.  But it's not my primary road either, so I do understand your desire to have a more accurate model.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1128
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2013, 11:31:16 AM »
They're close.

Except for the roof, door, ends, sides, height and width.

Jason
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:35:15 AM by wcfn100 »

skm

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2013, 05:46:12 PM »
They're close.  For a fully-accurate model - whether you etch new sides or make them out of styrene to fit around the side details that are a match to the X26C, that's a big job.  And the standard Atlas 5-5-5 ends are different above the top ribs, so they can't be used as-is after salvaging them from an undec if you want a fully-accurate model.

I have one of each scheme.  I might update the grab irons to ladders eventually to make them closer to prototype.  But it's not my primary road either, so I do understand your desire to have a more accurate model.

I was planning on using the intermountain 10' 6" interior height body and making ends to suit (correct rectangular panel roof too!) and scratchbuilding the sills. The PRR built an entirely new body that matches the 1937 (?) AAR standard in interior height and width and set it on the old underframes. For some inexplicable reason they reused the 5-5-5 corrugated ends and riveted flat steel around them to suit the increased height and width. You can see how the new body overhangs the original underframe in the pic. This one has a Superior door, but most pics show a pre-war Youngstown door (both 7' and I'll be using some of the spare doors that came with my undec PS1s!) The side panels won't line up perfectly, but until I learn to photoetch, WTH. FWIW, the PRR did a similar rebuild of thousands of X29s into X29b and X29d using a similar approach.
Could be an interesting project for you Bryan, with all that spare time you have.  :facepalm:

Any way, enuff hijacking of this thread!  :P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:22:45 AM by skm »
Cheers,
Scott

brill27mcb

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2013, 06:26:03 PM »
I'm happy this thread keeps popping back up!  :D

Bryan, that pic you posted is of an Atlas or MTL car?
I have two of the newer Atlas single-sheath boxcars and they came with Atlas Andrews trucks, I don't recall (doesn't mean I didn't!) having to grind away at the underframe, but I body-mounted MTZ 905 couplers. The Atlas car is closer to the PRR X26 series of cars, in comparison to the MTL car. I did change out the wooden doors for Youngstown doors, part #417009, which are a perfect fit and match a few pics I found of the X26 in service, 1950s.

Can you spell out for us how the Atlas single-sheath boxcar is closer to a PRR X26 than the MTL version? I'm interested and curious...

Rich K. (modeling Circle Keystone pre-WW2)
Tomix / EasyTrolley Modelers' Website
www.trainweb.org/tomix
N-Gauge Model Trolleys and Their History
www.trainweb.org/n-trolleys

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +141
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2013, 06:28:43 PM »
+1
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

skm

• Crew
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »
Can you spell out for us how the Atlas single-sheath boxcar is closer to a PRR X26 than the MTL version? I'm interested and curious...

Rich K. (modeling Circle Keystone pre-WW2)

Ouch!  :D
IIRC the differences are small.
The MTL version has too many roof panels, the top door track only extends in the direction of door opening, rather than both directions (not sure I'm explaining that correctly!), it has a horizontal brakewheel and the body is a tad too tall and sits too high on its trucks. They both have the correct 5-5-5 ends, with both having notches at the end sill to accommodate coupler clearance.
I remember getting both and really looking at the mold cutting under magnification, just to see how the finer details (wood paneling) were rendered (yes OCD!) They are both really good, with the MTL car edging out the Atlas by just a smidge, IMO. The brakewheel on the Atlas car is pretty crude, but easy to change out, the roofwalk is also pretty thick.

If just one was available, it would not have mattered to me, but I had a choice and went with the Atlas. In my modeling period (1956) the PRR only rostered 31 X26, so having the 2 that Atlas issued is probably already overkill, although I seem to remember that Atlas issued a yellow MOW version at some point also?

Rob's PRR site is the best source of info on PRR equipment, I use it constantly! :D
Cheers,
Scott

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4210
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2013, 08:44:51 PM »
The Atlas car also has better graphics and the correct Youngstown steel door.  And yes, Atlas did release a PRR yellow MOW version.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

skm

• Crew
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2013, 02:11:14 PM »
So, the 2nd release of the 7' door versions is supposed to be in May.... so anyone got some yet?
I expect to buy 4 cars from this release, to join the 6 cars I have from the 1st release. Nice!

I'm missing out on the 1st release of the 8' versions as they are all 60's cars except for the Pacemaker, which I will pick up.
There are going to be a LOT of PS1s on my roster, I can feel it!

BTW: looking to see 100 posts in this thread, at least!
Cheers,
Scott

brill27mcb

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2013, 04:48:31 PM »
Ouch!  :D
IIRC the differences are small.
The MTL version has too many roof panels, the top door track only extends in the direction of door opening, rather than both directions (not sure I'm explaining that correctly!), it has a horizontal brakewheel and the body is a tad too tall and sits too high on its trucks. They both have the correct 5-5-5 ends, with both having notches at the end sill to accommodate coupler clearance.
I remember getting both and really looking at the mold cutting under magnification, just to see how the finer details (wood paneling) were rendered (yes OCD!) They are both really good, with the MTL car edging out the Atlas by just a smidge, IMO. The brakewheel on the Atlas car is pretty crude, but easy to change out, the roofwalk is also pretty thick.

If just one was available, it would not have mattered to me, but I had a choice and went with the Atlas. In my modeling period (1956) the PRR only rostered 31 X26, so having the 2 that Atlas issued is probably already overkill, although I seem to remember that Atlas issued a yellow MOW version at some point also?

Rob's PRR site is the best source of info on PRR equipment, I use it constantly! :D

Thanks! I would not have spotted all of those differences on my own. The Atlas stirrup steps seem a little stubby (vertically) to me, but that just may be me...

Rich K.
Tomix / EasyTrolley Modelers' Website
www.trainweb.org/tomix
N-Gauge Model Trolleys and Their History
www.trainweb.org/n-trolleys

skm

• Crew
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2013, 12:18:10 AM »
Thanks! I would not have spotted all of those differences on my own. The Atlas stirrup steps seem a little stubby (vertically) to me, but that just may be me...

Rich K.

I think you're right....The Atlas stirrups are a little 'chunky', I haven't bothered to swap mine out yet either!
Cheers,
Scott