Author Topic: Hubba Hubba  (Read 1685 times)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +686
    • Layout Progress Blog
Hubba Hubba
« on: May 02, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »

Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +4
Re: Hubba Hubba
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:02:50 PM »
Regards
Tony A

railnerd

• Crew
  • Respect: +175
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:51:38 PM »
Now I have to learn Dutch....

More likely Flemish, which is close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish

-Dave

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +888
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
Museum quality!

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +262
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
More likely Flemish, which is close.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flemish

-Dave

Just different dialects in the same language.  Like Australian and Mississippian.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +2809
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 10:29:04 PM »
Nice but the people don't move.  And the barber poles aren't spinning (DKS can do that even in N scale) :trollface:

Judging by the same trains and cars reappearing over and over I assume this is a diorama rather than a layout.  I think that it would look even more realistic if the trains were moving slightly slower.  Same goes for the cars.  I suppose that this coudl have been done by slowing the video a bit.

I also seen several cars with their hazard lights on. Assuming that the diorama is set in the 40s or 50s, hazard lights (4-way flashers) were not get introduced until much later.  However, it might been a glitch in the model's flasher circuit.

Seriously though, this is an amazing piece of modeling. Not only the animation but the overall weathering makes this scene look very realistic.  Reminds me of the Miniatur Wunderland.  Too bad we can't do this in N scale (yet)   ;)
. . . 42 . . .

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »
There are some German modelers who have made N scale vehicles with working lights (head,tail,brake,turn) They are also radio controlled.

I don't have any names but I know they have or had videos on you tube demonstrating the vehicles. The one thing that fascinated me was the steerable front wheels that had to be some real micro engineering.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:37:55 PM »
There are some German modelers who have made N scale vehicles with working lights (head,tail,brake,turn) They are also radio controlled.

I don't have any names but I know they have or had videos on you tube demonstrating the vehicles. The one thing that fascinated me was the steerable front wheels that had to be some real micro engineering.

I can see this being feasible in N scale trucks and buses, but if those were passenger cars then I would really be amazed! How small would a battery be and how long would it last?
. . . 42 . . .

mirage

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »

I don't know if you meant this guys http://www.dieterludwig.de/index.html but they have some modified n-scale bus models running on their layout.
"reality distortion field"

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +97
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
Judging by the same trains and cars reappearing over and over I assume this is a diorama rather than a layout.  I think that it would look even more realistic if the trains were moving slightly slower.  Same goes for the cars.  I suppose that this coudl have been done by slowing the video a bit.

Getting model trains at the right speed for video is one of the tougher things to do.  What looks slow, and is slow, to the naked eye observing is usually too fast for film.  You almost have to make the trains crawl to get them to look right. 

Either way, it's pretty impressive.  It looks like the cars were done with stop motion in some spots. 

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Dead Man Modeling
  • Respect: +3750
    • David's Modeling Journey
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »
I can see this being feasible in N scale trucks and buses, but if those were passenger cars then I would really be amazed! How small would a battery be and how long would it last?

“Everyone leaves unfinished business. That's what dying is.” —Amos, The Expanse

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 05:55:47 AM »
Ok, I'm speechless.

I found details about that N scale model. That really is of DKS's caliber!  They seem to use memory wire for steering and a 10mAh LiPo cell for power.  I also like the design of the gearbox for driving the rear wheels. That is just absolutely incredible!

http://www.mzr-online.com/hobby/NPKW.htm
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:22:46 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .