Author Topic: FS: Special Run of Western Maryland F3s - N scale  (Read 1508 times)

albabe63

• Respect: 0
FS: Special Run of Western Maryland F3s - N scale
« on: April 19, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
Folks-
I've commissioned InterMountain to do a run of Western Maryland F3 A units in N scale and they are now available!

Cost is $120 per engine or $220 if you buy one of each road number (51 & 52 - the only two the WM had!). More info on attached order form.

Email if you have questions - albabe63@gmail.com
-alex-
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

DeltaBravo

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +189
    • N-Scale and other interest
Re: FS: Special Run of Western Maryland F3s - N scale
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:20 PM »
Alex, I am looking forward to seeing mine this week.
David B.

Member WMRHS

https://undara.wordpress.com/

albabe63

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:46 PM »
as a PS - I tried posting in the "Trading Post" section, but there was no button to start a new topic there... Admins - feel free to move this post to the correct place and sorry for the inconvenience!
-alex-

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2896
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 09:26:24 PM »
as a PS - I tried posting in the "Trading Post" section, but there was no button to start a new topic there... Admins - feel free to move this post to the correct place and sorry for the inconvenience!
-alex-

Alex .. it's because you don't have enough post count .. I will leave it here for now ..

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 10:46:30 PM »
Alex, very nice!
I don't model the WM, but the idea of commissioning IM to do a run in one's favorite road name is intriguing...how does it work? You basically buy a custom run at $xxx a piece and hope to sell enough of them to break even? Is 50 units the minimum?
Thanks, Otto K.

albabe63

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:52:09 PM »
Otto-
Each manufacturer is a little different. Some have their policies posted on their website. Pick your prototype, find out who makes it, talk to them, get the template for the type of equipment, do your artwork (or have them do it - in my case it was simple since IM does a bunch of WM equipment already - they did the artwork very quickly), send it to them for an estimate, pay 50%, sign agreement, think to yourself "what have I just committed to!", wait what seems like an eternity, then wait for Chinese New Year's month long delays, then let the MFR do their QC, pay they other 50%, get your product. Along the way you also need to get the word out that you are doing the run and hopefully sell enough of them to make your money back.

For IM, the minimum engine run was 100 pieces (50 of each road number, could have broken it down a little more - but the WM only had 51 & 52).
For rolling stock (boxcars, etc) the minimum run numbers are higher (around 300-500 pcs, but you can have multiple road numbers). Depending on MFR and when they are running the specific type of product - you can expect the process to take at least 6 months, sometimes years... I got lucky and caught IM just as they were doing the F3s. I contacted them at the end of June last year...
-alex-

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »
Thanks Alex, appreciate your response. I sure do hope you get to break even and then some!
Kind regards, Otto K.

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 11:43:00 PM »
We had IM do a special run of U18 locomotives for our museum (Colorado Model Railroad Museum) and I got Lee to write up the process as it was then:

(on page 2)
http://www.gfsm.org/NewsLetters/GFSM2014-01-January.pdf

Bill Kepner