Author Topic: A Surprise (to me) - Walthers Reissuing DL109  (Read 13390 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
A Surprise (to me) - Walthers Reissuing DL109
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »
Browsing my usual online shops discovered the Walthers DL109 rerun due for delivery next week. Not that I'm a fan of the 109 - distinctive, but homely - just interesting that this reissue appeared to happen mostly under the radar. Or, at least, I never noticed mention of it.

Bob Bufkin

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
Re: A Surprise (to me) - Walthers Reissuing DL109
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:48:35 PM »
I get mail from them and they mentioned the re-release a couple months ago.  Don't have any use for them but if you are a NH, Southern fan, they are worth getting.  Believe the AT&SF had a couple also.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1766
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »
These are gorgeous locos.  I model CSX, but I almost want one.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 12:56:59 PM »
On Brooklyn's site: Details still pending are type of couplers used and DCC information. BLW will post as soon as recd.

My guess is Rapidos and labelled as "DCC Friendly".
Bob

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5409
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »
What a complete waste of zinc and styrene.  Those dogs are butt ugly, served a handful of railroads for only a handful of years, and serve no useful purpose outside of transition era esoterica.

Walther's is clearly aiming for another release that they can point to and say "See?  No one buys N Scale."

They should be beaten with sticks.

Lee

Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

mplsjct

• Crew
  • Respect: +391
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »
I think the Erie Builts would've been a better choice, or the FAs.

At least Walthers is giving us something.
I’m not here to argue

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 01:34:14 PM »
Walther's is clearly aiming for another release that they can point to and say "See?  No one buys N Scale."

I didn't want to say that, but I was surely thinking it. If you are absolutely compelled to produce weird narrow-niche Alcos that nobody is gonna buy, then do me a favor and do the C855s. Or maybe RS27s. But noooooooooo...

Adding insult is the DL10x doesn't even make decent kitbash fodder for anything. It's just sorta there.

Bob, Santa Fe had an A-B pair, and that's it. Granted, the A is striking in War Bonnet. The New Haven was the only road who bought more than one or two. Talk about an orphan model.

+1 on Erie Builts.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7024
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 01:42:11 PM »

+1

I think the Erie Builts would've been a better choice...

+2

Has Walthers even seen what the Erie Builts go for on the Bay? And the DL109s are a dime a dozen. I really think they are asleep at the wheel.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 03:00:18 PM »
The Rock Island lasted a long time!!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »
May have pick one up from one source or another for kitbash fodder.  I'd like a model of the CRIP's Christine (a modded DL107).
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

kalbert

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
Has Walthers even seen what the Erie Builts go for on the Bay? And the DL109s are a dime a dozen. I really think they are asleep at the wheel.

Assuming there's even anyone at the wheel to fall asleep...  :D

Loren Perry

• Crew
  • Respect: +79
Wish I had them a few months ago!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 03:23:17 PM »
The DL-109's always appealed to me because of their 1930's Buck Rogers-type styling. I recently submitted a two-part article to N-Scale magazine on building an accurate set of Santa Fe DL-109's (ATSF Engine 50) using Con-Cor models. I used two A-unit shells to build a single B unit (only four B-units were made by Alco and no manufacturer outside of brass makers have ever issued a B unit.) I powered both units to smooth out their performance. The Life-Like/Walthers units weren't available at the time, but the Con-Cor models were, so I used them and they turned out fine. Just no flywheels.

PGE-N°2

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 03:51:44 PM »
I think the Erie Builts would've been a better choice, or the FAs.

At least Walthers is giving us something.

These are gorgeous locos.  I model CSX, but I almost want one.

Wow... Some of us are rather jaded by Walthers at this point. I would want to try and agree and believe in the hope that they are at least giving us something, and maybe it is a gesture of goodwill in lieu of things to come.

I agree that Erie Builts and FAs may be a better choice, but I actualy hope that they don't do Erie Builts, now, after the ridiculous amounts I have spent lately getting two sets of Milwaukee Road builts. That was before I realized I could have acquired some V-line shells and made my own.

As for the CSX fan, you could always get one and paint it for a CSX heritage scheme (or maybe Southern...).
Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-face/sets/72157603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »
Why in the name of would they not re-run the Erie Builts again. New numbers and all. I want another two ABBA sets if I could get them
Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +127
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:08 PM »

OR, they're counting on that vast majority of model railroaders that DON'T model anything with any type of theme or specific era to it and just collect stuff that's "neat".