Author Topic: TCS decoders "forgetting"  (Read 2651 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
TCS decoders "forgetting"
« on: April 25, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »
I have been using TCS decoders for many years now and have only recently run into this issue. I had 6 locomotives that I installed decoders in back in November. Ran them on the layout during a show the first week of November, and then they were packed away until I used them back on the first week of April for a show.

Every single one would not respond, and would only light up the headlight. Tried issuing new address commands and resetting to 03 and NADA.

I was using JMRI (but was re-programing others fine Digitrax/NCE/Lenz) but will have to try direct through the throttle now that I have got it back from Digitrax. But, has anyone else experienced TCS forgetting everything, and then not responding to anything?
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2288
Re: TCS decoders "forgetting"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 07:25:46 PM »
Odd. No problems here. I have TCS in most of my train show fleet, and some stuff could be 18 months between runs.

Possibility of a static hit? Really really really close ( :scared: ) lightning strike?

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4613
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:32:09 AM »
Ian:

Did you try running the loco using a DC power pack?  Or in a pinch, take a 9V battery and touch it to the loco's wheels.  Assuming that you didn't disable the Analog Mode Operation in CV29, the loco should run on DC.  If it runs, then there is a pretty good chance that all the electronic components are ok.  That is because the analog operation uses all the same components (including the microcontroller) as DCC operation would for running the motor.

You vaguely mentioned the headlight.   Do you actually have control of it (which would indicate that the loco responds to DCC packets sent to its address) or does the headlight come on as soon as it is placed on the DCC -powered track?

Did you try reading any of the CV values?  Can they be read and do they seem to have correct values in them?  Instead of using JMRI, try programming it (both reading and writing CVs) directly using your DCC command station (on the programming track).

. . . 42 . . .

Dupesy

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:29:47 AM »
his headlights came on as soon as the engine was placed on the rails, and could not be controlled.
dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die

mmyers

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 06:13:02 AM »
Were they in consist the last trime they were running?  Maybe CV19 has a value other then 00. Perhaps a consist set up on an NCE system?

Martin Myers

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 08:25:28 AM »
Ian,

John Newick had this same issue with their CN decoders. When ever his layout would have a static hit or  short in the same power district his locos would drop all memory. He has since gotten rid of all with the exception of one that is still working. I have some of my geeps with their decoders and haven't had any issues. Just on a whim we have had one of my units on his layout now for over a year and it is doing just fine.  :?

Jon

RAILCAT

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 04:34:27 AM »
Make sure you have a reliable connection from the decoder to the
motor. After a while not being used the contacts can tarnish.
As the lights are working it would seem the decoder Ok.

jagged ben

• Crew
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 05:40:03 PM »
I have issues with CNs and CN-GPs forgetting that they are set to 4-digit addressing.  Shorts in the power district seem to contribuite.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
Some other stuff:
The headlights come on as soon as you put the locos on the track but you can not control the lights. 
I have not tried a 9v to them yet.
The motor tabs are soldered to the decoder so there is a continuous and good path.
They were not in a consist, and were used on a Digitrax system at the time of packing.
They will not respond to any reprogramming request from JMRI.
I can not read back CV's as I have a DB150.

I have the layout packed in the trailer still as I have a show in a week or so and house hunting has taken up so much of my time that getting it out from the last show was not in my schedule. I got my DT300 back from Digitrax last week (They must be swamped as it took almost 2 months) so I will be able to try and make programming commands right though the throttle.

It just seemed odd that 5 locos were working fine, were packed in their boxes and then remained there until the last show, and then did nothing. No issues with the Digitrax or NCE decoders that I have. This is the first time I have had such an issue with the TCS's.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 12:26:13 PM »
Ian,

Any chance you could bring them down my way to John's and take a look at them. I have a bunch of free time tomorrow.

Jon

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »
No, I will be working my PT shifts tomorrow.

Dupesy

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 10:23:04 AM »
Ian, were you ever able to reprogram those engines?
dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »
Yeah, must have been a JMRI issue as well.

At the Bartlett show they did not respond to a DT300, but were able to take an address reprogram from the DT300 and then they responded after that. Worked with the DT and JMRI the entire show.