Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/21/13  (Read 11034 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +157
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Weekend Update 4/21/13
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
Nothing new here. The layout is still packed in the trailer from the show a few weeks ago and I am planning on keeping it in there until we find a new house. We have been searching for the last 2 months and it has been a nightmare. Competing with cash buyers is a pain in the a$$.

Hoping to find a new home to build the large AN again at least by summers end.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +345
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 03:11:08 PM »

Here is the other end,,, just need to figure the track plan for the engine facility.

I kind of feel naked,,, everyone else has scenery,, and I just have wood and homasote.

Adios, and keep up the great work!!!, Wyatt

Don't feel bad, I am in the same boat.  I am just about done with my round house and engine terminal.  Next will be to finish up and create my inside loop and tie it into the main lines.  Than to start scenery.  This layout for me is about mastering scenery.  This layout is as tempory as my living in the house is.  Next house will have a basement or room dedicated to just my layout (much closer to retirement age I expect).  At that point I will make my switch to Code 55 and DCC.  So since my time is limited now (3 kids, work and a wife) I am more concerned with being able to grow my collection, run when I can and use up all the track and cork and supplies I had from prior layouts.  That is the great thing about cork and homasote....you can pull up your track and us it multiple times if you have not ballasted the track.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

RWCJr

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 03:40:56 PM »
The rear wall castings from cast-master Superturbine (Jason) arrived Saturday. Cleaned up the edges so I could set them in place for a first look. Final cleanup, painting and applying window decals will make for an enjoyable week ahead. Robert

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1780
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
I got some more ground cover down near my depot, and finally breathed some life into it with figures, vehicles, fencing and some lighting.   Luckily, I saved all the detail parts and even some of the supporting structures in organized bags from
my previous PRR layout.   The tower to the left is a Tichy Train Group model from my previous PRR layout  that I repainted in NP colors.  The newsstand in the parking lot was a separate project that used to reside in an alley in my PRR 1950s city.   It was originally a Mountaineer Precision PRR passenger shelter that I kitbashed into the newsstand.   The depot itself was the only thing new that I built for this layout.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:31:25 AM by mmagliaro »

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 05:14:45 PM »
I'm slicing off woodland scenic foam roadbed off foam. I got some flat razors and coping saw blades to get most of it up.

What works well on dissolving that Tacky Glue? Alcohol?
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

JSL

• Crew
  • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
  • Respect: +4
    • In the Heart Of BNSF Country
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 05:47:41 PM »
Looks great Max, Soo and everyone else. Nothing too exciting here except snow and building the second level of the layout.

jnevis

• Crew
  • WP Lives
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »
Only "work related" modelling this weekend.  Built up a few CinC armor kits I've had sitting around forever. Pics when I'm further along.
Can't model worth a darn, but can research like an SOB.

BCRail_FSJ

• Crew
  • Respect: +520
    • Trying to model the BCR Fort St John BC (again)...while living in Australia (what could possibly go wrong?)
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 06:16:43 PM »
A train-filled weekend for me as I hosted Tim (BCR750) and Mike (NAR Mike) on Friday for a quick visit to my layout.  On Saturday we all went to the Calgary Supertrain show which was as big and even more packed with people than usual (I heard 7500) due to the miserable weather outside.

Today I returned to the show early to avoid the crowds and to take photos of the Spokane International Railway N Scale layout which was being displayed by Mike Pagano and Dave Mackinnon. 

I had always been a fan of this layout from the N Scale Railroading Magazine article series and it was a real treat to see it in person.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93329299@N04/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:24:25 PM by BCRail_FSJ »
Attempting Canadian prototype modelling in Australia

British Columbia Fort St John Subdivision
https://nscalefortstjohnsub.wordpress.com

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
_ snip -
Today I returned to the show early to avoid the crowds and to take photos of the Spokane International Railway N Scale layout which was being displayed by Mike Pagano and Dave Mackinnon. 

I had always been a fan of this layout from the N Scale Railroading Magazine article series and it was a real treat to see it in person.

Like you, Andy, I followed that series in the magazine with interest and it was a real treat to see the layout in person at the 2009 (IIRC) National N-Scale Convention in Portland, Oregon.

Wish I had been able to get to Calgary for SuperTrain - oh, well, some year!!

Cheers,

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +142
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
Here is some more progress on the PRR Tool Shed

The door was cut out and the interior of the walls recieved some flat black. The clear cut outs are where the windows are.
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
The rear wall castings from cast-master Superturbine (Jason) arrived Saturday. Cleaned up the edges so I could set them in place for a first look. Final cleanup, painting and applying window decals will make for an enjoyable week ahead. Robert

The scratch built round house is looking awesome Robert.  Can't wait to see it painted, weathered and details installed.   Great work!

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1102
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 11:03:34 PM »
Had big plans for the weekend, but it was the first time since October we had 70 degree weather in this part of Oregon, so I spent the daylight hours working the BLM trails with my Jeep.  Given the weather patterns around here, we will be socked in with rain and snow by next weekend and all will be right with the modeling gods  :D

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

johnhale

• Crew
  • Respect: +36
    • New Haven RR in N Scale
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 11:24:16 PM »
Spent the weekend working on my new oNeTrak module. It will be a module of the Annapolis Junction Waste Transfer station (read: they put your garbage on a train and ship it be someone else's problem).

Here is the original facility in Annapolis Junction, MD:

My module is at the state where track is down and painted, and I am working on the building now. I set it on the module to see how it would fit, I am pretty happy with the size and placement. Just have to finish the building and then build the scenery around it.

John Hale
1960's era New Haven Railroad

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 12:58:35 AM »
A train-filled weekend for me as I hosted Tim (BCR750) and Mike (NAR Mike) on Friday for a quick visit to my layout.  On Saturday we all went to the Calgary Supertrain show which was as big and even more packed with people than usual (I heard 7500) due to the miserable weather outside.

I was lucky enough to see this a few years back at a little show in Rickeall, about 20(?) miles west of Salem. A fine piece of work.

Mark in Oregon

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +608
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 08:45:19 AM »
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.