Author Topic: Curved turnouts  (Read 1940 times)

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
Curved turnouts
« on: April 28, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »
Can anyone comment on how the Atlas C55 curved turnouts handle long modern cars, especially through the diverging route? Atlas says the radii are 21/15. Does that mean that these turnouts should not be used in applications where mainline or passing sidings will use the diverging route if I want to maintain an 18 inch minimum radius on my mains?

The Peco curved turnout is 36/18 in dimensions I believe. I have used those before with no issues, but want to use more prototypical looking turnouts without scratchbuilding them.
Peter Pfotenhauer

mark.hinds

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
Re: Curved turnouts
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 02:54:15 PM »
Can anyone comment on how the Atlas C55 curved turnouts handle long modern cars, especially through the diverging route? Atlas says the radii are 21/15. Does that mean that these turnouts should not be used in applications where mainline or passing sidings will use the diverging route if I want to maintain an 18 inch minimum radius on my mains?

The Peco curved turnout is 36/18 in dimensions I believe. I have used those before with no issues, but want to use more prototypical looking turnouts without scratchbuilding them.

I have had success in modifying the shapes of the old Shinohara code 70 turnouts.  I cut the web connections between the ties (only as needed), and bend them to new radii.  Perhaps this would work with Atlas?

MH
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:00:18 PM by mark.hinds »

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 03:56:17 PM »
Mark, I use that trick with Peco turnouts too. Works nicely for minor adjustments to get a better flow of trackwork, but I am not sure it would allow totally curving a straight turnout.

It would be nice to have a curved stock turnout with 24/18 radius legs. :? :D
Peter Pfotenhauer

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 09:45:45 PM »
I have one on my layout.  They are 21/15.  HOWEVER, I have some long steam that cannot make curves sharper than an 18" radius, and they will all go through the sharper diverging route of this thing.   The turnout diverging route doesn't really
follow a continuous 15" radius curve.  There are parts of it that are straight, and the actual piece of curving track
that the train has to make it over is only a few inches.

Strictly speaking, yes, if you want to maintain a strict 18" minimum, you shouldn't use the diverging route of this turnout,
but I don't have any problems and I also want an 18" minimum.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5515
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 03:05:17 AM »
Just make a template for the inside rail of a 18" curve and force the turnout to follow it while gluing it in place.

Skeebo

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
     A few years ago I pulled up all the Peco 55 track on my layout as steam hated that brand and re-laid with the much better looking and working Atlas 55. In a couple area's I was able to adjust track configuration and replace the Peco curved turnouts with straight but in a few area's I was not and used the Atlas. Like the Atlas #5 straight turnouts, I do NOT recommend them, my 89 ft auto racks and piggy backs do not like the diverging route. I run very long trains and my best advice to you is: don't use them on the mainline or in hidden area's. Off the main in tight switching areas they're OK. Atlas should have worked on these componants a bit more before releasing them to the public.

Jim Semikoski

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 02:33:08 PM »
Is super elevating a curved turnout a bad decision?
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
Superelevating a turnout is a bad idea generally. Doing so biases the forces toward the inside rail, which then causes flanges to pick at the points and frog.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 03:46:28 PM »
I've superelevated a few turnouts without issue.  Here's my most severe example, a custom curved turnout built by Chris333, with 10" and 8" radii.  The outer track is superelevated.  Worked like a champ.

On my current layout, I have an Atlas #5 that is superelevated and it works fine, too.  It's the turnout at bottom left in the following picture.  You can see the blue masking tape used to raise the outer rail.  At this point, there is six layers of tape under the outer rail:

The key is to not make any abrupt changes.  If the track flows, you should have no problems.  I am a big proponent of superelevation and think you should at least try.  Worst case scenario, you remove the superelevation and relay the track.  That's no biggie.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
The only issue I have had with the Atlas code 55 curved turnouts was with Red Caboose centerbeams, when backing long trains through.  The truck mounted couplers would push the wheels to the wrong side of the frog if backing through the diverging route.  Body mounting the couplers and keeping the centerbeams toward the back of 25+ car trains took care of the problem.

Eric