Author Topic: Illinois Central/Canadian National in N scale  (Read 44643 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
Re: Illinois Central/Canadian National in N scale
« Reply #255 on: October 26, 2013, 12:24:00 AM »
Yeah I was wondering about KCS,  but I can't think off hand where they run. I know I've seen them in central Illinois though.

Oo. Sorry I didn't see this earlier, Mike. You've probably figured it out by now.

KCS bought the ex-Gateway Western/ex-ICG/ex-GM&O line between East St. Louis and Kansas City, via Roodhouse, crossing the Mississippi on the swing bridge at Louisiana, MO. There's a branch to Springfield. Traffic is very light on the Missouri and Illinois lines... a train a day, maybe?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:25:41 AM by C855B »

Spades

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
Quick thoughts on a small branch yard to be included on a project layout:

Mike

This is just me but I would lengthen the left stub track and shorten the length of the passing siding.  Operating a SD9/35 and a 60' car an 18" seems about the minimum for a stub track. Large hands and manual uncoupling.

Enjoying the thread.

Greg

nscalemike

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #257 on: October 26, 2013, 07:41:32 PM »
Thanks for the comments everyone! Looking forward to this

One of my main concerns too was the stub track length.  The stub is designed simply to allow the locos to cut off and run out to the shop so I figured room for 2 max. But it is tight.  The flip side is for every inch I expand that stub I loose from the run around.  Right now its only a 4' siding, which about caps the train size.  I dont want to be much shorther than that.  I might pop through the drywall.  Thats a 2x6 wall.  I can't go all the way through but I could buy myself another 4" or so.

I'm fully expecting by mid November I will have major news on this.   A hint: completely prototype based and hours of research invested so far.  Amazing things happen at 2AM while you are feeding little babies!!

Mike     
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:52:41 PM by nscalemike »