Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/21/13  (Read 11032 times)

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
Re: Weekend Update 4/21/13
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »
Had big plans for the weekend, but it was the first time since October we had 70 degree weather in this part of Oregon, so I spent the daylight hours working the BLM trails with my Jeep.  Given the weather patterns around here, we will be socked in with rain and snow by next weekend and all will be right with the modeling gods  :D

Joe

Joe, you sure you're not in Wiesbaden with me?  It was mid 60's all week and then Saturday rolls around and my boy ended up playing baseball in 36 degree weather with light rain.  So much for Spring....  :facepalm:

I ended up finishing these on Sunday instead of hitting the driving range for the first time this year. 

Brian
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »
Brian, great job on the BNSF units.  :drool:
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +831
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »
Yes, nice job on those BNSF units!

Incidentally I tend to hit the driving range instead of the ball myself!  :facepalm:

James Costello

• Crew
  • Respect: +292
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
Brian - nice work on the BNSF units - what color paint did you find to match the BNSF cream/green?
James Costello
Espee into the 90's

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »
Love all the work!!!.

The other day I was looking at my yard,,thinking that the tracks are too close. I measured,,came out to be 7/8" on center. Too close!!!        I can't see the numbers on the cars to make up my patrols.

I had the same problem on my HO layout. I used the ends of the cars.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 09:22:16 PM »

Springtime in PA.  Now with trees.
Bob

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:43 PM »
Bob , is that a model or the real deal ? ( and that dear hearts is the highest complement one can receive if it's a model )

Richie Dost

Swing Motorman

• Respect: 0
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »
Wow, Bob, what a scene!  Sure looks Pennsylvanian to my Keystone State eyes.

Speaking of keystones, this is all I accomplished this weekend.  I tried a major junkbox-bash, which should have produced a detailed, sound-equipped B&O E7, but with a dead motor, it ended up as, well, junk...  but moving on now,

Got the handbrake wheel and new trucks on this car.  Once it joins a Red Caboose sister and two Fine N-Scale kit cars waiting for decals, I might just have enough express X-29s for my purposes.

-Steven

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 11:57:16 PM »
I have 30 of those cars in 3 different schemes and still need to replace trucks on all of them
Did you just do a simple truck swap?
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

bdennis

• Crew
  • Respect: +172
    • Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 12:16:02 AM »

Springtime in PA.  Now with trees.
Nice scene.. Now that has set the bar for my D&H layout.. Love ya work!.
Brendan.
Brendan Dennis
N scale - Delaware & Hudson Champlain Division

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 12:33:29 AM »
Brian - nice work on the BNSF units - what color paint did you find to match the BNSF cream/green?

What he asked, I've been trying to find a semi decent match to the Kato SD70MACs for my BN Business cars, one of these days I'll get somewhere on them

flight2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 02:44:38 AM »
Yes, nice job on those BNSF units!

Incidentally I tend to hit the driving range instead of the ball myself!  :facepalm:

My first time out every year, that's about what it amounts to...   :trollface:   :scared:

What he asked, I've been trying to find a semi decent match to the Kato SD70MACs for my BN Business cars, one of these days I'll get somewhere on them

Thanks gents, but you're not going to like the answer.  The paint was made by Badger in their Model Flex line and is a dead on match to the Kato units.  It was a special run they did a few years ago and for whatever reason they stopped making it.  I have one little jar of each color that I keep on hand for the BN/BNSF units I occasionally do.  I had two of each but gave a set to another Railwire member about 2 years ago.  I've had these bottles for 5 years myself and they have survived four moves across the globe. 

Oh and I used Polly Scale SOO Red to match the Santa Fe unit....  :?  Go figure.

Brian
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:50:12 AM by flight2000 »
I've never met a covered hopper I didn't like.... :)
My (HO) NW Ohio Layout Feed: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=57633.msg793742#msg793742

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 07:52:53 AM »
Robert, your roundhouse is looking GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spoke with Jason on the wall castings. Hope you have enough locos to fill her up, if not we will ahve to get Jason back on the noerthern castings!!!!!!!     Brian the BNSF locos look GREAT !!!!!!!!!! Gordon

PGE-N°2

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 12:34:30 PM »

Finally we had this month’s operating session last night.  It was ably Dispatched by Railwire’s Gary Hinshaw.  Things were going swimmingly, thanks largely to Gary’s thorough preparation, so the Superintendent decided to liven things up a bit and called a plow extra to plow over the pass.  That caused some excitement when the plow train engineer left his train moving while he signed the register at Castlegar.  The plow proceeded to run right into the Kraft switcher which was over-hanging the main but within yard limits.  All but first class trains need to proceed with the ability to stop within visual distance while within yard limits, even plow trains!  Oh the humanity!

You didn't happen to document the resulting chaos, did you? Or are the crash investigators still working on it? Sounds like someone needs a  few demerit marks in any case... Maybe the guy who called a surprise plow extra in the first place.

This is one more reason why prototype operations can be so satisfying. All the drama of real life railroading, including all the unforeseen hazards and unplanned mishaps.
Director of Operations of the Kettle River Railway

See photos of the original owner's layout here:
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/about-face/sets/72157603977732928/

It sounded like a good idea at the time... too bad the caboose wasn't in on the plan.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »

Getting closer...
Need to install couplers and weather!
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski