Author Topic: N scale front loader?  (Read 11156 times)

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +493
N scale front loader?
« on: April 26, 2013, 04:16:52 PM »
I'm planning a small layout based on the Hoosier Southern's Tell City, IN, end. The port of Tell City is used by a foundary to move raw materials from brge to their plant, and a front loader is used for the pig iron. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for a loader similar to the one in the picture in the link? I know GHQ made a bobcat, and that will work in a pinch if I must, but I'd prefer something more like the front end loader below.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1728901
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
Re: N scale front loader?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 04:33:28 PM »
GHQ also made a great front end loader, but that is out of production.  They make an articulated log loader using the exact same body and chassis that just needs a simple scratched bucket.  This is still available in a number of online shops.

Here's one example:  http://www.ashlintrains.com/servlet/the-124/Log-Loader-GHQ-NScale/Detail

Walmart also sells some CAT front end loaders made by Norscott, for $1.97, if you can find them.  I think they are out of scale though.  With a little work they might be a decent stand in until something better comes along.
One very over-priced random example from the bay ( I have no connection to this whatsoever): http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CAT-906-Front-end-Loader-Construction-Minis-die-cast-Norscot-N-1-160-scale-/221184092846

Eric
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 04:45:17 PM by Pomperaugrr »

packers#1

• Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:21:52 PM »
I've seen the log loader and it's in stock where I'll be ordering from, thanks.
Sawyer Berry

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »
If you could find a set titled Hot Wheels Micro Planet Cat Machines Series 2, there is a front end loader in that set.  Works well for N Scale

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »
I'm planning a small layout based on the Hoosier Southern's Tell City, IN, end. The port of Tell City is used by a foundary to move raw materials from brge to their plant, and a front loader is used for the pig iron. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for a loader similar to the one in the picture in the link? I know GHQ made a bobcat, and that will work in a pinch if I must, but I'd prefer something more like the front end loader below.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1728901

This 1/150 scale Maruka Kawasaki wheel loader looks about right for your purposes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maruka-Hyper-Construction-Vol-1-Wheel-Loader-White-1-150-N-Scale-/330903649222?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4d0b64fbc6

I have a few different wheel loaders in N-scale and close to N-scale (1/150) including the GHQ loader. My favorite is still this Universal Hobbies keyring Komatsu WA470 model:
http://www.universalhobbies.net/keyring/construction-keyring/produit-komatsu-wa470-blister-3166-10162.html
All you have to do is cut off the keyring and loop and you got a nice little diecast loader.
James R. Will

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:48:11 PM »
+1
I have been trying to convince Dave that a Michigan wheel loader would be a great addition to his NZT line:

Yep, that Universal Hobbies Komatsu is killer. It scales within inches of true N scale:

On the left is the old Hotwheels Cat loader, followed by the Universal Hobbies Komatsu and finally the MZZ wheel loader:

Personally, the UH Komatsu is heads and shoulders above the Hot Wheels and even the "scale model" MZZ.

Ferrero (the Tic-Tac people) make small toys to go with chocolate egg candy. I rebuilt a New Holland toy into a passable W190 loader. I built a new bucket, boom and hydraulics from styrene, rebuilt the cab and added wire details. I still need to add proper wheels.

If you want something older, you can rebuild the Bachmann wheel loader into a Cat 944:

This conversion took a lot of work around the cab. I used wheels from an Athearn Ford panel van, though there may be better options out there now.

As mentioned by Jim, Maruka made a Kawasaki loader that was imported to the US. Fujimoto, another Japanese toy company made a much better model of a medium duty Hitachi ZW150 that would look at home anywhere.

And finally, Ertl makes a smallish John Deere wheel loader keychain. The toy scales out very well - within a few inches of N scale. Unfortunately, the lift arms, bucket and hydraulics are very basic and distract from the generally good proportions. One wishes Ertl could have learned a thing or two from the vastly superior Universal Hobbies Komatsu.

Ertl also made a Cat wheel loader around the same time the GHQ model came out. It certainly looks better than the Hot Wheels toy, but not really up to modeler's standards. Again, issues with the lift arm distract from the overall model.

And thus ends the long and sorted history of the N scale wheel loader.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

packers#1

• Crew
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:59:50 AM »
thanks for the leads, the keychain looks very promising.
Daniel, I could DEFINITELY use at least one if DKS made one of those; probably two, so one could work as a car puller at a grain elevator
Sawyer Berry

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 09:59:30 PM »
The construction zone variety of a front-loader is cute, but I'd like to see something heftier close to the trains, like at an aggregate or mine facility; maybe a 1960s Eaton Yale & Towne Trojan.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

jpwisc

• Crew
  • Respect: +1935
    • Skally Line Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »
+2
A big thanks for an old thread. I was not finding a viable wheel loader for my sand plant.
@daniel_leavitt2000 was spot on with the Komatsu keychain. I still need to finish weathering it, but it’s on the layout.

Karl
CEO of the WC White Pine Sub, an Upper Peninsula Branch Line.

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +473
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 07:09:44 AM »
A big thanks for an old thread. I was not finding a viable wheel loader for my sand plant.
@daniel_leavitt2000 was spot on with the Komatsu keychain. I still need to finish weathering it, but it’s on the layout.

Yes, thanks for bringing this up. I will need some kind of loader for the steel mill scrap pile.
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1530
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »
Mill's Fleet Farm often has them (For the midwestern folk) as well as IH and JD farm equipment.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 01:52:46 PM »
I have a few different wheel loaders in N-scale and close to N-scale (1/150) including the GHQ loader. My favorite is still this Universal Hobbies keyring Komatsu WA470 model:
http://www.universalhobbies.net/keyring/construction-keyring/produit-komatsu-wa470-blister-3166-10162.html

"This domain name may be for sale. Please click here to inquire."

PeyRil

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 02:51:22 PM »

bnsfdash8

• Crew
  • Respect: +1306
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 03:58:52 PM »
Anyone know how their excavator scales out? It doesn't look half bad.

Reese
Modeling Norfolk Southern one loco at a time.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 05:08:25 PM »
Also 1/160

I have a few myself.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing