Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/31/13  (Read 15117 times)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8020
    • Conrail 1285
Re: Weekend Update 3/31/13
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2013, 03:44:22 PM »
Somewhere in PRR land.  Baltimore, Philly, or Jersey City. 

Here is a small diarama I am working on to bring to the PRRT&HS annual meeting.  It is a small industrial street scene setting to feature the Shapeways PRR rubber-tired switcher.  Complete with cobble street.

Very cool! I have one of those, but haven't painted it up yet. Where did you find photos of how to paint/decal it. That's part of what I've been waiting on.

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
Ed, There are photos of it in one of the Morning Sun Diesel Years book.

Regards

Al
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1139
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2013, 04:00:54 PM »
It's been awhile since I have modelled, but managed to make some progress on my Cisco high bridge.  Taking a cue from Mark Dance, I re-did my deck with a 3/16" brass square tube core to align it.  On his suggestion (thanks!), I also was able to use telescoping tubing as a strong and secure way to join my two arch halves.  Lots more to do, including some lateral bracing of the decks and the diagonal braces on one half, but this is starting to look like something.

For scale, this bridge is 25" long, and could easily hold up a 1 kg weight over the center.

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2013, 04:25:09 PM »
No modeling for me.  I had PRK surgery (photorefractive keratectomy) on both eyes on Wednesday, so while they heal I have poor vision.  Hopefully they'll settle down soon.  Next big order on the Juniata Division to-do list is to tear down the layout and pack it for shipping to Colorado.
Dave,

You moving to Colorado?  What part?

Erik

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +8550
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2013, 04:56:30 PM »
Dave,

You moving to Colorado?  What part?

Erik

Colorado Springs...  I'll be teaching physics and meteorology at the Academy.

Nilmadic

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2013, 05:29:43 PM »
Awesome looking bridge Scott!

Coxy

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
    • Coxy's N Scale and Railroading Blog
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »

Mmmm Joint Line!!

Erik W

• Crew
  • Respect: +715
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2013, 06:22:36 PM »
Sweet!  Good job.  I had a cousin who taught history there.  She really liked the area.  And, as a big fan of Colorado myself, I really like it down there.  I've been in Colorado 17 years now and am still regulatory amazed at how beautiful it is here.

Erik

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +66
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »
Just a day of decaling for me...

The S.

dougnelson

• Crew
  • Respect: +2064
    • PRR N Scale
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
Very cool! I have one of those, but haven't painted it up yet. Where did you find photos of how to paint/decal it. That's part of what I've been waiting on.
Hey Ed -
Everything you wanted to know about the PRR rubber-tired switchers and plenty of photos can be found at:  http://prr.railfan.net/RubberTiredSwitchers.html

BCOL 747

• Crew
  • Respect: +143
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2013, 06:59:33 PM »
No work on the layout lately but I have been working on a SAR/Kaslo resin SD40-2F “Red Barn” for a future article in N Scale Magazine. Here is a little preview on the final construction. Now off to the paint shop.

Nice work everyone. It is a pleasure to post here.

Chris

Chris Dittmar
BC Rail Chetwynd Sub, Circa 1988

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2013, 07:12:28 PM »

Isn't Cheyenne Mountain there? You'll be safe in Judgement Day!
 8)
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »
Got the decoder dropped in on my new Trainmaster, as well as putting one in my other CNJ SD35.  (glad I had an Easter gig this morning to pay for it.)  Now to do some speed matching on them in Decoder Pro.  Had some problems with my PA/PB, bad solder joint on the board to the tab (my fault) on the PB, and the PA seemed to get back to normal,  when in reverse, it would suddenly go into forward at full speed.  No idea why.

Anyone know why CNJ had the airhorns on the SD35s separated (tunnel clearance?)?  Three chimes: the two smallest facing forward on the fireman's side front edge of the cab, and the largest facing aft on the back of the engineer's side.  Also, are there any detail parts that would be best to use to depict this, or just cut off the top small horn on the Atlas 3 chime for the 2 chime and use an F unit single horn for the rear facing one? 

Here's a decent view of the airhorns: http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/emd/sd35/cnj2502ef.jpg
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:07:02 PM by Hornwrecker »
Bob

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +81
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2013, 08:46:25 PM »
No modeling for me.  I had PRK surgery (photorefractive keratectomy) on both eyes on Wednesday, so while they heal I have poor vision.  Hopefully they'll settle down soon.  Next big order on the Juniata Division to-do list is to tear down the layout and pack it for shipping to Colorado.

AF pay for it?

I had mine done at Wright-Pat back in 07, went from 20/400 to 20/15 in both eyes in the matter of weeks.  Still have some night vision issues, but nothing horrible, just some halos around lights.

Power Stroke

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2013, 08:50:12 PM »
Concerning the Atlas GS&SV, I still have not been pleased with the look and feel of the upper and lower sections. So once more unto the breech. I am much happier with the way it looks and functions now on the lower section, and this will be permanent. The upper section saw the removal of the turnout, and the moving of the Shell station, the diner, and the firehouse. The area behind the gas station will be filled with Blair Lines A to Z used cars.
I was also having issues with my pics as of late, so I downloaded the owner's manual for my Canon (long since lost) and reeducated muself on it's use. I took some new closeups which I dig but man does it show just how dirty a layout gets. I also need to seriously improve the lighting. Next stop, Home Depot.
I hope you enjoy.