Author Topic: Place Names on the Allegheny Eastern  (Read 972 times)

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
Place Names on the Allegheny Eastern
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:49:14 AM »
A few months ago I decided to make my layout freelance. I have been using fictionalized place names on my layout, but I'm having second thoughts. One of the original reasons for doing this was to allow myself some latitude on motive power purchases. I could run some locomotives I liked (and could afford) that the PRR didn't own.

For a week or so I've been having second thoughts on this. The fictional names aren't cutting it. They just aren't Pennsy enough. I also started using the pre -war (WWII) tower designations. Towers like ALTO and SLOPE are designated as JK and BO.

I'm toying with idea of Pennsyfying the All East and reverting to the original names. This means I will also use Pennsylvania lettering and the like on my equipmant and the Pennsyesque Allegheny Eastern livery will disappear.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:32:21 AM by kelticsylk »

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2106
Re: Place Names on the Allegheny Eastern
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 02:55:53 AM »
You are lucky you changed your mind sooner rather than later . You still can retain AE as a sub short line that crosses the PRR at some junction like Beaverdale , where my Mother was born , or not . Then there is South Fork that has a spur heading south IIRC , That could be your AE , my Aunt Sue had a BBQ place there .

Richie Dost

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2042
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
Re: Place Names on the Allegheny Eastern
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 07:33:18 AM »
If you pull out a map of the 1920's PRR, there are a ton of lines that dissapeared, mostly as a result of the PC merger.   Some actually went places.  To me one of the best freelancer concepts would be to take one of those lines as a shortline that survived, use real place names, continue the PRR feel and legacy.

Living along the 'real' A&E, it was still very strongly PRR up until Conrail.    Today there's only a few signs left that give you the 'ah-HA' moment that says PRR.   The A&E made it, barely, kind of, although we nearly lost it in 1980.  But there are other routes

A good example would be the freelancing that would have resulted if the Kinzua Reservoir had never cut the line between Warren and Olean.  Would that have survived as a Pittsburgh-Buffalo route?   Would it be part of the WNYP today?  It had the lowest grades, and low grades usually win.   Similar status on the Low-Grade; I'll tell you there are even railroad professionals today that look at that and say 'How did we let that one go?' .  It would have been an eastern version of Montana Rail Link had it survived.   Strategically, that was one of those that 'just missed'.

So you get to use real place names that had a real railroad, depots, etc. on a route that is now abandoned.   Ex-PRR. 

I do have to admit that I like Dave Vollmer's approach using a PRR-theme layout and running everything from PRR in the 20's through Conrail as the mood strikes him.  Once you get that 'feel', you've got it.  And he's evolved to a very specific 'place name' - Lewistown - from more generic PRR beginnings.   

You can still keep the shortline name if you want, but I think pulling more prototype structures and names into a concept enforces a discipline that makes a better model and modeler.   PRR is still out there if you look -  the position light signals are still along the A&E at Corry at MS - makes for some nice shots.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:39:54 AM by randgust »