Author Topic: Is the Mop really that unpopular?  (Read 2824 times)

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
Re: Is the Mop really that unpopular?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »
Kisatchie:  Is it just my browser, or has Dee disappeared?  Her comments are there, but no picture...
N Kalanaga
Be well

bill pearce

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 01:47:06 AM »
There have been surprising to me a fair number of cars anad locomotives made available, but I'm sure I see more of them because the MP was one of the 4 roads that "served" my city. The former yard, separated from teh Rock Island yard by a grain elevator, is now used by the UP. If I'm right the one they had is where there is a locomotive and car servicing facility.
Spend more time at swap meets and such. They will show up.
Accupaint is now Tru Color, I have been told. It certainly looks and smells the same. I was once told that the person that sold Accupaint had special blends that he had made up at an automotive paint store , and transfered from a gallon can to the little tiny bottles. If only the bottles were glass, some of my paint would still be good. That and Scalecoat are my favorites.
If it makes you feel any better, I have heard HO modelers in stores complaining about the lack of MP in their scale.

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
Kisatchie:  Is it just my browser, or has Dee disappeared?  Her comments are there, but no picture...

I still see her picture. I wonder what the problem is.

Hmm... send me lots of
money and I'll take care
of the problem...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +88
    • MiNi Modutrak
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 10:39:57 AM »
When I started in N it seemed there was a lot of MP fans out there.  Especially on Trainboard.  I never understood it.

I think the Colonel (a big MP modeler) over there is selling off his stuff, as he's moving up to HO.  You may want to check that out too.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
I Have a fair ammount of MP
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 12:54:36 PM »
          I have always liked the MP and laterI learned of the subidaries like IGN  TP (once seperate) etc. The Eagle passenger trains with their semi custom E-3/E-6 and E-7's with porthole side windows ala UP 1937 E-2 diesels . Many moons back I submitted art work to Con Cor which led to their doing a Limited Edition Eagle Train Set powered by PA's. Con Cor later upgraded these cars with better art work for seperate  sale. Life Like produced E-8/9 diesels (poor nose shape) in MP Blue & Gray.See old posts for photos of my MP passenger train. There have been several B&G locos in N over the years.The Life Like early gen FA1 , the Life Like GP-18 (mentioned in an above post). Atlas Torpedo Boat passenger GP 9's which I currently run on my layout as freight power at Op Sessions. I became more aware of the Jenks Blue Dipped scheme when MP locomotives began showing up on UP trains in my area just prior to the Merger and for along time after. The old Kato GP 38 (2?) in MP blue was hard to finish as the frame edge should have had a white stripe ,paint did not adhear to Kato's black plastic,decals had to be cut apart to go between handrail stansions (posts). I finally used Chart Pac white striping tape. All my old technology Kato lokies are out of service stored away.Although it would appear that MP is well represented ,it really is not in my opinion.I would like to see some Scremin Eagle Blue SD 40's ,does anyone besides myself run their MP "Herbi"graffiti  box car or are y'all collecting them with the factory air to sell off sometime. Nate Goodman (Nato).

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 02:35:41 PM »
I have never really been a big fan.  If I were going to model the UP around the time when they merged with MP I would have one or two MP engines, maybe one in MP proper colors and one in UP yellow/gray.  But the MP was a good example of one Pacific too many!
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +284
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 01:59:15 AM »
Kisatchie:  She's back tonight, so maybe it was a temporary server glitch.  I haven't changed anything at this end. 

I like Dee.  Not only is she smarter than most of the people I have to work with, she's better looking!  Fuel filter factories in Appalachia aren't choosy...
N Kalanaga
Be well

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 09:14:26 AM »
Kisatchie:  She's back tonight, so maybe it was a temporary server glitch.  I haven't changed anything at this end. 

I like Dee.  Not only is she smarter than most of the people I have to work with, she's better looking! Fuel filter factories in Appalachia aren't choosy...

he he . . . neither are oil refineries

MP will always be popular with me - before the Borg absorbed them I say a LOT of MP stuff on through mixed freights in Baton Rouge.  And we saw, chased and photoed MP in Arkansas in the 1980's when my uncle was pastoring a church in Fort Smith.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +1049
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 09:32:28 AM »
... before the Borg absorbed them ...

Other way around. While the finance guys will say the UP bought the MP, operationally the MP took over. What happened is UP management retired en-masse, and the younger MP management bubbled to the top. Frankly, it explains why the UP got into so much trouble in the '90s. MP's bare-bones operating style was more suited to the granger road it was, and was woefully lacking when it came to running a big-pipeline transcon.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents. We just don't tell anybody. -Bob Ross

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »
When the MP-WP-UP (Mop-up) merger came about, the proposed name was Pacific Rail Systems, with an AAR code of PRSI. It colloquially became known as "Prissy." One or two weeks of hearing that alarmed management and that thought was 86'd and UP was applied everywhere.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +483
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
When the MP-WP-UP (Mop-up) merger came about, the proposed name was Pacific Rail Systems, with an AAR code of PRSI. It colloquially became known as "Prissy." One or two weeks of hearing that alarmed management and that thought was 86'd and UP was applied everywhere.

Darn it - there could have been some great boxcar logos.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

"Yes there are somethings that are "off;" but hey, so what." ~ Wyatt

"I'm trying to have less cranial rectal inversion with this." - Ed K.

"There's more to MRR life than the Wheezy & Nowheresville." C855B

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +27
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
MP will always be popular with me

I'm a closet MP fan myself.  MoPac power showed up all the time in the area I lived and of course an hour away was huge MP presence in Fort Worth.   Also loved their open-deck "not-transfer" cabooses, which were also not uncommon...even on the MKT line near my house.

I think we've established that the MoPac really isn't "unpopular" at all...just about all their major "modern" diesel motive power (and not even sure anyone touched on the Atlas release like GP38 and MP15) is released with the exception of the SD40-2's.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +262
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »

I think we've established that the MoPac really isn't "unpopular" at all...just about all their major "modern" diesel motive power (and not even sure anyone touched on the Atlas release like GP38 and MP15) is released with the exception of the SD40-2's.

Doug, adding to your exception list;  SD40's & U30C's never got released either.

Also don't forget about the little U23B Atlas did.

Pennsy

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 12:01:56 PM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned BLI E6's
http://www.broadway-limited.com/1662emde6amopac7003eagleschemewparagon2sounddcdccn.aspx

Centralia Car Shops/Intermountain passenger cars
http://www.intermountain-railway.com/distrib/ccs/html/ccs6559.htm

Wheels of Time baggage car in both Eagle and Jenks Blue
http://www.wheelsotime.com/70-ft-bag-exp/

I've always loved the Eagle paint scheme and now I finally have a factory done train :) Of course all of the above are now very difficult to find. And I think its because the MoPac is popular and the manuf. don't make a enough.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Has a degree in American History & Culture.
  • Respect: +2300
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »
Could it be that Mopac modelers are quietly the happiest modelers out there, with such key stuff actually available?