Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/10/13  (Read 13774 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +4596
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Weekend Update 3/10/13
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21:10 AM »
Looks great Smike. You might want to consider filing off the sprue mark on the roof.  :ashat:

:facepalm:  :D
I was so impressed by the weathering, I totally missed that thingie.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:22:53 AM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

Smike

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »
I can fix that, but it serves a purpose to draw your attention away from the incorrect reporting marks... :facepalm:

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6785
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2013, 08:42:54 PM »
Well, I'm late to the party, but the parts were ordered last week to fix a locomotive that I broke.  Unfortunately, while trying to remove the shell from a B23-7, the walkway separated from the hood, and the handrails didn't survive unscathed.  The engineer's front corner handrail and the fireman's side long hood handrail both broke where they meet the cab.  While trying to find parts through an ebay seller, I located a shell for the third Seaboard System B30-7 that I missed out on buying when they were released.  So, for a sum significantly less than a new locomotive and DCC decoder, I bought a new hood, new trucks, and a fuel tank.  I turned this Seaboard Coast Line B23-7 . . .

into this SBD B30-7!   :)

I just need to hit the fuel tank with a coat of black paint, and (other than weathering), it's done!  Well, I also still need to reprogram the decoder for a new address, but I'll hook up the laptop to the layout later and fire up JMRI.

Now, I have all three B30s, and my fleet is just that much more representative of the high horsepower four-axle GEs that SBD was running between Florida and Richmond.  The B30s were the newest power in the era that I'm modeling.  Honestly, the Family Lines shell did provide a nice bit of variety, but Atlas put the wrong trucks on it, which really bothered me.  The prototype #5100 rode on traded-in Blombergs.  I could have bought replacement Blombergs from Atlas and replaced them (before I broke the handrails), but I like this locomotive as a B30-7 better for now.  I can't wait to run my first triple header of matching SBD B30-7s tonight!

Oh, I also finished another project that you can just make out in the background.  I finished relettering a passenger car to turn a PRR 10-6 sleeper into a Seaboard Coast Line car.

DFF
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:44:52 PM by davefoxx »

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

rogergperkins

• Crew
  • Modeling the B&O in central IL in autumn of 1940's
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2013, 04:06:46 PM »

Kato E-8 custom painted locally.
These are double headlight shells that were included when I purchased from Kato USA a mechanism and B&O decorated E-8 during 2013.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:08:29 PM by rogergperkins »

fifer

• Crew
  • Albuquerque Canuel & Tijeras RR
  • Respect: +60
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2013, 12:40:17 AM »
I am finally done with the entire current ATSF Work Train.

Mike
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
 When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
 I wrote ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
 -- John Lennon

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1326
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2013, 02:07:33 AM »
Fifer:  This is not a criticism, as I assume you know a lot more about ATSF practices than I do.

The general rule on the NP, while my father was working there, in the 50s and 60s, was that wreck cranes were to be handled with the boom trailing whenever possible.  The idea was that if the tiedowns came loose, and the boom swing out of line, it wouldn't snag on lineside objects.  It might still do considerable damage hitting them, but it was much less likely to derail the crane.   About the only times they moved a crane boom-first was when pushing it into position at the wreck.  This could still involve a long move, depending on where the nearest runaround location was.

In any case, you've done a fine job, and it looks like your division is ready for any problems.
N Kalanaga
Be well

fifer

• Crew
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2013, 08:33:43 AM »
Fifer:  This is not a criticism, as I assume you know a lot more about ATSF practices than I do.

The general rule on the NP, while my father was working there, in the 50s and 60s, was that wreck cranes were to be handled with the boom trailing whenever possible.  The idea was that if the tiedowns came loose, and the boom swing out of line, it wouldn't snag on lineside objects.  It might still do considerable damage hitting them, but it was much less likely to derail the crane.   About the only times they moved a crane boom-first was when pushing it into position at the wreck.  This could still involve a long move, depending on where the nearest runaround location was.

In any case, you've done a fine job, and it looks like your division is ready for any problems.

I think you would be correct , I just never saw one in transit and it would make sense.

Thanks , Mike
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
 I wrote ‘happy’.
They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
 -- John Lennon

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2013, 08:44:59 AM »
I love that custom crane tender Mike and your attention to Indian flair is a feather in your cap .

Richie Dost

fifer

• Crew
    • Fifer Hobby Supply
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2013, 08:54:32 AM »
I love that custom crane tender Mike and your attention to Indian flair is a feather in your cap .

Thanks Richie , That is exactly why I can not uderstand Woodland or Preiser not doing some American Indians. It was the basis of travel to the southwest in the 50's and 60's .

Mike
 I wrote ‘happy’.
 -- John Lennon