Author Topic: I See What You Mean  (Read 1759 times)

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
I See What You Mean
« on: April 28, 2013, 12:44:00 AM »
I've heard folks complain about the Ken-Ray/Whoever BP20 shells for a long time. I had only seen the shell itself in photos. Never seen one assembled until now...

Just doesn't say BP20 to me either. It's not so much the nose or even the details as it is the length. It's not just short, it's way too short. Like a Lionel or Marx model.

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1249
Re: I See What You Mean
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 12:58:06 AM »
Are these the Father Nature shells of legend? I used to hear about his stuff, but never seen any photos. He suposedly made resin vehicles too. I always wanted to see those.
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +198
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
SPF Alert .... Incoming (comments) I hope...

Love the BP20's  ... I can't wait to read the discussion.

Alwyn Cutmore

• Crew
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:58:01 AM »
I have had dealings with Ron and he is a great guy. I do not think that these are father nature or anyone else. I do believe they are from some freelance modeller. I have had a good look at all three units that are offered 1 Powered A , 1 Powered B and a dummy A. They appear o be on a Con Cor DL109 mech. If you have a close look at the castings they are pretty darn rough. Not as bad as the father nature ones I have but they are pretty coarse and have more mistakes than a grade one spelling contest. Some one will be happy with them and good luck but for mine I will leave them there. I wish I had the dollars to look at some of his other goodies especially his H10.

Check out this link to see the whole shooting match

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N-Scale-Con-Cor-Mechanisms-with-Resin-Shark-Passenger-Shells-/390586020906?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item5af0bdb42a

Regards

Al
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 07:22:17 AM by Alwyn Cutmore »
Al Cutmore
Slobbering Pennsy Shark Nose Freak
Australia

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:15:31 AM »
I have had dealings with Ron and he is a great guy.

No disrespect intended, but what does Ron's being a great guy got to do with the quality of the model?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:50:42 AM »
I bought one of those once,sight unseen..Took one look at it,gave it away.I don't even think he started with good shark shells,I think he used bad castings,and just glued two together to make a longer shell.Didn't even do a good job at that.It's like,30 feet to short,LOL!!
  I'm working on a set,but it's gonna be a while.I may make them available.I'm making these,and CNJ Babyfaces.I figured out a cool way to make the sides.I'm going to machine the sides as one flat piece,with all the ribs,doors,etc,machined in to make a mold.I'll cast one of each side,then use those as masters.Then I'll inlet those right into the body.ONly problem with a BP20.It's SO long,it may be impossible to get a straight casting.THey do goofy yhings when you do long,straight stuff.It may be a kit with a front,solid roof,sides,and back.The CNJ's should be no trouble.I just ordered a few tiny milling cutters to do the sides.
  The BP20's will fit Con Cor DL109 chassis.If you turn the back truck around,it's close to the correct length..

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 01:17:45 PM »
No disrespect intended, but what does Ron's being a great guy got to do with the quality of the model?

I'm sure it doesn't. Just commentary on his character. Al's a great guy and it has nothing to do with his models (which, are also great).

Except that time he tried to Skype me at 5:30am...  :D :D
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."