Author Topic: Industrial Trackside Structure - Mfg Business, Publishing Co, Etc.  (Read 2994 times)

Burlington Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
Re: Industrial Trackside Structure - Mfg Business, Publishing Co, Etc.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 06:02:24 AM »
I personally think you have a winner with this building!  The Torrit system (blue filter) should definitely be offered as a separately available item, also.  As far as the air conditioners for the whole building goes, it's not totally uncommon for any business that needs a temperature controlled environment.  This is sometimes the case for a machine shop that needs to hold very tight tolerances. Also, there is a fairly good range for the time period the building represents, easily dating from the present to the late fifties.  This should prove to be very popular if fairly priced.
Everywhere West

Roger Holmes

• Crew
  • Respect: +580
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 12:38:40 PM »
Really like the art deco look of the curved corner and the canopy that mates with it.  Reminds me of a very compressed version of the Benjamin Moore Paint factory that I worked at in Melrose Park (Chicago) IL in the late 60's.
Best regards,

Roger

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.  Those who understand the binary system and those who don't.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8547
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
Very well done!  Exactly what the market has been lacking!

I only wish I had room for one.

rail and tie

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 01:40:53 PM »
 :D Thanks for the kudo's guys. I like how this one turned out.

Price looks like it will be $44.95 and will include the Dust Extraction System kit and 3 or 4 air conditioner kits along with a couple of different 3D engraved signs.

To answer a few questions that have been asked here:

Yes, will be releasing the Dust Extraction System and air conditioners as seperate details.

Not sure about the Nitrogen tanks as they are 2 piece of aluminum tube with a cap and a blob of paint to get the curvature of the top of the tank and then 4 pieces of .008" wire stuck on.

There is a trackside door and might add a bit of a loading dock, though the prototype just used a sliding ramp from the building.

I have to build another one for the instructions as I accidently deleted the build photos when I cleaned up my camera memory today!!! :facepalm: :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:46:59 PM by rail and tie »
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises
www.interactionhobbies.com

""Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +7957
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 03:52:12 PM »
$45? Now THAT'S awesome!

Can't wait to see these out. Definitely a cool model that's unlike anything else out there, and so much cooler than the "cute" wood buildings that seem to be 90% of the market's offerings.

Pennsy

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »
I love it. I can't wait to get one of these and some of those dust extraction units too :)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3123
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 07:33:22 AM »

Not sure about the Nitrogen tanks as they are 2 piece of aluminum tube with a cap and a blob of paint to get the curvature of the top of the tank and then 4 pieces of .008" wire stuck on.

rail and tie, Sounds like a perfect master for a resin casting to me!

I love to looks of the structrue too. 

One question, can the modeler choose where the doors and windows are placed?  I.e is the model modular in design or are the placements dictated by openings in the walls?

Rossford Yard

• Crew
  • Respect: +144
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »
Love the look, too and feel it is much needed.  Will rearrange a bit to find a spot on the IHB, since it has a Chicago look to me.

I hope all goes well and we can have both more structure variety an at the sub $50 price point, since Walthers would likely be $79 or more for a similar new structure.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1527
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 08:40:13 AM »
One question, can the modeler choose where the doors and windows are placed?  I.e is the model modular in design or are the placements dictated by openings in the walls?

If you have a sharp xacto and a good scale ruler, then you have multiple door locations whether or not the kit is scribed for them (like Pikestiff/Rix).

Better question - will it come with only the doors shown, or will you tos sin several extra of each style?  I'm happy to cut the door locations myself, but I'd need two or three doors on the back to make it work on my layout.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Gozer the Gozerian

• Crew
  • Respect: +1100
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:50 AM »
Nice job!  Really like the look and lines of this building.  I will be getting one of these for sure.  Nice to finally see an interesting design coming out of a small Laser Kit company.  I especially like the build, very clean.

Joe
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor!

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +5399
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2013, 10:55:26 AM »
Really like that one.  Adds some post transition/pre modern architecture to the field.  Badly needed.
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

rail and tie

• Crew
    • Inter-Action Hobbies
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »
If you have a sharp xacto and a good scale ruler, then you have multiple door locations whether or not the kit is scribed for them (like Pikestiff/Rix).

Better question - will it come with only the doors shown, or will you tos sin several extra of each style?  I'm happy to cut the door locations myself, but I'd need two or three doors on the back to make it work on my layout.

We could add some extra doors. They are pretty simple when you see how they are constructed in layers. Always tough to cover all the requests, but we can try a few!!

As for modularity, it is tought to do that in this design, however, we are working on a modular industrial condo that will allow for a pick and choose layout.... more on that soon!!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Enterprises
www.interactionhobbies.com

""Leonard, check it out. I've bought an N Gauge locomotive. Half the size of HO. Look...it fits in my mouth!"

Pomperaugrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +1197
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 01:33:39 PM »
We could add some extra doors. They are pretty simple when you see how they are constructed in layers. Always tough to cover all the requests, but we can try a few!!

As for modularity, it is tought to do that in this design, however, we are working on a modular industrial condo that will allow for a pick and choose layout.... more on that soon!!

I'm really looking forward to the modular industrial condo information.  In the mean time, I am in for one of these shop kits too!

Eric

LIRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +1784
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 04:09:37 PM »
Very nice building. I agree. I'd buy the ventilation details if they were sold separately. The roof needs an exhaust fan tho....toilet exhaust is always separate