Author Topic: Weekend Update 4/7/13  (Read 13981 times)

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +2894
Re: Weekend Update 4/7/13
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
No modeling this past week.

Did go to Hawaii to see my army-daughter.

Of course had to go here...

But I did get some shots of the local road...

I love that little railroad museum .. they are doing some pretty cool things there restoring that stuff ..

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2013, 08:16:50 AM »
@ LJUDICE,  I am searching my files looking for plan sent to me for a "geezer gate," the name affectionately given by n-trak friends to an apparatus they built to eliminate the need for a duck under.  There may be a plan posted out there somewhere.
From memory, I believe their gate opens to allow modelers to walk into the center operating area of a n-trak exhibit layout.
Goodluck.  ;)
Found this link complete with drawings and pictures.   Cannot attesting to how well it works, but it is A solution, if not THE solution.
http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/2043
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 08:25:02 AM by rogergperkins »

HuskerN

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2013, 08:37:22 AM »
just received my latest Shapeway creation.  Just getting it prepped for paint now.

This is a Trail King bottom dump trailer:

HuskerN

www.nscaleaddiction.blogspot.com

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +238
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »
@ LJUDICE,  I am searching my files looking for plan sent to me for a "geezer gate," the name affectionately given by n-trak friends to an apparatus they built to eliminate the need for a duck under.  There may be a plan posted out there somewhere.
From memory, I believe their gate opens to allow modelers to walk into the center operating area of a n-trak exhibit layout.
Goodluck.  ;)
Found this link complete with drawings and pictures.   Cannot attesting to how well it works, but it is A solution, if not THE solution.
http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/showgallery.php/cat/2043

Roger - thanks for that link...  It's a nice solution and I can see a lot of situations where you just have no other options available.  I ended up deciding that there was just no downside to putting the bulbs in at either end - I had the space and it won't impact the railroad. In fact it actually leads to a single very long mainline run, which is what I had always wanted.  I think I can get about a total 150' mainline out of it - about 4 or so scale miles, which makes up for losing the branch line in the original plan.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 10:26:41 AM »
Been a busy week at the NMRA / PCR Iron Horse Express Convention in Dublin, CA.
Lots of groovy presentations and layout tours by lots of master modelers.
We, the Silicon Valley Free-moN anarcho-collective, were lucky that the convention gave us a 17'x32' room to set up in for the week:

A bit tight, and of course we had to leave out a bunch of modules like the Bridge O' Wonder, Alviso and others.
But a decent 150' of mainline circuit.

We had to share the room with Tom Knapp (MMR #101)'s amazing little Nn3 module of 1920's San Luis Obispo:

Not only does he bash together his own Nn3 locos from Marklin & other mechs, but installs DCC decoders and SOUND in some of them  :scared:
The dude rocks.
And makes our layout look big and clumsy next to his.

Nils forgot to bring the Wood Mill building mock-up (a lovely large industry chunk) but has been busy scenicking some sections and wiring up a bunch of lights, including a flasher on top of the log grabber.
I thought lights wouldn't really stand out on modules but his LEDs look great and add a lot of "life" to the modules, so now it looks like I need to learn how to install and wire LEDs  :scared:

Here's the video:

Spuds, who doesn't have a module yet, makes up for it by finding his way into almost every shot.
So feel free to play "Where's Waldo" / "Spottin' Spuds" and/or a drinking game (which would make the video look really good by the end  :ashat:)

Well, it's back down to Dublin for the last day of the Convention, then it's cramming all this back in the car :scared:
Stop by the Dublin Holiday Inn before 5ish if you get the chance.

Thanks for looking.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2285
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
Been a busy week at the NMRA / PCR Iron Horse Express Convention in Dublin, CA.
...17'x32' room...

I dunno about that carpet, M.C. ... yikes!

Tom's Nn3 is stunning. "Take that, you HO'ers!" :D

FEC Railway

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2013, 11:04:46 AM »
here's another one of the chip hopper...this is a bone valley scale models (of shapeways fame) project from richard thomason's article in N scale railroading.  since moving to columbus/fort benning, ga my interest in all things short line has been rekindled.  this one is destined for AN paint. 

anyone wanna take a stab at the font for the large lettering?  color match?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1399228

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +607
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »
I was working in Pittsburg on Wednesday, and I happened to catch a Pennsy commuter train leaning into the curve to the bridge over the Sacramento River.

In fact I was working in Pittsburg on Wednesday, not far from where that curve would be. When I got home, this little beauty was waiting on my doorstep.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 01:37:45 PM by eric220 »
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

bc6

• Crew
    • PRLX Leasing
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2013, 01:02:33 PM »
Here's my attempt to add Microscale SP decals to a Kato Kodachrome locomotive.

MRLX1020

• Crew
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2013, 03:50:22 PM »
Cool car!  Any guess if they will be making these in smooth sided cars - similar to what the Gulf Mobile & Ohio had?

here's another one of the chip hopper...this is a bone valley scale models (of shapeways fame) project from richard thomason's article in N scale railroading.  since moving to columbus/fort benning, ga my interest in all things short line has been rekindled.  this one is destined for AN paint. 

anyone wanna take a stab at the font for the large lettering?  color match?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1399228

RWCJr

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »
Completed the roundhouse roof this weekend. The two rows on both sides of the ventilation level are just clipped in (sub-roof fits in between the trusses) to be removed when adding the celestory window casements and rear wall. Robert

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2013, 07:31:44 PM »
HuskerN, who makes that grain trailer?

kelticsylk

• Crew
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2013, 08:22:14 PM »
Completed the roundhouse roof this weekend. The two rows on both sides of the ventilation level are just clipped in (sub-roof fits in between the trusses) to be removed when adding the celestory window casements and rear wall. Robert

Great lookin' roundhouse, something a bit different from the ubiquitous "Heljan" look.

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2013, 08:54:08 PM »

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
Just finished grinding up a whole lotta dead leaves in the blender.  Ended up with a plastic shoe box full of them, unsifted.  I  was curious as to what the weight was; it came in at 1.5 lbs. 

Now, as to reason for my temporary insanity:  there will be a small regional gathering of  :ashat: s in my basement next Sunday, April 14th, the majority being SPFs currently with layouts under construction.  I figured that since spring has almost arrived here, that dead leaves will be in short supply in a month or two, so I better act fast, plus I'll have extra to give away.

Any other Detroit area  :ashat: s out there?
Bob