Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/31/13  (Read 15116 times)

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
Re: Weekend Update 3/31/13
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2013, 12:18:23 AM »
Thanks, Otto.
I got what you meant  :D
The "manicured" stone portal is there because that's what Nils gave me to stick there.
He cut the shapes and stuck the rock castings on, then I got to paint and throw dirt & rock on it.
The portal needed to be removable for track cleaning (the top of the mountain comes off too), and what he had was the stone one.
Probably should make it just blasted rock like Summit Tunnel at Donner Pass, but I had to leave something for the owner of the module to do  :P
Cheers!

And lots of fab work posted this weekend.
Really dig those trainphone antennae.
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1953
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2013, 12:34:57 AM »
You're welcome MC, you can come here and just " paint and throw some dirt..." on my layout anytime...  :D
And while you're at it, bring your eight-year old, I need a bunch of code 40 turnouts built....
Best, Otto K.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1327
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2013, 01:25:44 AM »
Cajonpassfan:  No insult intended.  I've met several people, and know of at least one popular song, who/which refer to snowsheds as "tunnels", so just assumed that the one in the picture was what you were asking about.  And, given the short hill above it, it seemed to be a reasonable question.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:45 AM »
NK, fair enough, thank you. What song is that? I thought I knew them all...
Otto

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2013, 03:18:50 AM »
C W McCall, "Wolf Creek Pass".  We drove over the pass in the late 60s, no tunnel.  My father lived in the area in the 40s, no tunnel.  In the mid 70s we came from Chama up through Pagosa Springs, and on to Durango, missing the pass.  Stopping in Pagosa Springs, at the general store, we saw a postcard of "The Tunnel", labeled as such, clearly showing a fairly new snowshed.

From the Wikipedia entry for "Wolf Creek Pass":
"The song describes the truck careening down through a "tunnel" (during which process several crates of chickens stacked on the back of the truck are inadvertently lost) and eventually into a feed store in Pagosa Springs. This tunnel is actually a snow shed: the song predates the only true tunnel on the pass by 30 years. However, the snow shed is on the east side of the pass while Pagosa Springs is on the west side, making this sequence of events impossible."

Also, it appears there is now a true tunnel on the pass, as well as many other improvements:
"A 900-foot (270 m) tunnel on the eastern portion was opened November 5, 2005. Construction was completed in the Summer of 2006, with the highway fully widened and drainage projects along the route completed."

Incidentally, the song claims the clearance is 12 feet, but the highway is a major truck route, so that seems very unlikely.  I doubt that a trucker would "lose the top row of chickens" going through it.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2013, 09:57:18 PM »
NK,
Anything with an 1948 Peterbuilt in it is okay with me, chickens or not, even if it is a seventies' song
Thanks for "enlightening" me... :)
Otto

nkalanaga

• Crew
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »
Yes, I'd take a 1948 Peterbilt or two form my 1974 layout,  They really did last that long out West, although not with the big companies.  A pair of owner-operators like Earl and CW could very easily have been driving one.
N Kalanaga
Be well